Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone try this staggered tire/rim combination?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ever used/tried this staggered tire and rim combination.

I own a 2022 white M3P and considering changing rims and tires to...

Front 20x8.5 using tires 245.35.20, front will have and offset of +27
Rear 20x10 using tires 285.30.20, rear will have an offset of +40
Michelin PS4S tires will be used

Considering either satin black or a satin gunmetal for the rims

Rims are forged, weighs 26 lbs each
Load rating is 1980 lbs per wheel

Travers.jpg

Diameters are within 0.1" / 0.4%. Should work.
That's a massive rear tire to carry around just for looks though, and will significantly reduce range. If you care about actual handling, this is not the setup you want.

245's on an 8.5" rim is also really not optimal for handling if you're spending all that money on custom wheels. Even Tesla from the factory runs 235's on 9" wheels.

A heck of a setup to run just so you have to avoid spacers so you can get a tire shop to touch your wheels. Just go to Discount / Americas tire - they even sell spacers/adapters.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Diameters are within 0.1" / 0.4%. Should work.
That's a massive rear tire to carry around just for looks though, and will significantly reduce range. If you care about actual handling, this is not the setup you want.

245's on an 8.5" rim is also really not optimal for handling if you're spending all that money on custom wheels. Even Tesla from the factory runs 235's on 9" wheels.

A heck of a setup to run just so you have to avoid spacers so you can get a tire shop to touch your wheels. Just go to Discount / Americas tire - they even sell spacers/adapters.

Range, I don't care about. I'm 100% solar and do not go long distance anymore. I have no gas bill or electric bill caused by the M3 :)

Handling, That's another thing. That I might not like if that were to change. (Good Catch)

Yes, Tesla does run their 235's on 9" wheels (they use to be 8.5 if I remember correctly) but the tire is so stretch that the rim is exposed to easily getting rim rash. I was thinking a 245 on an 8.5 would create a tire side that is not stretched but stand up straight helping protect the rim.

I'm heading off to look at Discount/Americas Tire to take a look thanks