Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone out of warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. I'm debating which Tesla to buy. Have any of you gotten out of warranty and needed to replace the battery and/or motor and know the costs? I'm thinking about getting a used Model S with the unlimited mile warranty, or a new Model 3. I drive 50k miles per year (my commute is 120 miles per day, and we have a second home we visit weekly, for the other 400+ miles per week). So, the Tesla warranty would be out in two years on a Model 3. I'm currently driving a 2017 Prius Prime with 150k miles and we have a 2007 Prius with close to 500k miles. We replaced the Prius battery at around 470k miles. Thanks :)

Hey all. I'm debating which Tesla to buy. Have any of you gotten out of warranty and needed to replace the battery and/or motor and know the costs? I'm thinking about getting a used Model S with the unlimited mile warranty, or a new Model 3. I drive 50k miles per year (my commute is 120 miles per day, and we have a second home we visit weekly, for the other 400+ miles per week). So, the Tesla warranty would be out in two years on a Model 3. I'm currently driving a 2017 Prius Prime with 150k miles and we have a 2007 Prius with close to 500k miles. Thanks :)

From the battery replacements we have seen on the 3 so far (mostly insurance damage vs out of warranty) it runs around $15k. I haven’t seen any reports for the drive unit costs.

Used Model S is an option, but you will have to be careful of which S. The earliest 60s didn’t have the unlimited miles warranty and the newest S’s don’t either.

I have been looking at 2016/2017 Model S 90D or 100D, but apparently the 90D batteries aren't great. I found a 90D with 25k miles, but in four years, the battery already went from 294 to 261 miles, around an 11% loss, and it's out of warranty. So, that would cost another 5k for a third part Xcelerate warranty to take it to almost 150k miles.

I have been looking at 2016/2017 Model S 90D or 100D, but apparently the 90D batteries aren't great. I found a 90D with 25k miles, but in four years, the battery already went from 294 to 261 miles, around an 11% loss, and it's out of warranty. So, that would cost another 5k for a third part Xcelerate warranty to take it to almost 150k miles.

Yeah, the 90 batteries weren’t the best - you need to find the V3 version is my understanding.

I don’t know how often you had to take your Prius in, but be aware that a Tesla (any variety) will most likely require more trips to the service center/mobile service than your average Toyota. They are wonderful to drive, but the least reliable cars I have owned. It’s like owning an exotic that can only serviced by the dealer. So that aspect of ownership is not for everyone.

Reactions: cwerdna
Yeah, the 90 batteries weren’t the best - you need to find the V3 version is my understanding.

I don’t know how often you had to take your Prius in, but be aware that a Tesla (any variety) will most likely require more trips to the service center/mobile service than your average Toyota. They are wonderful to drive, but the least reliable cars I have owned. It’s like owning an exotic that can only serviced by the dealer. So that aspect of ownership is not for everyone.

Id recommend a huge grain of salt for with that opinion...

We have two Tesla’s now, a ‘19 SR+ 3 & a ‘20 long range Model Y. The 3 has never seen the service center and the Y has only had the Mobile Tech come to the house once for the crappy install of the charger door.

I think pre-2019 Tesla’s May have had issues and you’ll get some for sure horror stories every once in awhile but every other major brand has the same stuff. I wouldn’t call Tesla “exotic” at all, not once the Model 3 came out.

We’re both saving over $100/ea per month in fuel and another $100 in oil changes per year (previous cars were VW’s).

I would totally recommend the Model 3 Dual motor long range to the OP brand new and see where you’re at come end of warranty. Track how much you’ll save in fuel costs/oil changes/etc and compare it to the ever so slight possibility of need a new battery some day.

I’d definitely recommend at least a test drive, you can schedule them online these days.

Gas isn't much of an issue since I get 36 miles on a charge plus around 60mpg with regular with the Prime.

Model 3 is at like 121mpg equivalent (‘20 Model 3 Dual motor). Why get the Tesla if gas savings aren’t part of the equation? Especially a 120mile a day equation.

