Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Reserving Model 3 in Montreal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called the Tesla Store in Montreal today and they said they know of at least 400 people who plan to camp out to reserve the Model ≡. I plan on being there, was wondering if anyone else on this site plans on doing the same?

Here is my problem: I am from Ottawa and would need to charge my Model S when I arrive. Do you think that with only 2 superchargers and 400 people (some of which are current Model S owners like me), I would have a hope in hell of charging my car so I could get home?

I am somewhat pissed off because I was planning on making a go of it.

Here is my problem: I am from Ottawa and would need to charge my Model S when I arrive. Do you think that with only 2 superchargers and 400 people (some of which are current Model S owners like me), I would have a hope in hell of charging my car so I could get home?

Maybe try overnighting it, doing the Model S camping mode.

I'm sure since the lineup will probably be quite long, there will be ample time to charge your car before it's time for you to head back home. There are also many public charging stations around Montreal. Not free or nearly as fast as a Supercharger, but still an option...

by the end of March, it won't be as cold (I really hope so!) and you won't need to charge a lot to drive back (unless you have a 60kwh?). Find a plugshare user/public station and combine that with a little subway ride and you should be all set.

I too am from Ottawa and I was also thinking about doing the same, but I have changed my mind. Waiting for the next day won't be that bad I think. First, you already have a Model S, so its not as bad as those who have been waiting 5-6 years for something they can afford. Second, let's say they get 25,000 reservation on that first day. Some will drop out as we saw with the X (I am one of them). Then you place your reservation and you get a spot in the first 50,000. By 2018, the factory will be producing more than 75,000 Teslas a year (probably more), so I can wait a year and benefit from the little tweaks they will be introducing along the way.

my biggest concern is not how will I get my hands on a 3, but more like how bad the supercharger situation will be when we get all those new Tesla cars on the network... :-(

Don't forget that shipments to Canada may take a long time to start compared to US Model 3 shipments. The Model X started "shipping" over five months ago and the first Canadian delivery is nowhere in sight.

Don't forget that shipments to Canada may take a long time to start compared to US Model 3 shipments. The Model X started "shipping" over five months ago and the first Canadian delivery is nowhere in sight.
I'm sure we'll have to wait a bit longer than the U.S., but I don't think there will be anything near 5 months. I think the main problem with MX deliveries was that nearly no one was getting them until a month or two ago.
One of the prime objectives stated for M3 has been ease-of-production, as opposed to the MX which Elon has claimed is one of the world's most complex vehicles to build. We're also talking about a car that is supposed to be ramping up to six digit production figures in a short time frame. So I'm pretty sure once the switch is turned on we won't lag by much.

I'm sure we'll have to wait a bit longer than the U.S., but I don't think there will be anything near 5 months. I think the main problem with MX deliveries was that nearly no one was getting them until a month or two ago.
One of the prime objectives stated for M3 has been ease-of-production, as opposed to the MX which Elon has claimed is one of the world's most complex vehicles to build. We're also talking about a car that is supposed to be ramping up to six digit production figures in a short time frame. So I'm pretty sure once the switch is turned on we won't lag by much.
I am guessing that it will be at least five months from the time the first Model 3 is delivered until we see Canadian deliveries. This is somewhat because I would totally assume that Tesla will do with the Model 3 what they have done with the Model X - they will commit to a date, like Q3-2018, and then make some ceremonial deliveries that happen a little while before we see deliveries happen in volume.

Sure the Model 3 is supposed to be a lot simpler than the Model X, but ramping up to six digit production figures is not an easy task and is very dependent on suppliers and all sorts of other issues.

How hard is it to upgrade the Model S from Insane to Ludicrous? It is less than a day's work at a SC. But that is taking months and months due to logistical issues at Tesla's end and these upgrades are being done at barely a trickle.