Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2/2.5 upgrade to AP3 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just made a appointment for Mid Oct to replace my defective spoiler.

SC said no official info about AP computer upgrade even we all know they are starting this in USA

anyone have insights or news about AP upgrading?

Canada is always late to the party, NoA is a prefect example.

Given the way it goes, anything would be speculative at best. I would think they're giving the US priority over elsewhere and given we've already got curtailed functionality, I don't foresee it seriously improving just because of the V10 rollout. It's never been clear how Tesla deals with Canadian government rules (both federally and provincially).

My hope is that they would do it according to who bought it first - first bought, first served. I doubt that would happen with they way Tesla approaches things.

From what I understand, there are a limited number of slots available for the upgrade. Tesla is putting the first upgrades into the most efficient vehicles first. This means that they will automatically upgrade available cars when they are in the service center for other services. Very manpower and logistically efficient to upgrade those cars that are already going to be in the service bays.
They will probably upgrade the 2.5s first, get a solid read on how it is going and slowly proceed through the entire fleet.

This will allow the technicians to become familiar and efficient about doing these upgrades.

Imagine US will be first, Canada shortly behind and Europe/Asia after that. Believe that each countries requirements for validation will enter into their decisions of where to go first.

Interesting to see that Tesla is independantly starting to do these upgrades on their own, with no prompting required.

For some reason, it seems that Tesla wants as many of these V3 chip equipped cars on the road as possible. Perhaps they allow quicker data gathering for their Autopilot and TeslaVision.

Do not know of any other manufacturer that is pro-actively installing upgraded computer chips into their existing fleet of products. Amazing.

From what I understand, there are a limited number of slots available for the upgrade. Tesla is putting the first upgrades into the most efficient vehicles first. This means that they will automatically upgrade available cars when they are in the service center for other services. Very manpower and logistically efficient to upgrade those cars that are already going to be in the service bays.
They will probably upgrade the 2.5s first, get a solid read on how it is going and slowly proceed through the entire fleet.

This will allow the technicians to become familiar and efficient about doing these upgrades.

Imagine US will be first, Canada shortly behind and Europe/Asia after that. Believe that each countries requirements for validation will enter into their decisions of where to go first.

Interesting to see that Tesla is independantly starting to do these upgrades on their own, with no prompting required.

For some reason, it seems that Tesla wants as many of these V3 chip equipped cars on the road as possible. Perhaps they allow quicker data gathering for their Autopilot and TeslaVision.

Do not know of any other manufacturer that is pro-actively installing upgraded computer chips into their existing fleet of products. Amazing.

While I commend Tesla for starting to come through on it, remember they put themselves into this spot by promising that any hardware issues that would hamper FSD functionality would be dealt with. It was either live up to their promise or face an ever-growing possibility of a lawsuit.

While I commend Tesla for starting to come through on it, remember they put themselves into this spot by promising that any hardware issues that would hamper FSD functionality would be dealt with. It was either live up to their promise or face an ever-growing possibility of a lawsuit.

Does this mean if you have HW2/2.5 and AP you won't get the upgrade? Are only FSD purchasers getting upgraded?

Does this mean if you have HW2/2.5 and AP you won't get the upgrade? Are only FSD purchasers getting upgraded?

HW2.5s are getting done already by my understanding of it (Model 3s, S and X). I'm not aware of any HW2.0 have had the work done. What I'm alluding to is that those who have purchased longest ago, haven't received any word on exactly when an upgrade will occur. Supposedly, there are issues upgrading with the HW2.0 that need to be resolved. For those on 3 year leases who purchased FSD, it means odds are they'll have no full FSD functionality before the leases are up. I'm wondering what Tesla will do given they've essentially failed to deliver something promised years ago - without resolve. It's slightly different for those who purchase or have longer leases, but again, unless Tesla delivers on it at some point, they could be heading for a lawsuit.

• Informative
Reactions: Jomak

Yes, only those who paid for FSD get the necessary computer ("FSD Computer", also known as HW3) if they're currently on HW2.5. Elon has said 2.0 will be upgradeable as well, though the hardware is different beyond the computer so I imagine there will be difficulties and delays for 2.0 upgrades if it happens at all.

Standard AP functionality is not intended to be different between HW2.5 and HW3, especially since it's not a camera/sensor difference. If you did not pay for FSD, you don't get the extra bits needed for FSD.

Yes, only those who paid for FSD get the necessary computer ("FSD Computer", also known as HW3) if they're currently on HW2.5. Elon has said 2.0 will be upgradeable as well, though the hardware is different beyond the computer so I imagine there will be difficulties and delays for 2.0 upgrades if it happens at all.

Standard AP functionality is not intended to be different between HW2.5 and HW3, especially since it's not a camera/sensor difference. If you did not pay for FSD, you don't get the extra bits needed for FSD.

Should I buy a used Tesla from Tesla with FSD if it's on HW2? If I am buying it used with FSD on HW2 am I taking a chance?

Should I buy a used Tesla from Tesla with FSD if it's on HW2? If I am buying it used with FSD on HW2 am I taking a chance?
No one, including myself, can really accurately comment on that. Elon has said yes to things and later changed response (e.g. Model 3 getting air suspension).

I'd consider it a risk, but keep in mind it's something the car has as an option so they need to deliver on it.

No one, including myself, can really accurately comment on that. Elon has said yes to things and later changed response (e.g. Model 3 getting air suspension).

I'd consider it a risk, but keep in mind it's something the car has as an option so they need to deliver on it.

Out of curiosity would you go with a used 75D AP2 or save a little on AP1?

Depends upon what you are looking for. Is AutoPilot a priority, then neither really. Nobody knows exactly what Tesla will upgrade for AP2 - whether it's just the AP computer or the sensors as well. Then there's also the MCU, which constrains some functionality such as Dashcam and Sentry modes (ie. your don't get full function). If you don't need FSD, but want some level of AutoPilot, then both may work for you.

You have to get into the details of a specific car to figure it all out. Best to know the date of manufacture and then research what changes have occurred.

If it were me and those were the only variables, AP1. But that is heavily influenced by the fact I don't really use any AP features let alone FSD, and not just because they're not available where I drive (Navigate on AutoPilot) or are simply illegal right now (Summon). If you like the assisted lane change instead of having to cancel AP to change lanes, I believe AP1 has that even without the FSD option.

I suspect there's other differences between AP1 vs. AP2 cars that would have more weight in my decision, honestly. Including they fact that older S/X models were worse in terms of reliability (even if Tesla fixes under warranty, it's just headaches I'd rather not have), though I'm not sure where I'd draw the line.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Not quite. FSD owners get the upgrade for free. Those without can also get the upgrade, but will need to pay for it. They’ll probably also have to wait for the hardware to be more readily available.

I believe an X with 2.0 hardware has received the 3.0 upgrade in Ontario, it was posted on YouTube. I think it’s still being evaluated on a case by case basis for 2.0 installs.