Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using the Seasucker Mini Bomber bike rack on their Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any other updates on the SeaSucker? It looks like what I need for my Model 3 (Sep 2019 build). Was there an update in the roof glass at any point that would reduce the probability of cracking?

Also, have the instances of cracking been with the 1-bike rack or the 2-bike rack? Seems to me the wider footprint of the Mini Bomber would reduce the localized stresses...

Final question (for now): How do you position the rear mount? I would surmise that you mount the front fork, attach the rear wheel to the mount, then attach the rear mount?

Any other updates on the SeaSucker? It looks like what I need for my Model 3 (Sep 2019 build). Was there an update in the roof glass at any point that would reduce the probability of cracking?

Also, have the instances of cracking been with the 1-bike rack or the 2-bike rack? Seems to me the wider footprint of the Mini Bomber would reduce the localized stresses...

Final question (for now): How do you position the rear mount? I would surmise that you mount the front fork, attach the rear wheel to the mount, then attach the rear mount?

I have a mini bomber that I use on occasion, usually when I need to bring 2 bikes (my car is Sept 18 build). Have used it 10-12 times over the last 18 mos. I started to mount the fork to the rear trunklid after SeaSucker put out the advisory and have not had any issues at all - knok on wood!

In response to positioning the rear wheel I will place the cup on the roof without locking it down, mount the bike and then just move the cup into the correct place and lock it down.

So whats the consensus here? Because I had my own Tesla racks crack my roof even before leaving the garage. It’s not too practical to fold the rear seats for all cycle transport.
Wow—ouch! I use the Seasucker Talon for my road bike (when I’m on my own) but just ordered the Tesla Roof Bars so I can carry multiple bikes when riding with the family. These “...Tesla racks crack my roof glass...” posts have me concerned. I plan on installing my bars exactly as Tesla prescribes and will torque them to the specified value (assuming there is one?)—all while documenting the process with photos/video. Should things go awry, I’m hoping that the photos will show everything was installed to spec and thus give me a chance at a claim with Tesla. The cost of three bike trays and the cross bars is enough to swallow without adding in the cost of roof glass replacement. All this is making me miss our old Model S (with pano roof) and its rigid attachment points....

Another alternative. Stealth hitch + 1up rack

Attachments

• IMG_20200515_140330~2.jpg
    IMG_20200515_140330~2.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 213
After much waffling, I have ordered the 3 bike Seasucker rack to use on my Model S. It hasn't shown up yet...in fact it won't ship until next week. I'm wondering if I made the right choice - just don't love the idea of adding/removing the receiver to use my 1UP Hitch Mount rack. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of removing my wheel every time, but it seems less painful than laying on the ground with a wrench to add/remove the receiver part of the Ecohitch.

Reactions: gbailey
I think you’ll be pleased with it. It can be fitted and removed without modification to the car. You can also sell it if you don’t like it. They’re well made and there’s a strong secondhand market for them as they can be used on multiple vehicles.

@domodan , can you share an update regarding the 3-bike Seasucker? They have a flash sale and I was about to order the 3-bike version too for our Model S (all-glass roof). Two main questions I still have before hitting the buy button are:

1. If you attach the forks to the glass roof and the rear bike tire to the hatch, can you still open the Model S hatch?
2. Have you used the Seasucker anchor lock on the rear hatch? If so, does it move around along the groove of the hatch?

I can help you as I have the 3 bike bomber on an S.

1. If you attach the forks to the glass roof and the rear bike tire to the hatch, can you still open the Model S hatch? I haven’t tried it but I wouldn’t. You could try loosening the fork attachment to the mounts on the bomber but I’d rather take the bikes off to open the rear hatc.
2. Have you used the Seasucker anchor lock on the rear hatch? If so, does it move around along the groove of the hatch? I haven’t, it’s a metal bracket and placed incorrectly could crack the glass on the hatch.

Reactions: FatherTo1
I haven’t used the lock. You CAN still open the rear hatch with bikes on there. See attached. In this pic I’ve got a long wheelbase 29er - pretty much worst case scenario for length. View attachment 590417View attachment 590418

Thanks, @domodan. Do you find it difficult to secure a bike to the middle position? I'm average height and arms are just barely long enough to reach the middle of the roof when washing the car. I imagine I'd need a stand or chair to safely place a bike in that middle position. I still haven't figured out a good method of locking the bikes during a road stop.

