Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone knows what those motors are

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
These 2 motors on my 2015 MS are running 24/7 lately (except during a software update where they turned off). Anyone know what those are?
Tesla - 2 motors running.jpg

Quick update, after running for few days (including when I checked on them late night/early morning), I just noticed they turned off (it's 2am). :) Perhaps summer weather heats the garage up a little more, or maybe the update the car just applied earlier this evening changed something.

Did you charge to 80% SoC or higher beforehand?

I had noticed my pumps running when charging to 80% so I reduced my daily to 75%.

Now that my round-trip commute is about 100 feet per day instead of 100 miles, I charge to 50% and only charge once it drops to 15% or so, typically once per week.

I don’t think I have put a hundred miles on the car this month, normally it would be > 2000 miles per month. COVID-19 warranty extension.

I’m sure you tried this after the software update but wonder if a reboot would have reset whatever was calling for the pump? I always reboot after a software update to be sure any lingering issues have a fresh start. The several times I didn’t, issues always seem to appear.

Did you charge to 80% SoC or higher beforehand?

I had noticed my pumps running when charging to 80% so I reduced my daily to 75%.

Now that my round-trip commute is about 100 feet per day instead of 100 miles, I charge to 50% and only charge once it drops to 15% or so, typically once per week.

I don’t think I have put a hundred miles on the car this month, normally it would be > 2000 miles per month. COVID-19 warranty extension.
I have similar car to OP...my pumps run almost all the time when the car is awake, but at 28% or so so they are quiet. Above 78% SoC,. All the time at 100%, pretty loud.

I store the car at 55%, rarely go outside of 30-70% per EM and JB's recomendations years ago. For comparing car stats see my signature.

I have similar car to OP...my pumps run almost all the time when the car is awake, but at 28% or so so they are quiet. Above 78% SoC,. All the time at 100%, pretty loud.

I store the car at 55%, rarely go outside of 30-70% per EM and JB's recomendations years ago. For comparing car stats see my signature.
This is an interesting data point. My garage is always hot in AZ. I’ll reduce my SoC to maybe 50% and see if that causes less coolant pump constant use.

After a recent update, my 2013 p85+ runs the coolant pumps if I charge to 100%. They continue to run until the SOC is below 90%. I think it's so that the SOC doesn't stay above 90% for prolonged periods of time on the older batteries. They only want you to charge above 90% if you are going to drive the miles off right away, like when on trips. They continue to run even if you power the car off.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
As an engineer, it makes sense if they are worried about thermal runaway and know they don’t have enough cooling capacity to stop it after charging to ~80% and that they have to keep it from raising temperature even a little

As an owner, it’s quite a problem... what do they know? Are these batteries all that close to going up in a poof of lithium tinged fire?

Cooling pumps - 24/7 running was a side effect of the batterygate updates. They're still worried about cars catching fire when parked because they never fixed the actual problems, so they just cap your battery and charging when they think it's getting close and run these coolant pumps always to prolong failure outside of warranty.

As an owner, it’s quite a problem... what do they know? Are these batteries all that close to going up in a poof of lithium tinged fire?

It's a bigger problem for Tesla. The NHTSA will tell us what they knew sooner or late but it was illegal for them to try and hide what they know about fire risks, and especially illegal for them to push updates in response to whatever they know without telling them (or us!). There's an ongoing investigation, and since the response seems to be getting more and more widespread the recall notices might eventually be sent out to all of us.

They really do need to start selling upgrade batteries before then, if only to reduce the number of batteries they have to pay for out of pocket.

Last edited:
Sorta strange when Elon said 90 every night (before CV) was no problem. Wonder if this was a recent addition. We have a 3 we charged to 90 all the time when it was driven to DC and back each day (back in February lol).

We have both at 80 now and no sound at all.

My magic number is 78-79%.

Gonna get even by taking it down lower, say 18%, on trips.

Not sure this car will last 15-20 years like I hoped, with all these changes..
remember when GM designed cars to last for only about 3-4 years before they crapped out.....tedls wanted repeat business because older cars cannot accept all the new tech updates that people want....they keep introducing new software but dont take care of older cars that paid for the upgrade....they are making them wait