Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire chains should be on the front, not the rear...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 AWD Model Y. Why does Tesla recommend installing tire chains on the rear? Imagine all 4 tires are on ice. I would rather have the front wheels have traction since they carry most of the braking load, and are responsible for steering. I don't care if the back-end is sliding around. Much better than not being able to steer at all or brake well. What is Tesla thinking?

I was in this exact scenario in a 4WD Jeep regarding completely iced-over roads. I put the chains on the front. I'm glad I did for the reasons already stated.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pianewman
Chains should go on the primary drive wheels. Which would be the rears. The rears are also responsible for most if not all of the regen braking.

In an AWD Tesla once the car detects snow and ice it should automatically switch to a “snow mode” where power (and regen) is distributed 50-50% front and back.

There’s no indication on the display the car is doing this btw. If I recall correctly the car will stay in snow mode until it hasn’t seen snow for a few minutes.

This was a new feature a few years ago and really improved the rear bias on 3/Y in snow.

So, there may be reasons to put chains on the back but power distribution isn’t one of them.

Same reason tire shops recommend the newer tires on the rear.

You don’t ever want the back to pass the front.

Exactly, oversteer is more dangerous than understeer. That's the reason chains should go in the rear if you have to choose.
A rear tire blowout is more dangerous than a front tire sudden flat, for the same reason. The rear will have the tendency to pass the front, causing complete loss of control.
Tesla's recommendation is the right thing to do. 👍🏻

Reactions: Pianewman
I have a 2023 AWD Model Y. Why does Tesla recommend installing tire chains on the rear? Imagine all 4 tires are on ice. I would rather have the front wheels have traction since they carry most of the braking load, and are responsible for steering. I don't care if the back-end is sliding around. Much better than not being able to steer at all or brake well. What is Tesla thinking?

I was in this exact scenario in a 4WD Jeep regarding completely iced-over roads. I put the chains on the front. I'm glad I did for the reasons already stated.
Hokay. I've had numerous cars over the years. Some of them were front wheel drive with the engine over the front; others were rear wheel drive with the engine over the rear (yea, '71 Beetle!); others were rear wheel drive with the engine over the front.

Generally, wherever the engine is, determines what kind of steering one is going to get out of the car. Front engines, with the weight in the front, tends to lead to cars that understeer. Rear engines, with the weight in the rear, tend to oversteer.

The meaning of this is that when one attempts to negotiate a corner too fast and there's a fence between one and the outside of the turn, an understeering car will go through the fence nose first, while an oversteering car will swap ends with the tail end going through the fence first.

It's kind of like a weathervane, with the light end of the vehicle trailing the heavy end.

Mid engine cars with the weight evenly divided between front and rear don't under or over steer. And, with relatively light engines and dual motors being pretty common anyway, Teslas are in the more-or-less balanced class.

Therefore: In the interests of keeping safe, I'd just put chains on all four tires and keep things balanced.

@brkaus @E90alex @gsmith123 @flixden @Big Dog @Tronguy I've read your points and respectfully, none of that info is new info.

When using chains, the speed is almost always 20mph or less so the whole scenario of having the back end slide around while the car uncontrollably flies off into a ditch is very unlikely. In the 4wd Jeep, I had the back end slide completely around while going down a hill on completely iced over roads. It was fine. I just had to make a U-turn to continue where I was going. The front end was gripping so of course I'm not going to continue going backwards or anything. Contrast that to having no steering control whatsoever, and I would much rather have the risk of the back end slide around than have no steering control. If I had no steering control, as would be the case on ice with chains on the rear, I wouldn't be able to go anywhere since I would have no steering.

That same mentality is applied to the AWD Model Y. If I can only go back and forward, but not turn, that's no good. I think a lot of you have used chains in mixed conditions where you had intermittent traction, which meant you still had some steering, so you didn't really experience the full penalty of that decision.

It is best to not think of your car as AWD. It can get a bit of help from the front motor but only when the traction system decides. On a MYLR this is not yet user selected, much to my shock and disappointment.

Btw, when the front motor kicks in for me I can hear the whine, but only if there's no other noise in the car. If music is on, then I can't. On the other hand, when conditions are bad enough for the front motor to engage, I usually have music off anyway.

Um.
@brkaus @E90alex @gsmith123 @flixden @Big Dog @Tronguy I've read your points and respectfully, none of that info is new info.

When using chains, the speed is almost always 20mph or less so the whole scenario of having the back end slide around while the car uncontrollably flies off into a ditch is very unlikely. In the 4wd Jeep, I had the back end slide completely around while going down a hill on completely iced over roads. It was fine. I just had to make a U-turn to continue where I was going. The front end was gripping so of course I'm not going to continue going backwards or anything. Contrast that to having no steering control whatsoever, and I would much rather have the risk of the back end slide around than have no steering control. If I had no steering control, as would be the case on ice with chains on the rear, I wouldn't be able to go anywhere since I would have no steering.

