Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently have a 2022 M3P with stock summer performance tires and rims (20" uberturbines), will be changing out the tires in the coming few days to all season tires since i'll be making some trips to the mountains for winter sports. Planning on keeping the stock rims and just changing the tires. What have people's experiences been with teslas recommended snow chain in their app (konig k-summit K-34)? Are there alternative snow chains people have had good experience with?

Thanks in advance.

Those look reasonably designed. But I'm not sure it's a good idea to use all-season and chains since traction difference would be too high (chains are only for front wheels and all+season are not for driving on a road where you need chains).

I believe that you would need proper winter tires for that.

Right, sorry, forgot that there is no space in front. Usually you want to have it in front on non RWD cars, because turning will suck.

Good to hear that it works with all-season on Tesla. I don't see that in manual they warn you from doing it.

I still think it's not a good idea, because all-season is not great in snow. Especially if chains are on the rear. But if money is short, I guess, it's an option.

I wouldn't recommend to use anything else except recommended option for chains, which is the only option there.

Reactions: afadeev
Many years ago I used a product called Yeti Snow Nets. They were a grid of rubber over steel cables that hugged the tires and worked with low-clearance cars. Worked really well, and were easy to install and remove. Used them on several of my old Saabs in the 70s and 80s.

I believe that you would need proper winter tires for that.
Winter tires WILL NOT get you out of R3 chain requirements.

R1: Chains required except for passenger vehicles and light duty trucks under 6000 lb with all snow tread (M+S) tires on at least the drive axle

R2: Chains required on all vehicles except 4WD/AWD with snow tread tires (M+S) on all 4 wheels (but 4WD/AWD vehicles must still carry chains even if not using them)

R3: Chains required on all vehicles with no exceptions

There is zero benefit to running dedicated winter tires from the perspective of avoiding chain requirements. All season tires meet the snow tread/M+S requirement and the M3P's AWD will get you out of having to put on chains up through R2. If the requirement goes to R3, then everyone has to chain up, irrespective of tire type.

Winter tires WILL NOT get you out of R3 chain requirements.

R1: Chains required except for passenger vehicles and light duty trucks under 6000 lb with all snow tread (M+S) tires on at least the drive axle

R2: Chains required on all vehicles except 4WD/AWD with snow tread tires (M+S) on all 4 wheels (but 4WD/AWD vehicles must still carry chains even if not using them)

R3: Chains required on all vehicles with no exceptions

There is zero benefit to running dedicated winter tires from the perspective of avoiding chain requirements. All season tires meet the snow tread/M+S requirement and the M3P's AWD will get you out of having to put on chains up through R2. If the requirement goes to R3, then everyone has to chain up, irrespective of tire type.
I never claimed that winter tires allow you to avoid using chains where it's required.

I never claimed that winter tires allow you to avoid using chains where it's required.
Well:
1. OP never asked about using winter tires.
2. There will still be a traction difference between chains and winter tires.
3. Being required to actually use chains (R3 conditions) on a vehicle with AWD + all season tires is rare enough that it never happens to most people. I've only ever seen R3 conditions once; usually they close the road before R3 is imposed.
4. Winter tires will hamper the car's performance whenever it's not below freezing/icy. And if you look at where the OP is located, that's not a good tradeoff to make.

Well:
1. OP never asked about using winter tires.
2. There will still be a traction difference between chains and winter tires.
3. Being required to actually use chains (R3 conditions) on a vehicle with AWD + all season tires is rare enough that it never happens to most people. I've only ever seen R3 conditions once; usually they close the road before R3 is imposed.
4. Winter tires will hamper the car's performance whenever it's not below freezing/icy. And if you look at where the OP is located, that's not a good tradeoff to make.
Ok

2. People have been using chains on the rear wheels only of RWD cars for decades, and have dealt with the "traction difference". What is the point? There will ALWAYS be a "traction difference" between driven and non-driven wheels, and between wheels with ANY differences in tread. Get over it!

Currently have a 2022 M3P with stock summer performance tires and rims (20" uberturbines), will be changing out the tires in the coming few days to all season tires since i'll be making some trips to the mountains for winter sports. Planning on keeping the stock rims and just changing the tires. What have people's experiences been with teslas recommended snow chain in their app (konig k-summit K-34)? Are there alternative snow chains people have had good experience with?

Thanks in advance.
Switching to all-season tires for winter sports is a smart move. Regarding snow chains, Tesla's recommendation, the Konig K-Summit K-34, is a solid choice and aligns with the app's guidance. Many Tesla owners have had positive experiences with them, finding them easy to install and effective in snowy conditions.

However, if you're exploring alternatives, TESERY offers excellent options for Tesla Model 3. Their snow chains are designed for a precise fit and efficient performance in winter conditions. You can check them out here:Tesla Model 3 Snow Chains.

It's always good to have a reliable set of chains, especially when heading to the mountains for winter adventures. Safe travels and enjoy your winter sports trips!