Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone know how to remove lug nut covers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am at a loss. I cant find any information on how to remove the lug nut covers on the new 21" Twin turbine wheels. They appear like they pop off from grabbing the back and unclipping but they dont. I've had three people look at them and everyone is scared to crack them off.

I hope someone here has these and can tell me.

Thanks!

You could also make your own tool with a piece of wire that you create hooks at the end. Look at the Tesla tool on the website. All it is is flat pieces of plastic with a hooked ridge that goes behind the back of the nut cap so you can pull it out/off.

I have one because I like to have the right tool. But I’m sure you could fabricate something that would hook in back of them to pull straight forward.

I did find those tweezers on Tesla's site, but those are for taking the actual fake caps off the old style wheels. Here is what I am talking about.. NTB could not figure it out either. Tesla has to call me back.

TwinT_1.jpg
Twin_T2.jpg

Ah, yeah we thought you meant the actual covers for nuts not those complete covers.

Let us know what you find out. Wonder if that’s another ‘only Tesla can do it’ special. Lol.

I’m thinking they snap over the nuts in the same fashion, but hard to tell for sure.

I appreciate the quick responses guys! Tesla just called back and told me I have to wait until morning because they don’t know and have to try removing
I removed them with bare hands as I had to take 2 wheels off to repair kerb rash.

First unclip the flange and slowly wriggle it out in a perpendicular outward direction.

Ok, Thank-you so much! I pried very hard and it got to the point where i felt like the plastic was going to break. Do you think inserting a flat-head on the inner part while pulling back the clip part will work?

I appreciate the quick responses guys! Tesla just called back and told me I have to wait until morning because they don’t know and have to try removing

Ok, Thank-you so much! I pried very hard and it got to the point where i felt like the plastic was going to break. Do you think inserting a flat-head on the inner part while pulling back the clip part will work?

Using plastic trim remover / spluger would help, but I didn't need it at all. Once you get the first one out, you'd learn quickly how to remove the rest.

They told me to just pull them off. That indecent resulted in 3 broken covers. NTB replaced them, but took 2 weeks to order them from Tesla.

If anyone has a suggestion on removing them without cracking them, I'd love to hear it.

Just to add to this Thread.
Pulling where your Middle Finger is in that Pic. I also used a Small Flathead Screw Driver into it & Rocking it back and forth.
Just a Forewarning about using a Screw Driver, it will mar up your Wheels some. That Parts normally Covered, so as long as you don't Scrape it too deep...

Corsair is right when he said once you figure one out the Rest will go Quick

They told me to just pull them off. That indecent resulted in 3 broken covers. NTB replaced them, but took 2 weeks to order them from Tesla.

If anyone has a suggestion on removing them without cracking them, I'd love to hear it.

I removed them for the 2nd time (for season changeover). Again using just my hands but wearing rubber gloves made removal much easier.

Sorry to hear about the 3 broken covers. The wheels actually looks just as good without those triangular caps. I plan to use bolt caps instead, which you can buy from Tesla Model 3 Aero Wheel Cap Kit

or amazon.com

Definitely the best info on the www with regards to getting the nut covers off the new 21s. I just pulled all of mine off, and like Corsair says, you learn the technique quickly, and once the first one comes off, the others come off "easier". A few things I'd also add so there isn't a run on the parts dept. to buy replacements for all of the broken ones that are sure to come:

1) use leather gardening gloves or suffer numerous finger pinches
2) wiggle back and forth towards you AND towards the car. The more wiggle and less pull only, the quicker they'll come off (sometimes flying somewhere). This can be a two-handed job, with one hand pulling and keeping the clip free and the other one (maybe just a thumb) pushing in. A side-to-side wiggle is essentially impossible.
3) if you're getting worked, and you will get worked, I'd suggesting using copious amounts of ultra sudsy soap in a squirt bottle (for lubrication) and getting as much on the backside of the cover as possible. Then continue the wiggle with gloves.
4) I wouldn't recommend using a screwdriver
5) It probably will also help to check out what the cover looks like on the backside and what the wheel looks like without covers

IMG_2315 2.jpg
IMG_2316 2.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
Definitely the best info on the www with regards to getting the nut covers off the new 21s. I just pulled all of mine off, and like Corsair says, you learn the technique quickly, and once the first one comes off, the others come off "easier". A few things I'd also add so there isn't a run on the parts dept. to buy replacements for all of the broken ones that are sure to come:

1) use leather gardening gloves or suffer numerous finger pinches
2) wiggle back and forth towards you AND towards the car. The more wiggle and less pull only, the quicker they'll come off (sometimes flying somewhere). This can be a two-handed job, with one hand pulling and keeping the clip free and the other one (maybe just a thumb) pushing in. A side-to-side wiggle is essentially impossible.
3) if you're getting worked, and you will get worked, I'd suggesting using copious amounts of ultra sudsy soap in a squirt bottle (for lubrication) and getting as much on the backside of the cover as possible. Then continue the wiggle with gloves.
4) I wouldn't recommend using a screwdriver
5) It probably will also help to check out what the cover looks like on the backside and what the wheel looks like without covers

View attachment 345772View attachment 345773
All of these tips helped me, but there were two covers that I couldn't remove not matter what I did. What was key was this tip about using the soap & water - that did the trick! The more you can get behind the cover, the better.

Have a new Raven performance, swapped for my old 90D.

These are so so hard to remove. I’m trying to put my winters on, and I’ve got 3 off. 2 totally stuck. Fingers too tired to do any more. Need to try soap and water next but light won’t last.

What a daft design.

May take to a tire shop but worried that may just break them. If they do, think I’ll just put on standard lug covers like my old 90D had

Any more tips welcome - a tool is needed to save the fingers even in gloves.

Ok, you just need a few max force waggles. Still stupid design 🤦‍♂️🤣

Second edit.

One wheel, I broke 4 covers - they all were really ceased and brittle. Also broke one over cover.
A very stupid design. But at least I can get my winters on and have a few months to sort replacements or lug covers

Last edited:
Have a new Raven performance, swapped for my old 90D.

These are so so hard to remove. I’m trying to put my winters on, and I’ve got 3 off. 2 totally stuck. Fingers too tired to do any more. Need to try soap and water next but light won’t last.

What a daft design.

May take to a tire shop but worried that may just break them. If they do, think I’ll just put on standard lug covers like my old 90D had

Any more tips welcome - a tool is needed to save the fingers even in gloves.

Ok, you just need a few max force waggles. Still stupid design 🤦‍♂️🤣

Second edit.

One wheel, I broke 4 covers - they all were really ceased and brittle. Also broke one over cover.
A very stupid design. But at least I can get my winters on and have a few months to sort replacements or lug covers
So, I was thinking the same thing when I first tried to remove my lugs covers on my new 2020 Raven Model S. I was so worried about breaking them that I bought an entire new set (for all 4 wheels) to have on standby for replacement. Soap and water did help me remove them and trust me, it's a LOT easier the next time around.

Incidentally, I still have ALL of the extra covers I bought even though I've been rotating my wheels for years now. ;-)

Joe

So, I was thinking the same thing when I first tried to remove my lugs covers on my new 2020 Raven Model S. I was so worried about breaking them that I bought an entire new set (for all 4 wheels) to have on standby for replacement. Soap and water did help me remove them and trust me, it's a LOT easier the next time around.

Incidentally, I still have ALL of the extra covers I bought even though I've been rotating my wheels for years now. ;-)

Joe

Do you mean pull out the back, and pour down the soap and water?