Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use the Tesla recommended tire chains on a RWD Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone has any experience with using the Tesla recommended tire chains (Pewag Sport RSS 76) with a RWD Model 3. I have xIce 3 tires on my SR+ right now (only had the car for a few months so far) and am considering buying the tire chains to toss in the trunk on road trips during the winter.

I've never used tire chains before, but I often didn't travel much in the winter. I love driving my Tesla so much that I'm actually thinking about taking more road trips instead of jumping on a regional flight somewhere for a weekend, etc. I'm curious how much extra traction those tire chains actually will provide, or if I'm still screwed if there is enough snow on the ground to warrant the need for chains. I know there isn't a huge amount of ground clearance with the Model 3, so would I likely benefit from or need chains with 6 to 8 inches of snow on the road? I figure more than that and there's a chance I'll just high center the car in the snow and be screwed even if I did have chains on.

I mainly just don't want to get stuck somewhere. Last car I had that I felt I could go anywhere during the winter was an AWD car. When I got my Volt lease I basically was too busy for road trips or just hunkered down during the winter and avoided mountain passes. Now with the Tesla and it being RWD I'm a little worried if I had across the Cascade Mountains (in WA state) or up to some mountain winter resorts (ski areas, etc)