Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have experience with a white Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is an interesting article from Fortune magazine:

This Could Become the Most Popular Color for Cars
Madeline Farber
Nov 30, 2016
If you notice an influx of blue cars on the road in the coming years, you may be picking up on a trend: It's about to replace white as the most popular car color.

That's according to Jane Harrington, who's a color styling manager in PPG Industries' (ppg, -0.61%) auto-paint unit. Harrington tells MarketWatch that she's noticed more blue cars at auto shows, especially when car makers are revealing a new make or model. In the past, she said, the cars showcased in the reveals were usually black, silver, or red.
(*Isn't it interesting that the TM3 reveal cars were red, silver, and matte black!)

White has been the most popular color for the past five years, according to Harrington. The color overtook silver in 2011 which reigned for about 10 years until then. But thanks to Apple (aapl, -0.53%), white became a "cool" color that was also a sign of luxury—thus initiating its popularity in recent years, she said.

As for why blue, Harrington explained it's the "advantage of variety" that the color offers. Blue is versatile and can shift toward gray or green, and can also be made lighter or darker. Essentially, blue is one of the easiest colors to customize.

“You can’t do that with every color,” she said.

Automakers like Tesla (tsla, +2.41%) are already picking up on the trend. According to MarketWatch, the company debuted three new colors last year—a shiny black, a deep blue, and a dark silver—after determining that the most popular colors for its cars were black, gray metallic, and blue metallic.

So, if you can believe this article, base white and pearl white have not been that popular for the Model S. It will be interesting to see if Tesla sticks with its existing colors for the TM3 or whether it introduces a new color palette for this model.

Reactions: internalaudit
@samsonm3 i'm going white interior. I read and watched reviews and it looks like it is very durable and pretty easy to clean.

I just would like the design studio to be up soon just so I have an idea of what is going to be offered and what the cost will be. I am sure some, if not, many of the options on the Model S/X will not be available to the Model 3 and I am fine with that, but really would like to know even if I can't confirm my order for months.

You hear that Elon?...just a few informational crumbs is all I am asking.
I don't think that will happen. It appears, (to me anyway), that Tesla is keeping all under wraps to avoid cannibalizing MS & MX sales. That is why (I believe) he tweeted out the M3 will be "inferior" to the flagship MS. Tesla needs the MS and MX to continue selling before the M3 is released.