Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know that the camera needs to be recalibrated (although I have heard this from Safelite before) but I do believe Tesla replaces the rain sensor on these older cars each time they replace the windshield to prevent rain sensing wiper issues. May want to research both of those a little more before proceeding.
Quick update on this—the evening before my appointment Safelite told me they were having issues getting the windshield and then proceeded to ghost me for over a month. I got in touch with a local windshield place who, the following day, installed an aftermarket windshield and of course no change to the rain sensor. Autopilot was completely unaffected and the rain sensor works exactly as it did before.

Got upgraded to version 11 of the software. This looks like it's going to be a headache. The temperature control for left and right are further apart, which is good, but the release notes say you can customize the buttons on the bottom. The Toybox button is there by default, but everything I tried to remove that button turned on the HVAC.

The seat heater controls are gone. My partner uses those a lot in the winter.

This looks more annoying than helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Got upgraded to version 11 of the software. This looks like it's going to be a headache. The temperature control for left and right are further apart, which is good, but the release notes say you can customize the buttons on the bottom. The Toybox button is there by default, but everything I tried to remove that button turned on the HVAC.

The seat heater controls are gone. My partner uses those a lot in the winter.

This looks more annoying than helpful.
The vanishing of the seat heaters worried me but I found out that to open the climate menu, you can just swipe up from really anywhere in the bottom bar. In our S, I can do it without looking at the display, just reach with my hand, feel the bottom bezel and swipe up. Then a quick glance to “click” on the seat heater icon. Which is actually a larger area, less prone to being missed.
So it’s in the end a minor step back imho.

For what it's worth, I do think the MCU2 upgrade is worth it. My old MC was rebooting almost every time I got in the car. I wasted a lot of time in parking lots waiting for the car to be drivable. The new MCU occasionally goes blank for a second or two when I get in the car, but it comes back much quicker. I listen to the radio most of the time so I added the radio upgrade at the same time. You lose AM, but otherwise it works well.

Reactions: rsg123
It doesn't appear to be a reboot, but it sometimes takes a few seconds to turn on the displays when I get in. It's far more minor than the problems I had with MCU1
I have the same behaviour with MCU2, that I did not have with MCU1.
As you say, it's not really a problem, just different boot process I guess (now that the IC is actually a second display of the MCU2, and not a computer on its own)

One drawback to changing the MCU is you do lose all your settings and data. I have kept track of the Wh/Mi since I got the car and that reset. I did take a picture of the screen on the old MCU just before dropping it off to have the MCU changed. I also had to reprogram the seat memory, repair phones, redo Homelink, and all navigation data is lost. A bit annoying, but I don't regret doing it. It will probably help resale down the line too.

Another drawback is you continue getting the poorly designed, buggy updates that Tesla is famous for pushing out. With MCU1, updates are rare these days. It's probably been 3-4 years since an update produced a positive change in my car.
I’d argue against this. While Tesla arcade might not be enough to persuade you I’m happy with the increased speed, waypoints and new interface. I really like Tesla for the fact that they do release regular updates. I’m always curious what has changed and I like how things are improving over time, even depsite the fact that it sometimes is a step back before it moves forward.

One drawback to changing the MCU is you do lose all your settings and data. I have kept track of the Wh/Mi since I got the car and that reset. I did take a picture of the screen on the old MCU just before dropping it off to have the MCU changed. I also had to reprogram the seat memory, repair phones, redo Homelink, and all navigation data is lost. A bit annoying, but I don't regret doing it. It will probably help resale down the line too.
Not everyone loses all settings. Virtually all mine were remembered. I only had to reconnect Bluetooth and wifi if I remember correctly.

I’m happy with the upgrade. For me, but not for everyone, it fixed the problem where streaming music frequently skipped the last part of a song and went on to the next song. I also like getting the updates again. I don’t play the games.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I’d argue against this. While Tesla arcade might not be enough to persuade you I’m happy with the increased speed, waypoints and new interface. I really like Tesla for the fact that they do release regular updates. I’m always curious what has changed and I like how things are improving over time, even depsite the fact that it sometimes is a step back before it moves forward.

You haven't seen V 11 of the software yet. So far it's a complete mess with controls you need buried levels deep in the menus and things you don't need easily available. There is a long thread on it already. One person was so disgusted he's listed both his Model 3s for sale.

You haven't seen V 11 of the software yet. So far it's a complete mess with controls you need buried levels deep in the menus and things you don't need easily available. There is a long thread on it already. One person was so disgusted he's listed both his Model 3s for sale.
I have and I’m running it. Some things can be better (more direct controls for basic stuff like seat heaters), other stuff is a welcome improvement (re-ordering of waypoints) and some bugs appear (can’t change charge limit on MCU2 upgraded cars). What I don’t get is the mass hysteria on the topic: just chill people. Things change, that’s part of owning a Tesla. Some changes will be reversed, that’s also cool. Why people are “disgusted” with software changes is beyond me, don’t they have something more important to worry about?