Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone recognize this bolt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wnuk

Jul 9, 2017
PA
20200719_151814.jpg 20200719_151806.jpg

Washed the M3 last evening in the driveway. This AM my wife found this in the spot where I washed the car. I'm not sure if it came from the M3 or not. Anyone recognize this part?

Nope, no furniture. I don’t recognize it all and don’t own an Alpha Romero:)

Did have a friend with A BMW over last evening but they weren’t in the driveway.

Oh well, will keep it around just in case.

New type of tamper resistant / anti-theft security bolt?

edit: No, scratch that. Looks like you could put a standard flat screwdriver in between those lobes.

edit2: Nothing in the McMaster-Carr catalog either.

Last edited:
@Wnuk Can we get some dimensions? Overall length, screw diameter and screw pitch would be nice too if you can determine it.

My first thought was something for a camera mount but those are usually a bit longer. The threads looks like 1/4-20, but could also be 3/8-16 so that's why I'm asking for dimensions.

@RayK Overall length is 1/2 inch. Thread length is 1/4 inch. Diameter is 1/4 inch so I assume it is a 1/4 20 thread.

The head is puzzling as that is a pattern I haven seen on anything else here at the house. A flat balde screw driver would be difficult to use on it. And I’m not aware of any tool with a pattern like this.

I checked all the small engines I have and none are missing an oil plug. Nor is any furniture missing a leveler on the feet. All vehicles have license plate brackets mounted properly.

The mystery continues.......