Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Initial Set Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my AP speed control set to 'Relative' Speed.

The car accelerates to the posted speed limit anytime I engage the speed control function below the posted speed limit. It didn't use to work that way.

I want the car to hold the current speed at engagement.

Has anyone else seen this operation?

I have my AP speed control set to 'Relative' Speed.

The car accelerates to the posted speed limit anytime I engage the speed control function below the posted speed limit. It didn't use to work that way.

It has always worked that way- tons of threads on it going back over a year.

Per owners manual the car sets cruising speed to:

Owners manual said:
the detected speed limit (plus any offset you've specified using Speed Assist as described in Controlling Speed Assist on page 93) or your current driving speed, whichever is greater

I want the car to hold the current speed at engagement.

Has anyone else seen this operation?

Easy fix to get the behavior you want- set your relative speed offset to -20.

Since "what car thinks the speed limit is, minus 20" will virtually always be slower than your current speed, car should put the set speed at current speed.

It is "partially" fixed I think in the latest release (16.2) but I may be wrong but I am definitely seeing a change. Below a certain speed limit (I think it is either 40 or 50 miles/hour), it sets the cruise control to the maximum speed limit for that road (per the map - could be inaccurate but that is another issue). But above that speed limit, the cruise control now behaves exactly like other cars (as it should) - e.g. if I am driving at 66 miles per hour speed and I set the cruise control ON, the speed is now set to 66 mph exactly. If I brake and reduce speed to 61 and set it ON again, it is set at 61 mph and I am actually quite pleased that it is working at least partially correct.

My problem is with grossly incorrect speed limits in AP. I drive back roads is South Carolina, and most of the AP speed limits are very wrong, such as 30 mph when it's actually 55. AP will not steer at all more than 5 over the limit, and there does not seem to be any way around it, so I can't use AP where I need it most. I'm 75 years old, and I pay full attention, but AP would make me a lot safer.

I hope this problem goes away when AP reads the signs instead of relying on a database.

Reactions: hcdavis3