Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP can be dangerous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also do not understand auto pilot and its current iteration. Admittedly I have only had the car for one month and it has 750 miles on it, but to me it needs more babysitting than it’s worth. Maybe when I finally get a chance to drive out of the Los Angeles area maybe I’ll appreciate it more but the way it operates now I don’t see spending any money for it!

AP is horrible. I had an incident today similar to what the OP describes. I was in the right-hand lane on the Interstate... should be pretty ideal for AP. When I was about to pass an exit on the right, the car just started steering off the Interstate, onto the exit ramp. Needless to say it was not my exit. Had to yank the steering wheel to get back into my lane.

I honestly don't understand why so many people give thumbs-down to comments like the above (and probably this one) that criticize autopilot. It causes me way more stress than just driving normally would do. Phantom braking happens probably at least half the time I use AP for any length of time. It's annoying and scary. On a rural drive that I often take, there are several speed limit changes it does not detect. Speed limit sign goes up to 65mph, plain as day, and it insists the speed limit is 45. Sometimes I forget, and engage AP, and then it tries to slow the car down to 50mph, and I have to disengage before I get rear-ended. And now today trying to drive me off the highway.

On my previous cars I could just set the speed and not worry about it. Now I often don't bother because it's more stress than it's worth. So I have less driving assistance than I had in my 2008 BMW (which would just keep my speed for me).

Do most people usually have stress-fee miles using AP? I feel like the kid telling everyone the emperor has no clothes.

Autopilot doesn't work perfectly in every situation I go skiing about 2 times a week it's about an 80 mile drive

there is a stretch of highway that is about 60 miles long and I put my car in autopilot and for those 60 miles I can sit back have a cup of coffee talk to my wife listen to music and all I do is keep my thumb on the steering wheel it's worked perfectly for me and that situation. Ken

AP is horrible. I had an incident today similar to what the OP describes. I was in the right-hand lane on the Interstate... should be pretty ideal for AP. When I was about to pass an exit on the right, the car just started steering off the Interstate, onto the exit ramp. Needless to say it was not my exit. Had to yank the steering wheel to get back into my lane.

I honestly don't understand why so many people give thumbs-down to comments like the above (and probably this one) that criticize autopilot. It causes me way more stress than just driving normally would do. Phantom braking happens probably at least half the time I use AP for any length of time. It's annoying and scary. On a rural drive that I often take, there are several speed limit changes it does not detect. Speed limit sign goes up to 65mph, plain as day, and it insists the speed limit is 45. Sometimes I forget, and engage AP, and then it tries to slow the car down to 50mph, and I have to disengage before I get rear-ended. And now today trying to drive me off the highway.

On my previous cars I could just set the speed and not worry about it. Now I often don't bother because it's more stress than it's worth. So I have less driving assistance than I had in my 2008 BMW (which would just keep my speed for me).

Do most people usually have stress-fee miles using AP? I feel like the kid telling everyone the emperor has no clothes.

I just drove 1200 miles across the country. AP the entire trip. Was great. It did 99.9% of the work for me. I think maybe I had to adjust the speed 10 times over the trip? No phantom breaks, no trying to kill me.

but yah, I don’t use it going down country roads to a friends house. Right now it’s much better on the highway.

• Love
Reactions: mikes_fsd
AP behaves like I expect it to almost 100% of the time. I expect it to "mess up" in certain situations and am always prepared for it to try and kill me...but very rarely does it ever do something that I don't expect it to do.

OP's concern sounds like the lane centering issue AP has had for some time now. It should maintain a set distance from the left side (like a real driver) and not constantly track the center of the lane. I've notice similar behavior when lanes merge, can by quite unnerving if other traffic is in the adjacent lane.

• Love
Reactions: Arizona Willie
there is a stretch of highway that is about 60 miles long and I put my car in autopilot and for those 60 miles I can sit back have a cup of coffee talk to my wife listen to music and all I do is keep my thumb on the steering wheel it's worked perfectly for me and that situation.

I've been somewhat critical of FSD/EAP, but there's definitely a sharp contrast between urban and rural driving environments. I used FSD extensively on a 2,000 mile round trip drive to FL a couple months ago. It really performed beautifully.

Get it on the beltway in the DC area though and it's just awful.

• Informative
Reactions: COS Blue

One of the people that gave a thumbs down has "To reduce phantom braking, only follow cars while using AP" below each post they make. I can't blame them for having that because it's absolutely correct, but at the same time it acknowledges that its pretty darn bad.

The biggest problem that I see is there is no way to report issues. There isn't a "report" button in the car like the FSD beta people have. There isn't any email address to report issues to. It's basically unsupported beta SW.

None of the issues I've seen have ever gotten fixed.

I'm so desperate for Tesla to fix NoA between Portland OR, and Everett WA that I'm going to start my own challenge. The challenge will be to drive from Portland to Everett on I5 using NoA with unconfirmed lane changes, and the reward for first person who pulls it off with zero interventions or significant false braking will be given $500. Failed auto-lane changes will also immediate disqualify an entry. I'll give the challenge 6 months from the time to start it. I'm still deciding on some details, but I figure a challenge will make things interesting. I'm well beyond $500 angry at it.

NoA will be the challenge because it's TACC+AP+Nav all stacked together. So any failure of the underlying stuff will cause it to fail so its the ultimate test.

That isn't to say there are times/places where its great. But, in the PNW there doesn't seem to be that many of them.

I guess I would put myself in the category of one who has many "stress-free miles" on AP.
On a 3400 mile trip over 5 days I had two events where I could not explain why the car slowed down (phantom braking) - I checked the footage and the screen - the speed limit was correct/matched the actual speed limit and no cars/trucks cutting in.

Once, I was approaching an overpass (not a good explanation in my mind) and the other time I couldn't find a reason at all (no bridges or cars around) - both were at night.

There were a handful other scenarios over the trip and each time I reviewed dashcam footage the results were in the following categories.
  • Semi-truck straddling the line - one instance the trailer back wheel crossed fully into my lane. Mind you the car still should react more gracefully and not drop 20 to 30 mph on the interstate.
  • Another instance with a semi, where the lane markings were 99% gone and the car could not decide if the semi was going to go into our "driving space" or not.
  • going fast by a slow moving lane - normally it slows down and the screen displays the chevron markings over the slower lane, but there was an instance where our car dropped speed by ~15 mph - again should handle more gracefully
  • going into a construction zone - we had at least 2 instances where the car slowed - abruptly - below the construction speed limit when in zones with narrower lanes.
But, with al of that above, I could not have done this trip - in the same timeframe - without Autopilot!

• Informative
Reactions: COS Blue
Here's another one to add to the list. Driving down C-470 (divided highway, speed limit 65mph) with AP engaged. More than once, the system decided I was not actually on C-470, I was on a frontage road next to it or something, and that the speed limit was actually 45. So, I'm cruising along at 70 mph and then it decides it needs to help me by reducing my speed to 50. Because I'm on a surface street. Even though I'm not. Worst part is it took me a few seconds to figure out what the heck was going on -- I'm slowing down??? Why???

Probably this is just an instance of this:
Get it on the beltway in the DC area though and it's just awful.

21M3 since December 27th and over 1000 miles on highway and literally not one complaint. Always amazed and go look at my other posts. Would dog it if I needed to.

Quite surprised at the number here. In fact, I’m amazed at how aggressive it can get and remain totally safe. My only incident was when a guy almost drove into me while I was in his blind spot and I try and stay out of peoples blind spot. The AP should too.