Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One thing that makes me uncomfortable with FSD or autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gottagofast

2022 Model 3 Performance
Jan 28, 2024
USA
When I drive I tend hug the outside line of the road, there’s been a few times over my years of driving that a driver in the oncoming lane of traffic drifted a few inches to 1 foot over the middle of road into my lane

FSD tends to get much closer to the center of the line in a road rather than the outside line, if a car in the other lane came over a few inches to 1 foot into my lane like has happened to me before they would most likely hit me head on if I had FSD on vs me driving and staying close to the outside line

Reactions: byeLT4
Autopilot centers the vehicle in the lane. That makes a lot of people uncomfortable. There is no way to adjust it.

It used to also not give extra room when passing trucks on 4 lane roads. I think now it does scoot over a bit, but that might have just been coincidence for me.

Autopilot centers the vehicle in the lane. That makes a lot of people uncomfortable. There is no way to adjust it.

It used to also not give extra room when passing trucks on 4 lane roads. I think now it does scoot over a bit, but that might have just been coincidence for me.
They should update to make it slightly favor the outside line, if there’s no option

This how it is supposed to work. The reason you are uncomfortable is the optical illusion that the car seems too close the left side. If the car were to position itself to the right of center the car would be too close to the cars on your right. I do not expect this will ever change.
That’s fine for a 3 or 4 lane road, but very uncomfortable in a 2 lane road where people cross over the center coming head on at you

On a more positive note, FSD will center your car on the lane, however, if opposing traffic ventures too far towards your lane, it will move you over in caution. It also will check that area to make sure there is room to move over.

Future editions of FSD may allow the driver to select their personal preferences, but at this time, everybody gets the same configuration.

Humans have this same uncomfortable situation when someone else is driving and their driving styles do not mirror their own.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
When I drive I tend hug the outside line of the road, there’s been a few times over my years of driving that a driver in the oncoming lane of traffic drifted a few inches to 1 foot over the middle of road into my lane

FSD tends to get much closer to the center of the line in a road rather than the outside line, if a car in the other lane came over a few inches to 1 foot into my lane like has happened to me before they would most likely hit me head on if I had FSD on vs me driving and staying close to the outside line
It took Comma a few years to solve the laneless driving, I guess Tesla would take about a decade to do so.

I’m also uncomfortable with the sudden alerts that go off for no apparent reason. It makes me jump out of my skin. Supposedly the car auto corrects my steering but I haven’t felt anything different over my own steering intentions and meanwhile the ‼️ alert. Before the latest upgrade I did not have these issues. It’s happened twice. Any suggestions to override that would greatly appreciate!