Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret getting the rear facing seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone. Wife and I test drove the 70D, for my driving style/needs I can't justify the extra cost of the 85D. I will be ordering the child seats (even though I haven't had a chance to see them).

Now to make a few calls about financing and hit order... :D

- - - Updated - - -

My kids have been in them for about 4 hours at a time but that's just because that's as far as we've gone so far with the tesla.

That's reassuring, thanks.

My regret is that the ventilation back there is inadequate. I like having the option of the seats, but I think it's unacceptable for them to not have ventilation. It's a safety concern.

I disagree it's a safety concern.

I drive with my kids in the car when it's 100+ degrees here. The tinting on the rear window helps - adding shade would help even more - and it is easy enough to purge the car of hot air when you start driving (it's uncomfortable for ANYONE who gets in a car that was just 140 degrees inside).

As mentioned, when driving and the car is set on fresh air, the fresh air inlets in the back create reasonable airflow. No complaints from the boys. I don't believe it's a safety concern just because they don't have a fan blowing on them. Would I like it? Maybe it would be slightly more comfortable, or you could avoid tinting the window, but it's not a safety show-stopper.

We have four children and our 85 is our family car (replaced a minivan). My 3 and 5 year old ride in the third row on a daily basis.

I don't exactly regret them - like most I just wish the ventilation was better. We have CR40 on our rear glass and it still gets warm on long trips (our longest has been to Raliegh). This season I ordered the sunshade so we'll see if that helps. Our kids don't fuss about riding back there - for road trips we have iPad mini's. I think a couple of small fans would make a huge difference - that's my next step if he sunshade doesn't make it better.

Kid's always look uncomfortable to me when they sleep in cars - I don't think they care. Can't beat laying flat in the good old Caprice Classic but those days are gone.

Buckling them in is a serious core workout since there's nothing to support yourself on when you lean over.

In summary, the Model X will probably be a better fit for our family but for now the S gets the job done - no regrets on the third row seats.

We live in NoVa and you and your family are more than welcome to come take a look.

We have four children and our 85 is our family car (replaced a minivan). My 3 and 5 year old ride in the third row on a daily basis.

I don't exactly regret them - like most I just wish the ventilation was better. We have CR40 on our rear glass and it still gets warm on long trips (our longest has been to Raliegh). This season I ordered the sunshade so we'll see if that helps. Our kids don't fuss about riding back there - for road trips we have iPad mini's. I think a couple of small fans would make a huge difference - that's my next step if he sunshade doesn't make it better.

Kid's always look uncomfortable to me when they sleep in cars - I don't think they care. Can't beat laying flat in the good old Caprice Classic but those days are gone.

Buckling them in is a serious core workout since there's nothing to support yourself on when you lean over.

In summary, the Model X will probably be a better fit for our family but for now the S gets the job done - no regrets on the third row seats.

We live in NoVa and you and your family are more than welcome to come take a look.

I sold my S with the 3rd row, but I used to use a 12v fan between the second and third row to push air to the back. It made s big difference.

I dont think i would get them again for $3000. When i got them they were $1500. Getting windows tinted helped a lot. I've got 2 kids they always sit there as the car seats are always in the other car. The little one is 3, not sure if too young to sit in the back but she loves it because she figured how to close the lift gate, doesnt know how to open yet. She cant see outside. The 5 year old can see outside but not quite.

I've never done more than 1.5 hours with them in the back . For longer trips we took the car seats so that we can pass things around and talk to them and make sure they dont fight.

in the last 2 years we might have had the situation were there were 7-8 people so the rear seats were very useful.

I would buy them again for 1500 but not for 3000. They are useful to me if they cost 1500 or less. When I bought these my family (parents) said who buys 2 car seats for $1500.

I agree with @ohaq. They are starting to get pricey. Some of the people who have posted use them a lot more than I have. We've used our rear-facing seats an average of once/3-4 months for a short trip in town. I will admit that sometimes with a car full of our kids' amazed friends, it does seem worth it, but not for $3000 at that frequency of use. I've thought that maybe as my kids get older and I'm shuttling them around more often to sports/activities with their friends we might use them more, but at that point they might be too tall or would prefer the ease of using the 2nd row (assuming 5 or less people in the car). Also, at least for me, I feel a need to lift them into the rear-facing seats to avoid scratching the paint near the bumper (even with PPF), so that's a bit inconvenient.

