Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone install the Twraps PPF on their rear fenders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a trip to Joshua tree a couple weeks ago, and the PPF film that is on the cars rear rockers got pretty beat up. Thinking about replacing it with the Twraps stuff. They have regular size and large size as well as 2 different thickness (8 or 10 mil). I assume 10 is better? Is there any real benefit to the Large size vs the regular size?

While we are on the subject of wraps, I noticed that there appears to be a wrap on my door handles and it’s pretty scratched up. Is that a real wrap, or just plastic on the handles that was supposed to be removed when they delivered the car?

Thanks!

So, I’m going to answer my own questions here.

I got the Twraps large size in 10 mil thickness and did the install today. The large size is bigger than the PPF that comes on the car, and also includes a piece that you can add to the bottom. The 10 mil film seems a lot thicker than the stuff I removed that came with the car.
The kit you order comes with everything you need, including a small spray bottle that has some soap in it that you fill with water, and a squeegee. They have video instruction on the site, and I also watched some YouTube videos on installing PPF film.

First I removed the old film, which was easy (again, I watched some YouTube videos on how to remove PPF). I used a heat gun to heat the film up and pulled down on the wrap. It came off pretty clean and the few spots of adhesive that were left easily came off with some goo-gone. I then cleaned up the area with soap and water.

Installing the wrap is fairly easy. Make sure to use lots of soapy water. When it’s really wet, the film moves around pretty easily, so you have to hold it down when using the squeegee to make sure it’s in place. Once in place, you squeegee out the air bubbles. Dry everything out and that’s it.

On one side, I did get a few small bubbles that I can’t get out, but will wait a couple days- my understanding is that some will evaporate out on their own. I also saw a trick that you can use a very fine needle to pinch the bubble, but will wait a couple days first before trying it.

I tried to take some pics, but you can’t really see it, and the reflections sort of obfuscate everything anyway. Suffice to say, that it looks pretty good in my opinion, and you won’t notice it’s there unless you look closely.

IMG_0474.jpeg

While we are on the subject of wraps, I noticed that there appears to be a wrap on my door handles and it’s pretty scratched up. Is that a real wrap, or just plastic on the handles that was supposed to be removed when they delivered the car?

I’ll answer my own question here too. It turns out the stuff I had on the handle was the plastic that came on the car. I realized this when I looked closely and noticed that 1 of the 4 handles didn’t have it.

When I ordered the wrap for the fenders, I also went ahead and ordered the door handle kit. This kit has wrap for the handle and also the surrounding area on the door. I installed the wrap on the handle, but didn’t bother to install the wrap on the door area surrounding the handles, as I think it will look kind of odd. Again, pretty easy install. Not sure it’s absolutely necessary, but hopefully will look better than the scratched up plastic that was on my car before.