Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone interested in a 240v surge suppressor adapter for the UMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious how many people would be interested in a "inline" surge suppressor for the UMC? I am picking up the parts to build one this evening, and would be willing to build them for others as well. Cost per unit would be between $80 & $100.

How it works:

[O]=~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(Suppressor)[O]=~~~~~~@@@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=Model S
NEMA 14-50 Suppressor with 14-50 Outlet UMC

So it would plug into a 14-50 outlet, have a box at the end that could contain the surge suppressor, then a 14-50 Outlet on the box that you plug the UMC into.

Just about every off the shelf surge suppressor is for 120v standard home outlet, which I have been switching to to use a surge suppressor when their is a storm. Wouldn't it be nice to have at least some protection when using 240v?

Let me know your feedback. I have built these for whole home protection, but thats not always a option when traveling.

I can also build them into a extension cord. So, say you'd like a 10 or 20 ft extension cord for 240v, I can build it right into that as well.

Sorry, this was meant to be in the Battery section. Please move.

Last edited:
I have no idea. I do not have a HPWC, and thats a perminint install. The Idea of a surge protector is for a UMC. And even then, I'd rather fry a $80-$100 part then a $650 part. and if it were to get fried from a surge, once it's built, the damaged parts can be replaced for about $15 in materials. I am also thinking of building it with a built in 50amp breaker. I know thats redundant, but why not, would only add about $25 to the cost. Cheaper then a UMC, or a Car :)

I have no idea. I do not have a HPWC, and thats a perminint install. The Idea of a surge protector is for a UMC. And even then, I'd rather fry a $80-$100 part then a $650 part. and if it were to get fried from a surge, once it's built, the damaged parts can be replaced for about $15 in materials. I am also thinking of building it with a built in 50amp breaker. I know thats redundant, but why not, would only add about $25 to the cost. Cheaper then a UMC, or a Car :)

Actually, it's not redundant. The UMC uses electricity whenever it's plugged in. It would be nice to turn it off when it's not plugged into the car. I'm pretty sure the UMC has some surge protection because the light turns red when the power isn't right. But it's not going to stop a surge caused by someone knocking over a power pole down the street.

And even then, I'd rather fry a $80-$100 part then a $650 part. and if it were to get fried from a surge, once it's built, the damaged parts can be replaced for about $15 in materials. I am also thinking of building it with a built in 50amp breaker. I know thats redundant, but why not, would only add about $25 to the cost. Cheaper then a UMC, or a Car :)

You are so right! A new UMC is very expensive. TMC will not cover a destroyed UMC as a warranty issue. And the last thing I would want to do is submit a claim to my homeowners and/or auto policy for a damaged UMC. I believe that could play havoc with my insurance rates. Insurance companies my not "understand" that this UMC does not pose a fire hazard to my home.