Although, I know they are supposed to be the "safest seats in the car", I've always had quiet concern for the proximity of the occupant's head to the rear hatch glass eg if a taller truck runs into the back or if a car "ramps" up the rear hatch in a collision. Not trying to spread fear, just expressing what I've thought to be common sense. Finally, between that rear row and the double-reinforced bumper, I'd be surprised if the two don't add 150-200 lbs to the weight of the car.

Having said all that, I do think the rear-facing seats are a novelty or collector's item for the Model S, in addition to practical benefits. And that, for this car, is good enough reason to make it worth it.

After 2 1/2 years, it's to the point where I tell the kids to be careful, but I'm long past the "concern for the bumper shelf paint" stage. They open the hatch, climb in themselves, and use the little button to close the door after harnessing themselves. We use the rear seats daily. With 4 boys, I don't get much of a choice - Model S won't carry my family without them. They're definitely worth it at $1,500, but I also concur that price is steep at $3k.

At some point, though, I think Tesla is likely to conclude that the seats are no longer needed for Model S, when Model X comes about - this may be the basis for the price ramp-up. I suspect the uptake on the seats in the fleet is relatively low, and it would again simplify their line to push more consumers who need more seating toward Model X.

The dealership got a car with the seats, test drove it today, the kids loved them. My daughter asked if we can take the car home today :smile:

One more question: Anyone's [younger] kids unbuckle themselves? She unbuckled herself mid test drive without telling anyone... Is it avoidable?

The dealership got a car with the seats, test drove it today, the kids loved them. My daughter asked if we can take the car home today :smile:

One more question: Anyone's [younger] kids unbuckle themselves? She unbuckled herself mid test drive without telling anyone... Is it avoidable?

My kids were 7 and 5 when they started riding in the back, although I found the 7 year old had to help the 5 year old. They learned to buckle and unbuckle themselves pretty easily. They're definitely not like some of the car seats that I've had, which required 2 adults, a pry-bar, and a block of oak to open up.

My 5 year old loves the seat and rides in it daily. I have dark tint on the back window, drive with the fresh air option, and she sometimes complaints it gets warm back there (MI summers) - I turn the fan to manual and crank it up if she does. The severe winter has been fine; I prewarm the car and have rarely heard her complain about being too cold - we have a blanket next to her if she needs it.

She 100% believes the trunk door responds to her voice and her voice alone - "trunk, open please."

So in short, no regrets on back seat. They transformed the discussion from "an expensive toy for me" to "a family car/minivan replacement." Would not even consider buying the car without these.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but does any have any thoughts on the exact height the rear seats become uncomfortable? I have a model S on order through Carvana that will have them. My oldest is only 5 but he is already 4'2". I have 2 other kids in car seats and maybe 1 more down the road, so it would be nice to get maybe 3 years of him being able to ride in the jump seats. Also, this is a bonus vehicle for the family. We own a tahoe for long trips, so I don't need an X.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but does any have any thoughts on the exact height the rear seats become uncomfortable? I have a model S on order through Carvana that will have them. My oldest is only 5 but he is already 4'2". I have 2 other kids in car seats and maybe 1 more down the road, so it would be nice to get maybe 3 years of him being able to ride in the jump seats. Also, this is a bonus vehicle for the family. We own a tahoe for long trips, so I don't need an X.
54" is probably the tallest they would be comfortable and have have head room problems.

• Informative
Reactions: irish26
My daughter is 9 (53") and she fits back there without a problem and is comfortable. At this point, she will essentially buckle the waist portion of the belt but leave the shoulder straps off as they are just too small for her. We do take some relatively long trips with her back there (around two hour drives) and she is fine. I'd say the tallest without needing to duck would be 5' (60").

Of course that being said, my teenage son and his friends all love riding back there on short trips (when it's not hot outside) because of the novelty and some of them are north of 6'. They either sit sideways or slouch down. Not comfortable I'm sure but it works in a pinch.

• Informative
Reactions: irish26