Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using Neocharge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright I ordered my model y and will be awhile before it is here but I need to figure out the charging situation.
My panel is max at this point so i cant just add another circuit breaker for a 14-50, I looked at my laundry room which is next to the garage and there is a 10-30 dryer outlet there.
So I am considering just getting a neocharge to split the power between my dryer and tesla charger? I would probably have to route the ev charger to the back of the garage where the charging port will be, is using an extension then using the mobile connector from tesla safe? And also, is any of you using neocharge? Was wondering how reliable/safe they are or if there are other alternatives?

To be safe you should avoid using extension cords, especially for charging on a 30 amp circuit (24 amps maximum when charging an EV.)

I would approach this differently. First, determine how many miles you typically drive per day, Monday through Friday and also on the weekend. Then factor how many hours per day, evening or overnight you have available for home charging. In most cases you will find that you don't need to charge at 32A or 24A, charging at 16A may be all that you need. A 240V/20A circuit will charge the Tesla Model Y at up to 14 miles per hour, draw a maximum of 16 amps. In six hours that would be up to 84 miles. In eight hours that would be up to 112 miles. Most people drive an average of just under 12,000 miles per year. This is just 33 miles per day (53 miles per day if you only drive on weekdays.) Even charging at 120V/8A can add 30 miles in 10 hours of charging, 120V/12A can add more than 40 miles in 10 hours of charging.

I agree with @jcanoe that 16A is usually enough. However, if the op's panel is truly maxed out, charging at 16A won't solve the problem. A transfer switch, either manual or automatic (like the Neocharge) is the only safe option. I don't have any experience with the Neocharge so I can't help there.
However, by "maxed out", does the OP mean there is physically no space in the panel for another breaker or does the sum of the currents of all the loads equal the master breaker's amp rating? If it is a physical space problem, there may be small form-factor breakers such that 2 could replace a large breaker space, giving a place for another 20 or 30 amp breaker (supporting 16 and 24 amp charging respectively due to the 80% rule).

Is there any chance you could change out your dryer to gas and use the outlet for the car? If that's the case, there maybe a chance to re route the 30amp circuit closer to your car and just use the portable car charger with the nema 14:30 adapter.

So I took photos of my panel previously. See attached, I havent gotten an electrician to come by to give me professional advice. Anyone here able to just see and tell me if I max out the master breaker amp rating?

Attachments

• 20210320_162904.jpg
    20210320_162904.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 448
  • 20210320_162900.jpg
    20210320_162900.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 284
We have been using a 25 foot 50 amp RV extension cord for about 6 years. Standard 14-50 cocker. We run it in vented conduit as per electricians suggestion. Nice and neat. No issues. We run at max 32 amps as we use a UMC. Our panel is a 100 amp panel. Heat and hot water both natural gas.

Alright i did some research of my panel and that diagram cause I found someone else with similar panel here, lol Do the breaker amp readings sum up to dictate my current panels total / possible amperage?

So my panel is rated for 200amp. My upper section is taking up 30,30,50 amp, and its always hot. The lower section has a 60amp breaker to limit all the branch circuit breakers below. According to the panel spec, the lower section can actually go up a bit to maybe using 80amp circuit breaker? Which would have allowed me to add another 240/20 circuit breaker to power a 16amp charging in my garage? Now the issue is can i fit a 240/20amp circuit breaker into the panel still. I am looking at the diagram, i should have 8 slots on each side but I think i only see 6 being taken so far on each side?

Is what I said so far correct or did i misunderstand something? I could even go to a 14-30 too i guess.

Last edited:
I have a ventless dryer :)
That's interesting. Is it a heat pump one? I'm not very familiar with them but they are not supposed to use as much power as a conventional resistive one. How much power does it take? If not the full 30 amps, you could probably reduce the breaker size on it and have plenty of spare capacity for an EV.
Since mistakes in electrical wiring can cause your house to burn down and people to die, I won't make DIY high power electrical recommendations over the internet. However, it seems likely that you have sufficient capacity for a dedicated EV charging circuit if used correctly. I recommend you have an electrician do a load calculation and see if another 20 or 40 amp breaker can be added to support your EV charging.
Then you can postpone looking into a Neocharge or transfer switch when your wife usurps your Model Y and you have to get yourself another EV :)

That's interesting. Is it a heat pump one? I'm not very familiar with them but they are not supposed to use as much power as a conventional resistive one. How much power does it take? If not the full 30 amps, you could probably reduce the breaker size on it and have plenty of spare capacity for an EV.
Since mistakes in electrical wiring can cause your house to burn down and people to die, I won't make DIY high power electrical recommendations over the internet. However, it seems likely that you have sufficient capacity for a dedicated EV charging circuit if used correctly. I recommend you have an electrician do a load calculation and see if another 20 or 40 amp breaker can be added to support your EV charging.
Then you can postpone looking into a Neocharge or transfer switch when your wife usurps your Model Y and you have to get yourself another EV :)
Yup its an electric heat pump, full size one but its discontinued now. We mainly use it cause we didn't have the option to vent out the lint easily.

Yea, I will open up the plate just to see cause from the diagram, I actually think i have empty space available and just need to move some breakers around to free up space. And if so, i will get my neighbor who is an electrician to help me out too.

I've been running a Neocharge for years, I've had a few issues, but I also had pre-production versions. The company has always been there when there was an issue, very responsive, and I have no qualms about recommending them.

Alright I ordered my model y and will be awhile before it is here but I need to figure out the charging situation.
My panel is max at this point so i cant just add another circuit breaker for a 14-50, I looked at my laundry room which is next to the garage and there is a 10-30 dryer outlet there.
So I am considering just getting a neocharge to split the power between my dryer and tesla charger? I would probably have to route the ev charger to the back of the garage where the charging port will be, is using an extension then using the mobile connector from tesla safe? And also, is any of you using neocharge? Was wondering how reliable/safe they are or if there are other alternatives?
Exactly what i did. Should work just fine. Went with the splitvolt unit.

Attachments

• F8BB954B-37E6-43F8-8621-DF4697F8EE79.jpeg
    F8BB954B-37E6-43F8-8621-DF4697F8EE79.jpeg
    274.2 KB · Views: 239
Reactions: swheat6345
I’ve seen a few threads on the NeoCharge and some people recently asking for information on them so I made a quick video on it - figured it might be helpful for those looking to purchase one - please feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer them!

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Hi. Could you point out some of the threads you saw of people asking for information on this here? Thanks
Here are a few, just to be clear I have no involvement with NeoCharge and wasn't provided a device from them or anything, I paid for this and made a video to help, that's all!
Anyone using Neocharge?
5-15 110V garage wall outlet range anxiety or nothing to worry about ?
Most practical charging set up for 2 Tesla vehicles
Do people install 2 NEMA 14-50 outlets in one garage?

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Here are a few, just to be clear I have no involvement with NeoCharge and wasn't provided a device from them or anything, I paid for this and made a video to help, that's all!
Anyone using Neocharge?
5-15 110V garage wall outlet range anxiety or nothing to worry about ?
Most practical charging set up for 2 Tesla vehicles
Do people install 2 NEMA 14-50 outlets in one garage?

Thanks,

I will be moving this thread into that first thread as its the appropriate place for it.