Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with gen 3 wall connector? Question about how its supposed to work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Alset2

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2020
Ocala. Fl
Hello, read a lot of posts but this is my 1st post, look forward to any input .

I have 2020 MSLR and recently had a gen 3 wall connector installed set to 48 amps an it charges great!
My issue is that it does not behave like i "think" it should when not charging.
Once charged to my set limit the green LEDs continue to stream constantly (as if its charging). It is my understanding that it should turn solid blue to confirm its in communication with the car but NOT charging.

I have chatted and emailed several entities at Tesla (with very good response..at least in effort lol) and they, for the most part, seem to agree with my interpretation of how LED indicator is supposed to work. As such , they would pass me along to someone else.
I finally got an email from a home charging person that stated that any time the WC has any power flowing , it shows streaming LEDs. However, this is not what the manual says. I am not saying they are wrong, it kinda makes since...but why have a solid blue light for when its NOT charging but plugged in?? And why is power constantly flowing??

There are 2 other symptoms Id like to see what others experience are:

1- The car will not sleep while plugged in - Stops charging at say 9:30 pm and it never sleeps until i get to work an its unplugged

2-My KWH jumps from its normal 1 to 1.5 KWH (at night) to 3 to 4 KWH -So basically my KWH usage is double while its plugged in an not charging

Any input would be welcome
Thank you
Alset2

...WC has any power flowing , it shows streaming LEDs...

Static Blue light when plugged in but not when charging.

Streaming blue light means it's charging or as Tesla says "power flowing". When you see streaming blue light, what does your car's charge status says from the 17" display or from your phone app? What are the numbers for kW, Volts, Amperes...?

...1- The car will not sleep while plugged in - Stops charging at say 9:30 pm and it never sleeps until i get to work an its unplugged...

Plugged in older S and X waited for deeper discharge before it would be trickling recharging back for example 90% goes down to 87% or lower then back to 90% again. Thus, it had time to go to sleep in between.

With Model 3, I notice that it does not wait for deeper discharge but it keeps the discharge very shallow such as 90% down to 90% then back to 90% again! That's less than 1% difference to activate trickle charge.

I think newer S and X could have adopted the shallower discharge and recharge it more often than before. Thus, it doesn't have enough time to go to sleep.

If sleep is important to you, then unplug your Tesla.

An alternative is to set your charging timer. It will continue to trickle charge hours after the set time but I think it will stop charging when it's too far past the set time.

2-My KWH jumps from its normal 1 to 1.5 KWH (at night) to 3 to 4 KWH -So basically my KWH usage is double while its plugged in an not charging...

How do you get those numbers, please?

Thanks for the input. Im not sure it matters if the car sleeps, its just my newest discovery to read about to be honest.

My WC never stops the streaming lights.
Im not sure what the screen says ( ill have to look) but I can come out 1 minute , or 1 hour , or 8 hours after charge ends and the lights are still streaming . If I unplug it while its charged to my normal 80% and then plug it back in ,I hear the click in the WC and the lights start streaming. But app says its not charging...as it should , the battery is charged already .

I get the KWH usage because my electric company (Duke) gives us the ability to view a break down of usage all the way down to1 hour blocks

On nights I unplug before bed, usage is 1 to 1.5kw, the nights I leave plugged in its 3 to 4 kwh

Does it hurt the car not to sleep?

• Informative
Reactions: sdmack
Thanks Dholland, maybe I can get a couple more posted experiences and be able to go back to Tesla support .
For as much as these cost ,Id like it to work as designed . I suspect if it went to the blue LED I would see a drop in my electricity usage while the car is not charging .

Last edited:
Different Tesla Wall Connector question: Wall Connector on web site says “Up to 11.5 kW / 48 amp output”. Does that mean I shouldn’t connect it to a breaker of more than 50 amps. That sounds right to me but it seems like I’ve seen posts (perhaps outside teslamototclub.com) that talk about connecting to larger breakers to get faster charging. Some that I think have suggested 80 amp and have 2 Tesla Wall Connected to that breaker. So you could charge 2 cars at once. Not an issue for me at this point but just want electrician to put in the correct breaker for maximum charging but safe installation.

Different Tesla Wall Connector question: Wall Connector on web site says “Up to 11.5 kW / 48 amp output”. Does that mean I shouldn’t connect it to a breaker of more than 50 amps. That sounds right to me but it seems like I’ve seen posts (perhaps outside teslamototclub.com) that talk about connecting to larger breakers to get faster charging. Some that I think have suggested 80 amp and have 2 Tesla Wall Connected to that breaker. So you could charge 2 cars at once. Not an issue for me at this point but just want electrician to put in the correct breaker for maximum charging but safe installation.
60Amp breaker is required for 48A full duty cycle. Rule of thumb is not load a breaker to more than 80% its rated capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
This is a copy and paste from my other thread about this, just want cover the bases for any future reference

I wanted to take a moment to update this in case some one in the future has same issue...

After many emails with Tesla (they have not given up on me), they finally told me that they pulled my logs and it showed that I had "scheduled charging" turned on and that is why the car is pulling 1 amp even when its not charging .

I went out and checked, and it was off (on the touch screen) . I have never turned it on or messed with "scheduled charging" tab what so ever since I have had the car.

So last night when came home I went to the tab ("scheduled charging " ) and checked...it was still in the off mode. I then decided to cycle through the "scheduled" menus a few times to look around. I then went back and turned it off again, got out and plugged the car in and started charging .

At 11pm the I got notified that charging was complete from the app so I went out to unplug it (like I have gotten used to doing) and the green lights were not streaming...YEH!!!! It was the pulsing blue light!!! So i left it plugged in all night and this morning it was still the pulsing blue light. I also confirmed via Teslafi that the car went to sleep while plugged in..it has never done that before.

So in the next few days I will correlate that with my hourly electricity usage graph to confirm there is no longer the 3-4 wh draw.

But this seems to be a promising event, maybe now it will work like normal. (at least one night)

I just wish I could know for sure why logs show I have "scheduled charging" turned on but on my interface it shows as off?? I will post what they tell me about that if anything once they respond to my update.