Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neocharge smart splitter plus extension cord?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new Tesla owner and currently charge my Model Y on basic outlet and it takes forever. I have 10-30 outlet for my dryer and purchased the Tesla 10-30 adapter and it works way faster as expected. I was thinking about getting this NeoCharge smart splitter (NeoCharge Smart Splitter) for the 10-30 outlet, which will enable me to plug in my dryer and the charger. The problem is my car is on the other side of the garage and do not think the regular cord will be long enough. Can I or is it wise to use a 10-30 extension cord to the 10-30 adapter for tesla charge cable to then plug into the car??? I don't want to mess up the car or burn down the house, but sounds like with the smart splitter there is some regulation on output.

10-30 NeoCharge smart adapter-->10-30 extension cord-->10-30 Tesla charging cable into car????

Using a smart switch such as the Neosplitter is OK. The cost of the Neosplitter could used to pay part of the cost of a new dedicated 240V charging circuit.

Perhaps if you back into the garage the (20 ft total length) charging cord for the Tesla Mobile connector will enable you to reach the charge port on the Tesla Model Y without using an extension cord.

An extension cord of good quality will work but should be considered a temporary solution. Inspect the extension cord regularly for signs of being run over, otherwise damaged or if there are signs of overheating. Replace the extension at the first indication that the cord has been damaged.

Upvote 0
Yes, I’ve been using the neocharge smart splitter with my dryer and an extension cord for the last few years and been working very well. I got it because it was the only UL listed splitter and they have an app that is coming out very soon.

Was better than paying for a panel upgrade, which saved me.

Upvote 0
It will work, but I'd encourage you to bite the bullet and put in a proper charging circuit. The more connections you have the more points of possible failure. You're adding two extra connections (plus the contactors in the smart switch) to the normal mobile connector setup. In addition, stretching an extension cord across the garage means that there's more chance of it being knocked, kicked, kinked, stepped on, run over, or whatever.

Car charging is fundamentally different from most other electric uses in the average home. It runs at a high amperage for hours on end. HVAC and household appliances don't do that. It pays to have a solid solution for it. To me, that means a dedicated circuit with quality components and equipment.

Upvote 0
It will work, but I'd encourage you to bite the bullet and put in a proper charging circuit. The more connections you have the more points of possible failure. You're adding two extra connections (plus the contactors in the smart switch) to the normal mobile connector setup. In addition, stretching an extension cord across the garage means that there's more chance of it being knocked, kicked, kinked, stepped on, run over, or whatever.

Car charging is fundamentally different from most other electric uses in the average home. It runs at a high amperage for hours on end. HVAC and household appliances don't do that. It pays to have a solid solution for it. To me, that means a dedicated circuit with quality components and equipment.
But if you’re renting…..

Upvote 0