Thanks, @domodan. Do you find it difficult to secure a bike to the middle position? I'm average height and arms are just barely long enough to reach the middle of the roof when washing the car. I imagine I'd need a stand or chair to safely place a bike in that middle position. I still haven't figured out a good method of locking the bikes during a road stop.
Yes, getting one in the middle position is more difficult. I’m about 6’, maybe 6’ 1”. I stand on the door sill. I rarely carry 3 bikes - typically it’s just 1 or 2. I love the 3 for that, because the bikes are out on the edges.

Okay time for an update.

I've had the Seasucker rack for some time and it's simply taken an eternity for my new MTB to come in so I had an opportunity to try it out. I had ordered a kit from Seasucker that included the rack, the fork spacers for boost space forks (the rack comes with an adjustable fork lock but I wanted an exact fit) and the kit threw in a free cable lock with a special device that fits into the groove in the vehicle trunk to secure it... not sure if that fits the Model 3... but hey, free lock if I ever need it.

Finally the bike (2019 Ripley V4) arrived and I got to use the rack!

First off, I did not crack my glass using this rack although I've only transported it a few times.

Secondly I am following Seasuckers updated recommendations for the Model 3 that has you placing the front suction cups on the rear glass and the back suction cup on the trunk deck lid.

This arrangement does make loading the rack a little easier, but more on that below.

I used some distilled water to wet the suction cups and had no issues with any damage or marks on my ceramic coated paint. The glass did not suffer any damage as previously mentioned.

Loading and unloading this rack is not hard, but I think the time when there is the biggest opportunity for glass damage is when putting the fork onto the rack or taking the bike off of the rack. It is quite easy for the fork to slip and it could easily hit the glass and chip or crack it. For this reason I strongly recommend attaching the rack to the bike fork and THEN placing the entire thing on the car.

The rack handled moderate speeds fine but, conscious of the fact that I was transporting a mountain bike that costs as much as a used Honda I did not do any speed/acceleration tests. I drove a little more sedately than normal. I could see that changing as I got more use and experience with the rack. Other reviewers have reported that they drive up to 80mph and accelerate and corner normally with their bike attached with suction cups.

Setting the rack up takes a bit more time than having a roof rack already on the car with a fork mount already on it. It took me about 10 minutes to get the bike on the car the first time and 5 mins the second time.

This rack seems to be an excellent low cost option for those who will only transport their bikes occasionally. If you transport your bike frequently then the permanent rack will probably be more convenient and offer more security.

All in all I give this rack five stars. It does exactly what the manufacturer claims, and it was reasonably priced at about $350 shipped to my door.View attachment 440749View attachment 440750View attachment 440751
2 years on wondering if you had any issues with your SeaSucker.. Considering getting the Bomber version.. Thanks

Reactions: Misterbee
Thanks. Tesla now recommends attaching to rear window (not roof glass) and metal top of trunk lid. Have you tried that?

Yes I've tried that as those photos are from my car. :)

What I meant to say is that either the roof glass or the hatch glass can apparently crack when using the mini bomber. Mine hasn't cracked but I'm still always a little nervous when transporting it.

Yes I've tried that as those photos are from my car. :)

What I meant to say is that either the roof glass or the hatch glass can apparently crack when using the mini bomber. Mine hasn't cracked but I'm still always a little nervous when transporting it.
Haha. Yes of course. But in those photos isn't the mini bomber attached to the rear window only? In which case that's consistent with what Tesla and Seasucker recommend. Shouldn't be an issue. I've not read about rear window cracking. Have you?

Haha. Yes of course. But in those photos isn't the mini bomber attached to the rear window only? In which case that's consistent with what Tesla and Seasucker recommend. Shouldn't be an issue. I've not read about rear window cracking. Have you?

I believe when I researched this originally I saw reports of rear and roof glass cracking but definitely the roof piece cracking seemed to be the most common occurrence.