Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyway to increase the power of my WI-FI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emails CS that I hadn't gotten the upgrade and they responded today that my car wasn't connected to my WI-FI and told me how to do it. They said I also needed a MAP upgrade that needed WI-FI.

That was great.

Problem is my WI-FI symbol on the screen is showing a very weak connection. Just the first dot and one bar and I'm afraid that isn't going to do it for the upgrades. I have a 150 MBS connection and WI-FI is pretty good all through my home.

Any suggestion how to increase the signal strength out to the driveway?

I emails CS that I hadn't gotten the upgrade and they responded today that my car wasn't connected to my WI-FI and told me how to do it. They said I also needed a MAP upgrade that needed WI-FI.

That was great.

Problem is my WI-FI symbol on the screen is showing a very weak connection. Just the first dot and one bar and I'm afraid that isn't going to do it for the upgrades. I have a 150 MBS connection and WI-FI is pretty good all through my home.

Any suggestion how to increase the signal strength out to the driveway?
get a range extender, get a better router like the nighthawk.

I live in an apartment, I can get cellular coverage to check my car in the garage, but there is no WiFi signal.
Since my car is connected to my electrical meter, I installed a PowerLine WiFi extender to transfer my WiFi over the power Line.

Wifi1.jpg

Note: Using some Web apps, like Fast.com SpeedTest SpeedCheck I tested the reception even before I installed an EV plug,
and I was already able to get the Wifi. I guess the WiFi can propagate to other lines by coupling.
Luckily the network is password protected, otherwise it would have been a new WiFi hotspot for everyone.

I installed the receiver in a 6x6x4 plastic junction box above my UMC so it cannot be stolen.

Wifi2.jpg

Inside my car, using the LTE icon, on the top right of the display screen, I can select which Wifi connection to use.
The 2.4 Ghz provides more range but the 5 Ghz is a little bit faster. Inside your car, you can use various
Web pages mentioned above and I get similar results as on my smartphone.

After I park my car, I quite often reboot the display screen using the two buttons on the steering wheel
and the brake pedal, or the 'Power off' button under the "Safety and Security" display menu.
I got the latest update the next day when doing so.

Last edited:
I also have an orbi system - works great. Other than something like that, or a range extender, you could move your current router closer. Sometimes just a little move will make a difference - the signal is bouncing around through walls and around corners, slight movement may focus the signal where you need it.