Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone used MICHELIN PRIMACY TOUR A/S Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about 20k with the OEM MICHELIN Primacy MXM4 tires and really low on thread left so need to change the tires soon. Any one has any experience with MICHELIN PRIMACY TOUR A/S Tires, especially with efficiency, ride comfort, noise, etc.? I don't mind having a summer tire but looking for some longer life, good efficiency and ride comfort, please share your experience any other tires too.

I just put these on my 3P, along with swapping the 20” stock wheels for 18” TSS.

I wish I had done it far sooner. The tires are much quieter, and ride much softer. The suspension is also vastly improved, but much of that could be shedding the rotational mass. (Tesla’s suspension “engineers”, or the designers who over rode them really need a slap)

Given the increase in the sidewall/going to a “comfort” tire, there is a bit of uncertainty in the suspension, but I have always felt there was uncertainty in my Tesla (I find it far more unnerving at speed than Vipers/Porsches/BMWs and MBs. Feels about like taking a WRX fast. Can be done, but there’s a definite sense of over-working the car)

IOW, if I still lived in the desert, and regularly drove over 105, I’d be nervous in them, in my car, but I think that’s really the suspension.

No issues doing the usual 85-90 in traffic. (TX has 85 mph speed limits)

We had them installed on our 2018 rwd m3 for about a month now. So far we can't really tell a difference between them and the mxm. They might be a tad quieter but ita very hard to tell. Comfort feels about the same too.

We put 47k mi on the factory mxm4 with a ave wh/mi of 230.

Now with the tour a/s at 2500 miles we have a ave wh/mi of 245.

My daily commute is 50mi one way almost all freeway.

As far as I'm aware, the Primacy A/S is the tire that Tesla currently puts on the Model 3. And according to their documents the efficiency is improved by ~10 miles over the previous offering. I'm four years after this last post, and installing the A/S on my 2018 AWD tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. I've rubbed through two sets of MXM4 in 65,000 miles. We'll see how these do. Previous were both OEM. This time I actually get a warranty. If they last 45,000 I'll be amazed!

This guy is running them:

Thanks. Interesting that so many of the comments are about running them on non-Teslas. Non-EVs for that matter. Less than a week after I get these installed, we're headed out for a 2,500-mile road trip, so I should have some data by the end of the month.

We had them installed on our 2018 rwd m3 for about a month now. So far we can't really tell a difference between them and the mxm. They might be a tad quieter but ita very hard to tell. Comfort feels about the same too.

We put 47k mi on the factory mxm4 with a ave wh/mi of 230.

Now with the tour a/s at 2500 miles we have a ave wh/mi of 245.

My daily commute is 50mi one way almost all freeway.
I see the same thing on my 2022 Model 3 Dual Motor after I replaced the tires at 29K miles. For some reasons, with the new tires (non-OEM Michelin) my car wh/mi is about 260 with the average speed of 65 mph. I travel 130 miles round trip every day.

I see the same thing on my 2022 Model 3 Dual Motor after I replaced the tires at 29K miles. For some reasons, with the new tires (non-OEM Michelin) my car wh/mi is about 260 with the average speed of 65 mph. I travel 130 miles round trip every day.
Well, that's all troubling..... So I have the new set of Primacy A/S. They sound different than the MXM4 they replace. I wouldn't call them quieter. There a bit more plush, but that's likely only due to the thick tread. Handling seems a bit more vague, though again there's the flexy tread compared to my old racing slicks....

So far I'm just "meh." I won't be able to tell actual efficiency until I have some miles on them. And I know that new tires are typically less efficient than old ones, so there's that too.

Oh, one thing: The very popular Tire Pros installation place I used did not have ANY documentation to give me about warranty, etc. In fact they said that because EVs are so heavy, that the warranties are not available. I then pointed out that this tire is made for TESLA... with the TO on the side and all. It was like they'd never heard of EVs (I had to supply my own lifting pucks) and had never heard of tire warranties. Yikes. I told Michelin. They didn't seem to care.

Well, that's all troubling..... So I have the new set of Primacy A/S. They sound different than the MXM4 they replace.
Confusingly all these are different tire types from Michelin:
  • Primacy MXM4
  • Primacy Tour A/S
  • Primacy A/S
Non-"Tour" Primacy A/S seem to be OEM tires on some other EVs, I think Ford Mach-E in some sizes.

Looks like Primacy A/S is specifically targeted towards efficiency. Reviews on the Michelin site look lousy.

Has Michelin been taken over by Private Equity and hollowed out?

Yes, it is *wildly* confusing. It was literally the day I was having them installed on my car that I realized that there was a Tour AS and just an A/S. Why would they bother with this vs just concentrating on making one the best it can be? Whatever the tiny differences may be, they aren't enough to distinguish them.

Yes, it is *wildly* confusing. It was literally the day I was having them installed on my car that I realized that there was a Tour AS and just an A/S. Why would they bother with this vs just concentrating on making one the best it can be? Whatever the tiny differences may be, they aren't enough to distinguish them.
I bet they are all actually fairly different and come from different factories with different compounds. The plain "Primacy A/S" has such bad reviews from ordinary people I wonder if it's a cheapened out MXM4, used on many OEM EVs presumably for efficiency. Read somewhere that it has only one ply of fabric in sidewall vs usual 2, but I'm not confident on that.

To be honest it looks like Michelin is falling behind on 'Touring' tire types. Their Pilot Sport performance tires are still great as are their weather tires.

Maybe Tesla switched to Hankook (Ventus S1 A/S with foam replaced the MXM4) for reasons beyond just price. I'm going to the iONs soon myself.

It concerns me that Tesla would put their stamp of approval on it if the tires really were that crappy.
Tesla didn't do the "Primacy A/S" though other automakers do. The main considerations for automakers are (1) cost (2) efficiency. Sometimes (3) noise (if a luxury car) or (4) performance (sports car). Bad weather and tire life and resistance to potholes have no importance to manufacturers, literally not their problem.

I'm not understanding the part where "Tesla didn't do" the Primacy A/S. The tires I have are stamped with TO on the side, and have the foam insert. Clearly Tesla doesn't make tires. But they have approved these certainly.

I'm not understanding the part where "Tesla didn't do" the Primacy A/S. The tires I have are stamped with TO on the side, and have the foam insert.

Primacy MXM4 A/S
Primacy Tour A/S
Primacy A/S

are all different tire models. Yes, very confusing.

Tesla used the 1st, which may now be winding down production. Tire introduced in 2010. It's efficient and only OK in other parameters. It's the third which is OEM on other EVs which has lousy reviews despite being a newly designed tire model.