Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using the Glow Stick/Bright app combo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because for my Octopus Go installation they couldn't get a SMETS2 meter to work, I had to have a SMETS . For my SMETS1 meter I opted for the USB-powered Glow Stick device to monitor the meter in real time, accessible via an app called Bright. The other choice was a more conventional hand held monitor with a display.

The Bright app, in general, works well, but in the last couple of weeks the totting up of weekly gas consumption is clearly wrong (far too low compared to the daily log). The energy totals look correct but it's the cost graph that looks haywire.
Screenshot_20191125_081538_uk.co.hildebrand.brightionic.jpg
Screenshot_20191125_081550_uk.co.hildebrand.brightionic.jpg

Does anyone else use this combo and have you experienced a similar problem?

I have it, and I love it. It's a much more elegant solution than the standalone screen which I never used to look at. I haven't noticed the gas problem, though. How do you know what is correct?

The support staff are incredibly responsive; if you get them involved you'll have a techie looking into it pretty quick (they are keen to iron out any bugs).

I love the Bright app too. Here's an interesting day when the washing machine and dishwasher popped up over the cheap rate car charging :D

Screenshot_20191125_113937_uk.co.hildebrand.brightionic.jpg

@rotor2k Are your referring to Octopus support staff or support for the app/Glow Stick?

It would be nice to be able to export the data.

I'm worried I might have to reset everything to fix the gas pricing problem and then lose all my historical data.

I had it but it won't talk to my meter, kept saying out of range (despite being about 2 metres from the metre)...so I just gave up with it...I have the myenergi app and a monitoring app for my solar panels, can't say a third app to do exactly the same would be useful so never bothered to troubleshoot it

Are your referring to Octopus support staff or support for the app/Glow Stick?

It would be nice to be able to export the data.

I'm worried I might have to reset everything to fix the gas pricing problem and then lose all my historical data.
Hildebrand (the makers of the Glow Stick) support. There's an API (which you need to request access to from Support).

I had it but it won't talk to my meter, kept saying out of range (despite being about 2 metres from the metre)...so I just gave up with it...I have the myenergi app and a monitoring app for my solar panels, can't say a third app to do exactly the same would be useful so never bothered to troubleshoot it
I would check if the details for the smart meter are the correct ones (it could be that Octopus pre-populated incorrect details?)

I've got the Glow Stick and I've found that the stick, for some reason, picks up all the electricity history including standing charges for the month but not for gas. It simply picks up the gas standing charge and only the latest readings since the sticks activation. Not sure how it does this as we switched to Octopus from Bulb when we moved in back in April.

Also, the electricity is near real time (1 min intervals) but the gas is only every 30 mins. It did need a kick start to talk the meters in the end but the Hildebrande guys were great in getting things moving.

Not sure why it's picking up usage through and not the charges. They do have their 'quirks' but I quite like them for what they are and they're more accurate than the clip type monitors

I just found this app (via the speakev forum) - I can finally get accessible electricity usage data from my meter (EDF's web backend assumes that if my gas meter is out of range, I can't have any smart meters).

Does anyone use the glow stick as a range extender, and know if the extension is something which has to be facilitated by (in my case) EDF? I think I would need to wait for their SMETS2 version though...