Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have info on if the Corded Charger will come back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm...A few extra amps for overnight charging so your car is ready by 5AM instead of 6AM? I think Tesla came to same conclusion: not important enough to keep in stock.
Charging at 40 amps instead of 32 amps is 25% faster, which can be significant.

There are a few NEMA 14-50 outlets in my area that are free for public use including a couple at a local park and walking trail where I exercise after work.

My daily commute from home > work > trail > home is 37.2 miles which requires 11.4 kWh.

Charging at 32 amps with a Mobile Connector requires 1 hour and 29 minutes to recover this energy.

Charging at 40 amps with a Corded Mobile Connector would require 1 hour and 11 minutes.

My exercise takes about 45 minutes, so with a MC, I'm sitting around waiting another 44 minutes.

A CMC would reduce this wait time to 26 minutes. I'd much rather be home 18 minutes sooner instead of sitting in a car waiting for it to finish charging. :)

Upvote 0
Charging at 40 amps instead of 32 amps is 25% faster, which can be significant.

There are a few NEMA 14-50 outlets in my area that are free for public use including a couple at a local park and walking trail where I exercise after work.

My daily commute from home > work > trail > home is 37.2 miles which requires 11.4 kWh.

Charging at 32 amps with a Mobile Connector requires 1 hour and 29 minutes to recover this energy.

Charging at 40 amps with a Corded Mobile Connector would require 1 hour and 11 minutes.

My exercise takes about 45 minutes, so with a MC, I'm sitting around waiting another 44 minutes.

A CMC would reduce this wait time to 26 minutes. I'd much rather be home 18 minutes sooner instead of sitting in a car waiting for it to finish charging. :)
Exercise more!
/s

• Funny
Reactions: zroger73
Upvote 0
That’s the UMC. It maxes out at 32A anyways. No way to pull 40A with that.

Glad I didn't claim to be an electrician as I really thought it went to 40A. Guess it's a good thing I set the charging limit at 32A before I even first used it or I would have been upset for no reason seeing it charge at 32 and not 40 (that I thought).

Set-up works real well for us now. I may need to look into a wall connector if we add an S to the garage too. I was thinking I could just bump it to 40 at that point so I could get both cars charged quicker when needed.

Upvote 0
I'm not too concerned since Tesla used to sell the wall connector with the cord on it just like mine. The only reason the new one says not to is because you can set it up to 48 amp charging which is too much for a 14-50 outlet. Obviously I didn't do that.

I understand your perspective, but I work in an industry where litigation is common and I regularly see insurance claims denied because people did not follow instructions. Insurance companies will spend a lot of money on the discovery process to avoid paying a claim. It is even worse when permanent injury or death is involved. Witness: "Yeah, but..." Attorney: "Yes or no?" :)

Upvote 0