Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP speed limit changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my M3H for a week now but cannot figure this out.

When on AP and set to speed limit its works fine when first activated but when the speed limit changes (and it shown on the screen) the max speed doesn’t change to match the new speed limit and I need to use the right scroll wheel to change it.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

Not using auto steer just basic AP / TACC.

Cheers!

When on AP and set to speed limit its works fine when first activated but when the speed limit changes (and it shown on the screen) the max speed doesn’t change to match the new speed limit and I need to use the right scroll wheel to change it.

Cheers!
From what I remember this is normal, the cruise doesnt automatically adjust with the signs. Instead of scrolling you can make it quicker by tapping the speed limit icon on the screen and it should set TACC to the speed of the speed limit sign.

This has always been the case afaik.
You can either touch the speed limit sign on the screen for the new TACC limit to match or .... long press the stalk down 😂 .... Since you don't have one anymore, maybe there's a new shortcut by pressing the AP button on the wheel? That's probably in the manual?

• Funny
Reactions: Overworked

Cheers!
There's also a setting to engage Autolpilot at current speed or speed sign. I much prefer current speed.

It basically never adjusts - up or down - for me, except on one road (which is 30mph so wouldn't be using AP anyway).

Seems to be map related.. some people seem to manage to get it working on many roads, so I wonder if there are areas of the country where it's enabled and other where it isn't.

Typical half baked tesla implementation though.. if really shouldn't let me set it to 80 in a 40 :p

Reactions: MrBadger
It basically never adjusts - up or down - for me, except on one road (which is 30mph so wouldn't be using AP anyway).

Seems to be map related.. some people seem to manage to get it working on many roads, so I wonder if there are areas of the country where it's enabled and other where it isn't.

Typical half baked tesla implementation though.. if really shouldn't let me set it to 80 in a 40 :p
it never adjusts on dual carriage roads.

AP sticks to speed limit on the single lane roads only.

From what I remember this is normal, the cruise doesnt automatically adjust with the signs. Instead of scrolling you can make it quicker by tapping the speed limit icon on the screen and it should set TACC to the speed of the speed limit sign.
I tried this but it didn’t work - only toggled the speed alert chime on and off. Do I need to do a long press?

it really shouldn't let me set it to 80 in a 40

It really should IMO ... Tesla gets map data from 3rd party, and there are plenty of errors. There are also errors when the car, wrongly, reads the speed limit from a sign for a side road. Not being able to override an, incorrect, speed limit would mean either driving too fast, or too slow. And "way too slow" would be liability. The map has a 40-zone near my home, left over from some major roadworks more than a year ago, which is now 70. No doubt that will be fixed at some point ... but braking heavily to 40, at the point at which the old limited started, and which is in the middle of a long straight 70 MPH stretch, would be completely unexpected by following traffic

What would be helpful is some means of updating small parts of the map data - as soon as better / corrected data becomes available. The majority of Tesla cars driving a section of road at something different to the map data speed limit ought to help with correcting data.

The manual states clearly how to set speed limit mode:

I don't think that's what's asked for. What I'd like is a speed limiter, not just something that limits the max speed overall. Setting that to 70 doesn't help on roads with lower limits.
My 15 year old Mercedes has a speed limiter which ensures staying within speed limits. TACC is the opposite by always trying to drive at but not up to the limit.

I don't think that's what's asked for. What I'd like is a speed limiter, not just something that limits the max speed overall. Setting that to 70 doesn't help on roads with lower limits.
My 15 year old Mercedes has a speed limiter which ensures staying within speed limits. TACC is the opposite by always trying to drive at but not up to the limit.
Nope. No speed limiter. Sadly lacking from the Tesla ethos. We’ve been bemoaning the lack of one forever!

Is there a way to have a maximum speed limit set without using TACC?
You got the answer to the question you asked - but perhaps you actually asked the wrong question! :D

There is a way to set a maximum speed that the car can travel at - details in the manual.

There is not a way to set a variable speed limiter - as you are used to in the Merc by a push in on the end of the stalk. It is a feature that many of us would desire.

You got the answer to the question you asked - but perhaps you actually asked the wrong question! :D

There is a way to set a maximum speed that the car can travel at - details in the manual.

There is not a way to set a variable speed limiter - as you are used to in the Merc by a push in on the end of the stalk. It is a feature that many of us would desire.
This was it - speed limiter.

My wife’s old Renault had the toggle from cruise to speed limiter.

This happens to my 2023 M3 very often. When moving to a new section of the road, I have to adjust the max limit with the scroll wheel. One of the straight road I drive thru every week is 11 miles long, and the speed limit changes from one section to.another section, clearly marked on the road surface OR via street sign. There are many posts regarding this max limit topic. We have to accept it as is.

I once heard a tesla fan justifying this by 'nobody goes at the speed limit on highways' so for them it was a desired feature. Which might be true in the US, but over here we have laws, and speed cameras, and authorities more than willing to combine the two.