Attachments

• F9748C33-64F7-4E48-8366-1358D74547CF.png
    F9748C33-64F7-4E48-8366-1358D74547CF.png
    478.7 KB · Views: 101
To have something a little more exciting to drive. I spend four hours a day in my car. I've driven a Prius for the past 13 years. I have other cars, but they are manual sports cars (Corvette etc), not ideal for 2.5 hours to go 60 miles!

I teach physics and find Tesla fascinating. I love the tech and innovation.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Phlier and Pkmmte
I'm currently driving a 2017 Prius Prime with 150k miles and we have a 2007 Prius with close to 500k miles. We replaced the Prius battery at around 470k miles. Thanks :)

oh snap, battery replacement at 470k?! I have a 2012 Camry Hybrid with about 130k, no problems yet with the battery, but I’ve been wondering how much longer I’d get out of the car before I start seeing battery issues. Glad to know I have another 340k to go! ;)

Yes, we're always going to have a Prius. I'm looking for something to change it up a bit. A Prius will be a long term part of our life.
If that’s the case, I’d go with a new 3 over a used S of similar cost. At your mileage, you’re going to incur huge depreciation and significant maintenance with both, but you’ll get more range and just as much fun with the new 3.

Reactions: APotatoGod
The unlimited battery warranties of some Model S might sound attractive, but I don't think these are full warranty on everything. So for example, when the expensive door handles break on the Model S as they do? Be prepared to fork out heavy cash for that. It's a luxury-class car with luxury-class issues (read: many and expensive).

That said, the Model 3 is relatively new and untested as well. We don't know of an out-of-warranty major replacement yet. In-warranty battery replacements have been with the old pack returned ("core"), $12k and $15k (I think) plus labour, which is significant on the Model 3 as the battery was not designed for hot-swapping. Notably, the in-warranty replacements have mostly been good battery packs that met unfortunate demises, usually the under-protected coolant connector breaking. These returned packs thus have high value still, and a truly "dead" pack may incur heavier costs upon swapping than we've seen so far. It's not really known at this point.

To be honest, since you said you're looking for a more exciting drive, don't go for the Model S. Not my personal testimony, but I hear the Model S is a bit of a boat. It's insane for straight-line acceleration, but it doesn't hide its massive weight around the city or in corners. The LR Model 3, while still being a beefy 4000lb vehicle, carries its weight much better and surprisingly well.

I'm debating which Tesla to buy. Have any of you gotten out of warranty and needed to replace the battery and/or motor and know the costs? I'm thinking about getting a used Model S with the unlimited mile warranty, or a new Model 3.
No Model 3 is out of warranty
This is the Model 3 battery warranty:
Model 3: Eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of battery capacity over the warranty period. Model 3 with Long-Range Battery: Eight years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of battery capacity over the warranty period

It sounds like you drive 120 miles a day, so figure 180 EV miles a day in the winter. The LR battery would have to degrade 45% before it became a commuting problem for you, but a degradation rate of 7.5% a year (unknown in the Tesla world beyond the first year) would earn you a new battery under the battery warranty. The fleet average for Model 3 battery degradation taken out two years is ~ 2% a year with a 2% SD

As for the motor, early failures are covered by warranty and the smattering of late failures will have a secondary market.

I honestly think you are focusing on non-issues. If you want something more realistic to worry about, simple repairs and accident repairs are expensive in the Tesla world. It is getting better, and will continue to improve as Model 3 and Model Y become ever more mainstream cars. For that reason alone I suggest you avoid Model S.

I figured someone must have gone past 100k miles. By the way, I'm female (I was referred to as him above).

The insurance on the 2016 Model S 90D was only $200 more per year than my 2016 Corvette, which I thought was low, considering the cost of body repairs. Why would the S cost more than the 3 for repairs?

I figured someone must have gone past 100k miles. By the way, I'm female (I was referred to as him above).

The insurance on the 2016 Model S 90D was only $200 more per year than my 2016 Corvette, which I thought was low, considering the cost of body repairs. Why would the S cost more than the 3 for repairs?
The S is a lot of aluminum panels and construction, which is way more difficult (and thus $$$) to repair. The Model 3 includes a lot more traditional steel construction, much easier to work with.

Non-body parts like headlights are probably more expensive on the S as well due to lower manufacturing volume.