Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone looking to have PPF in the DC area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very impressed with your research! I am in Ellicott City, MD and I got my model 3 last week and would like to use have PPF on my car as well. I understand that I'm about 2 years late in getting in on your group purchase but I'm interested in how you like your film two years later. I am considering the new SunTek Reaction which comes with a 12 year warranty. My concerns are that fact that it is new and not yet really proven in the consumer marketplace, ability of installers to put the new film on and of course, whether the 20% upcharge from Ultra is worth it. I'm also wondering since I just picked up my car if I should wait a little longer until the paint has a little more time to set. Thanks so much, Jackie

Congrats on your Model 3!

I'm really happy with how my PPF installed by TLC Auto Detail is holding up after 2 years. They wrapped just about all the edges so that helps keep everything in place. Whoever you pick, I recommend that you go with a place that does a "bulk/custom install" wrapping all the edges than someone who may cut all the pieces individually because with bulk/custom wrapping they have more PPF to work with rather than overstretching the film in certain areas because they are limited by the dimensions of the cut pieces. Also go over individually what parts of the car they are wrapping around the edges. One of the reasons I picked TLC is because they wrapped just about every single conceivable edge that can be wrapped around the edge.

To answer your question, when I made my decision, SunTek Reaction was not available. I just read up on what it is and I still would have made the exact same decision to go with SunTek Ultra Defense if I had to make the decision today. SunTek reaction essentially has the properties of PPF + Ceramic Coat but it is still not thick as Ultra Defense.

Installing PPF is very labor intensive and quite expensive so I wanted the toughest, thickest, and most durable PPF I could find. Ultra Defense also has hydrophobic properties. Two years ago I went with Ultra Defense and then had TLC apply a quality Ceramic Coat on top of the PPF so I get the benefit of a thicker PPF with the benefits of an actual ceramic coat.

One thing to be aware of with a ceramic coat is that after you get it, it is recommended that you hand wash the car. If you don't plan to have the car hand washed, you might just want to go with a quality PPF.

I'll post photos sometime soon showing how the PPF is holding up after 2 years.

hey @DCEV, was researching online for pricing and places near me and came across this forum. yea im also new here n 2 years late on the group buy. how much did you end up paying at TLC for the full custom ppf with the ultra def? im getting my model Y pretty soon and wanted to get everything lined up to get worked done asap :)

Congrats on your Model 3!

I'm really happy with how my PPF installed by TLC Auto Detail is holding up after 2 years. They wrapped just about all the edges so that helps keep everything in place. Whoever you pick, I recommend that you go with a place that does a "bulk/custom install" wrapping all the edges than someone who may cut all the pieces individually because with bulk/custom wrapping they have more PPF to work with rather than overstretching the film in certain areas because they are limited by the dimensions of the cut pieces. Also go over individually what parts of the car they are wrapping around the edges. One of the reasons I picked TLC is because they wrapped just about every single conceivable edge that can be wrapped around the edge.

To answer your question, when I made my decision, SunTek Reaction was not available. I just read up on what it is and I still would have made the exact same decision to go with SunTek Ultra Defense if I had to make the decision today. SunTek reaction essentially has the properties of PPF + Ceramic Coat but it is still not thick as Ultra Defense.

Installing PPF is very labor intensive and quite expensive so I wanted the toughest, thickest, and most durable PPF I could find. Ultra Defense also has hydrophobic properties. Two years ago I went with Ultra Defense and then had TLC apply a quality Ceramic Coat on top of the PPF so I get the benefit of a thicker PPF with the benefits of an actual ceramic coat.

One thing to be aware of with a ceramic coat is that after you get it, it is recommended that you hand wash the car. If you don't plan to have the car hand washed, you might just want to go with a quality PPF.

I'll post photos sometime soon showing how the PPF is holding up after 2 years.
Thank you so much for your reply! I ended up going with the SunTek Reaction. Looks good and so, very happy. I look forward to seeing your two year pix :)

Thank you so much for your reply! I ended up going with the SunTek Reaction. Looks good and so, very happy. I look forward to seeing your two year pix :)
Where did you end up getting your SunTek Reaction done and how much did you pay now in 2021 dollars for the newer product? I'm up in Towson / Baltimore area and trying to plan ahead for a MS Long Range due here in about a month =)