Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have the harness side plug for a 1.5 stereo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the weekend I began the removal of the Kenwood KVT-614 installed by Al & Eds in my 1.5 for my car's prior owner. I'm upgrading to a Pioneer AVHX7700BT. After I pulled the Kenwood, I discovered that the original harness plug had been cut during the Kenwood upgrade. I'd really like to go back to the original Lotus/VW style harness connector and then connect the Pioneer harness to a VW01B/VWH-1004 plug to connect to the car. This way the harness itself would be "stock" (or at least reconditioned to a stock-ish state). Does anyone have a 1.5 harness connector laying around that might have been clipped for an upgrade?

Also, the original pinout or wiring schematic would be very helpful. Hopefully I can mostly reverse engineer it from the Kenwood wiring schematic. There was an dark orange/red wire with a black stripe that was not connected and there was a light green wire with some yellow tape near that end that was also not connected. Those two are a mystery.

Thanks!
harness2.jpg
harness1.jpg

Last edited:
WoW, I don't know why they chopped off the stock harness like that. Especially on a $100k+ car... and if I did it would be the last alternative. Sucks when the part that joins to the stock (standard) harness only costs only $5! I personally find these types of installations unprofessional since stereo's get upgraded over time which cutting and rejoining wires shortens your wires, causes shorts/failures since multiple people/technicians are digging around and hiding their rats nest.

I have to pull out my stereo in the next couple of weeks, installing door tweeters, upgrading the rears to 5 1/4 woofers and installing crossovers to both. When I do I'll try to determine where those wires go unless someone beats me to it.

I wrote that thread above and the part number in that thread is correct. Why, I didn't have to chop my stock harness and my stereo was plug & play with using the VW harness. :)

This harness was a "standard" that many stereo makers conformed too, so that's why Kenwood may have been using it as well as VW.

Here's the link to the ebay store/seller which I purchased the harness from:

Car Stereo Radio Receiver Install Wiring Harness Plug for Installing CD Player | eBay

Take the dash off; it will make more sense.

There's a harness way back in there; way back behind the steering wheel. That's probably the "VW" harness. It connects up to a second harness and I could never match up any of the wire colors to any schematic.

Take the dash off; it will make more sense.

There's a harness way back in there; way back behind the steering wheel. That's probably the "VW" harness. It connects up to a second harness and I could never match up any of the wire colors to any schematic.

That's the best way to clean things back up. See if the entire run is part of the american/international standard. If not, at least call Tesla to see what the pricing is. Its either going to be a little over $20, if not then much more over $200!

Its most likely the same harness Lotus uses too. What I've found between buying a Lotus part I need on the Roadster is that Tesla doesn't mark them up, they're the same cost no matter if you buy it from Tesla or Lotus. So I go directly to Tesla for things like that after a little reseach.

Its most likely the same harness Lotus uses too. What I've found between buying a Lotus part I need on the Roadster is that Tesla doesn't mark them up, they're the same cost no matter if you buy it from Tesla or Lotus. So I go directly to Tesla for things like that after a little reseach.

The Lotus harness is different.

The nice thing about buying the Lotus parts is that you can get a substantial discount from Lotus Garage (and others). I have yet to find a Tesla dealer that sells Roadster parts at anything but full list price.