That same mentality is applied to the AWD Model Y. If I can only go back and forward, but not turn, that's no good. I think a lot of you have used chains in mixed conditions where you had intermittent traction, which meant you still had some steering, so you didn't really experience the full penalty of that decision.
Um. I learned to drive back in the early 70's up in Massachusetts, back when double-week long stints of below freezing weather and 8" snow storms once or twice a week were common. So, driving on ice/snow-compacted/slushy roads was something that myself and a zillion other people in the area did on a daily basis.

First rule: NASCAR and F1 drivers zipping around curvy courses got nothing on experienced local drivers in snowy environs. We're not just talking 18-year olds, but 50 year old grandmas with frosty hair doing four-wheel drifts around corners, all the blinking time. Admittedly, they're doing it at 15-20 mph, not at 150 mph, but, still: The wheels go that way, the back end goes this way, and drifty around the corners we go.

Do it wrong and one hits a curb or another car. So, understeer and oversteer are well known. It wasn't unusual for a homeowner to throw a couple of 50-lb sacks of kitty litter in the trunk, not just to help one get out of a snowbank, but to put some weight back there so the car handled better.

Frankly, you're the first person I've ever heard of who thought that putting chains on two tires was a good idea. The best handling occurs when all four wheels have roughly the same traction; putting chains on two.. sounds like shooting oneself in the foot.

There was a study done a decade or so ago where, on a snowy track, the experimenters were putting snow tires on just the fronts, just the rears, all four, or none. With both front and rear wheel drive cars. If memory serves, best was all four with snows, followed by none with snows, followed distantly by the snows in front or the snows in rear. Checked Duck-Duck-Go.. too far back. So you'll have to take my word on it.

Reactions: brkaus
Oversteer/understeer aside, this is probably why Tesla says you shouldn’t put chains in the front.

pxl_20210103_001411148-jpg.623645

I have a 2023 AWD Model Y. Why does Tesla recommend installing tire chains on the rear?
Because the Y is secretly a RWD drive (and regen braking car). It only uses the front wheels to drive and brake if the rear wheels have recently slid out!

Every fall at about this time, many of us MY owners feel the urge to write a letter to St. NichElon asking for a real “snow mode that does a 50/50 split for drive and regen.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
Every fall at about this time, many of us MY owners feel the urge to write a letter to St. NichElon asking for a real “snow mode that does a 50/50 split for drive and regen.

IMO on snowy conditions the car handles power distribution just fine (I'm on a Model 3 but assume it the Y is same) and transitions to (and stays in) snow mode appropriate. Do you find that you're driving around in snow and it's too rear biased?

I do wish there was an indication of what it was doing and a manual override tho, if only so I could play with it.

IMO on snowy conditions the car handles power distribution just fine (I'm on a Model 3 but assume it the Y is same) and transitions to (and stays in) snow mode appropriate. Do you find that you're driving around in snow and it's too rear biased?

I do wish there was an indication of what it was doing and a manual override tho, if only so I could play with it.
I'm not who you are quoting, but yes, it is too rear biased.

In my case, I've been driving front wheel drive cars for so long and didn't realize that my MY wasn't really AWD (geez that marketing plus dual motor badge fooled me so easily) and was in fact RWD for 90%+ of the miles.

Don't notice it when there isn't snow, don't notice it on straight roads with winter tires on it. Really notice it when I'm on unplowed roads and have to either take a corner from one road to another, or a sharp curve in the road (and there's one I go past almost 100% of my trips out, just a block from my home.) That's mostly when I feel my rear swing out into the oncoming lane no matter how slowly I'm creeping along. At first, I thought it was me, taking the corner too fast but at 15kph it will swing out.

Part of the solution is relearning how to drive in a RWD car after 40 years in FWD. Part of it is learning to not care about knowing what the car is doing, or thinking of doing and, in fact, trusting that forcing the car to lose traction will trigger the engagement of the front motor. It is really disappointing to know that MYP can give those drivers more control over the car in snow than MYLR. I'd rather not play tricks with my car, and just put it into a real AWD mode for the side streets between my home and the main roads.

Reactions: boulder.dude

Hey there,

I totally get your concern about traction, especially in icy conditions. In the context of a 2023 AWD Model Y, Tesla's recommendation for installing tire chains on the rear wheels is often about maintaining stability. However, your point about wanting traction on the front wheels for better braking and steering is entirely valid.

In situations like yours, where all four tires are on ice, it's indeed a trade-off. Tesla's general recommendation may be more conservative for overall stability, but your experience with a 4WD Jeep, putting chains on the front for improved steering and braking, makes perfect sense.

For Model Y snow chains that offer versatility and traction where you need it most, TESERY has a range of options. They're designed to provide that extra grip in challenging conditions, ensuring you have control where it matters.

Check out TESERY's anti-skid snow chains here: Tesla Model Y Snow Chains.