Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone paint their Aero hubcaps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, where is a good place to buy Plasti dip colors? I notice my local shops don’t have silver or a good selection of colors other than black and white. Amazon or direct from the plasti dip website? Any other local suggestions?

I usually order from here DipYourCar - World Famous Peelable Auto Paint or Amazon. I prefer Amazon if they have the color I want since I can usually get it in 2 days with Prime.

Reactions: Skavatar
If I am going to plastidip my hubcaps Silver, does this need a base coat? What would people use- black or white base coat?

Also, where is a good place to buy Plasti dip colors? I notice my local shops don’t have silver or a good selection of colors other than black and white. Amazon or direct from the plasti dip website? Any other local suggestions?

You don't need a base coat you can just start layering on the plastidip. I will sometimes spray some clear over the whole area to be painted/plasti-dipped and then use steel wool to sand it just enough to make it a rough surface to adhere to. That may help in this case because the wheels are so smooth, the plasti will peel off really easily on such a smooth surface, a little steel wool roughing will go a long way.

I use amazon for all supplies, I get impatient waiting for shipping from elsewhere and home depot only has black and white. For this project I stuck strictly to what was already in my garage but i wasn't really aiming for any specific look when I started. I just started painting and added to it as ideas came. It may not hurt to do one with black or white as a practice run while you wait for the amazon delivery to get a feel for the process.

• Informative
I put those two I had done on for that pic and forgot. Went out to dinner and got home and realized I had those Aeros on one side and the exposed wheels on the other. I am sure a few people wondered what look I was going for with weird painted Aeros on only one side lol.

• Funny
Reactions: plasmo

@Abstrakt1, looks good and the white outline helps blend better with the reflection of the white light off the chrome trim. Without seeing how it looks outside in the sun I might consider changing the white to a silverish metallic color. This would probably help match the chrome trim around the windows slightly better with the wheels since there is no other white on the car, and also blend in better with the outer rim.

Just one for now but I will try to do another the same style and improve my methods. If I figure out how to get it to a quality level I am proud of after my 4 you can send me yours and I will do them.

I will still take you up on this! PM the details when you're comfortable.... ;)
Also all black looks great imho, Painted Aero's? user post #18
Maybe there should be a thread called Showoff your Aero's or something similar by now.

So, the green is too much (and the camera didn't pick it up that well), but the white looks MUCH nicer than I expected.

IMG-20181012-155512.jpg
IMG-20181012-160133.jpg
IMG-20181012-121548.jpg
IMG-20181012-124543.jpg

Last edited:
I love this! I'm going to paint mine red to match the body. I wonder if it has to be the exact same red to look ok, or if any red will work.

Never heard of these plastidip things. Have to investigate...

Regardless of how it gets painted, I am bit worried that over time road chips and whatnot will nik up the paint and make them look bad.

I love this! I'm going to paint mine red to match the body. I wonder if it has to be the exact same red to look ok, or if any red will work.

Never heard of these plastidip things. Have to investigate...

Regardless of how it gets painted, I am bit worried that over time road chips and whatnot will nik up the paint and make them look bad.

I can confirm that the chips will get it. I ended up painting mine all black after a few road trips with the black/white/red due to chips and scratches. The single color makes for easier touch ups.