Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using the Seasucker Mini Bomber bike rack on their Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
I am contemplating some kind of rack solution for my Model 3 so I can take my mountain bike out maybe a 1/2 dozen times a year where I wouldn't use a different vehicle.

The Seasucker Mini Bomber has everything needed to attach the bike to the glass roof and costs about $450.

The Tesla rack is a full time semi-permanent thing that gets installed, costs $600 and a separate Thule or Yakima bike carrier is another $200.

Does anyone have experience with the Seasucker roof rack? How secure are the suction mounts?

I have a hitch and a 1up usa hitch rack (up to 3 bikes).
Installation looks intimidating but it really isn't that hard.
I also have the roof rack, but I use that one for my kayak

Attachments

• kayak.jpg
    kayak.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 724
I have a hitch and a 1up usa hitch rack (up to 3 bikes).
Installation looks intimidating but it really isn't that hard.
I also have the roof rack, but I use that one for my kayak

I already have a platform rack that I use on my SUV that's much better for carrying large objects.

I'm just looking for a way to carry 1 or 2 bikes on my Model 3 easily and not sure I want to go through the hassle or expense of installing a full rack.

I think the Seasucker rack might be the way to go. I even found a reseller on eBay selling the single bike version with the older 9mm spacing mount for $250 so that might be the way to go.

I will probably purchase this and update the thread with a mini review.

How do these seasuckers work on all glass roofs? From the pics I keep seeing, part of the bike usually sits on a regular metal roof.
Is there any risk of cracking the Model 3 roof?

I don't see how it could crack the roof. There are tons of review pictures of these attached to sunroofs, etc. Each suction cup has about 280 lbs of holding force generated over a 9 inch circumference disc, not really very much.

I just ordered everything I need to get this done, Seasucker Talon Roof Rack kit that included 15mmx110mm boost spacers, and it includes a trunk cable lock (don't expect I would normally need) and free shipping with no sales tax. Out the door cost, $329.

Last edited:
Reactions: tvad
View attachment 431732 Hey VOIP, I recognize your username from the mt bike forum. I transport my bike inside the car and it works well. One question I have about those suction racks is how do you put a lock on the bike? My bike is XL 29" wheels.

Hey amigo!

Inside the car is a last resort option for sure but I'd prefer not to as historically when I've done this it beats the crap out of my car.

You bring up a good point, which is that the suction rack is not going to stop a determined thief. On the other hand it's arguable that ANY lock is going to stop someone determined from stealing a high dollar bike.

If you buy the "full kit" they do throw in a cable lock that can be used to secure the bicycle to the car by way of a tether that gets locked inside of the trunk.

My personal use is throwing the bike on my car to take it up to Golden or something, ride the bike, bring the bike back and take the bike and rack off the car. So there wouldn't be a scenario where I needed to leave the bike on top of the car long term. I might stop for a burger or something which I would always eat in sight of my car.

In the weird event I had to leave car/bike I would just remove the bike and rack and stow them in the car. The advantage of the suction rack is it can be detached and re-attached in mins.

Reactions: tvad
The big advantage of the Seasucker is that it can be used on different cars in the same family, or a friends car, or if you sell one car and get a different make or model. Its not coming off the top of the car, that's for sure, the mini Bomber has four suction cups, even one could hold it on there.

The disadvantage is the flipside of the advantage. Its removable so its not secure, or maybe "as secure" as a permanent rack which you can lock the bike in.

I have never used it where I attempted to leave the bikes and the rack un-attended for any period of time.

Reactions: tvad and voip-ninja
When I travel with a rack for road trips (not in the model 3), we won't let the bikes out of sight even with a cable lock. Years ago a friend of mine stopped for lunch on a road trip with roof rack with forks locked on. The thief simply rocked the bike until the rack broke and ran off with it. Can happen in a minute. Let us know how the Seasucker works if you decide on it. Were you looking at the new Ripley?

When I travel with a rack for road trips (not in the model 3), we won't let the bikes out of sight even with a cable lock. Years ago a friend of mine stopped for lunch on a road trip with roof rack with forks locked on. The thief simply rocked the bike until the rack broke and ran off with it. Can happen in a minute. Let us know how the Seasucker works if you decide on it. Were you looking at the new Ripley?

I’ve had a Ripley on order for five weeks now. Was supposed to get it around 4th if July.

Reactions: Magnets!
  • Informative
Reactions: Rottenapplr