Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I brought the car from Tesla Miami and had it shipped to Cayman Islands where I live. My car has safely reached Cayman Islands ( minus the keys which have been fedexed and will reach next week). I will have customs released by tomorrow. I Need some clarity on two issues.
1. I could access the car charge etc on the app while the car was parked in Miami port before shipment. After it has reached Cayman, I am unable to access the car on the app. It throws up the following - see screenshot showing vehicle connection error.
1617049979495.png

Is this because the US SIM in the car is not recognized in Cayman Islands ? If not, how can I resolve the problem. The sales person from Miami - Andre asked me to contact you.

Hi,
I brought the car from Tesla Miami and had it shipped to Cayman Islands where I live. My car has safely reached Cayman Islands ( minus the keys which have been fedexed and will reach next week). I will have customs released by tomorrow. I Need some clarity on two issues.
1. I could access the car charge etc on the app while the car was parked in Miami port before shipment. After it has reached Cayman, I am unable to access the car on the app. It throws up the following - see screenshot showing vehicle connection error.

Is this because the US SIM in the car is not recognized in Cayman Islands ? If not, how can I resolve the problem. The sales person from Miami - Andre asked me to contact you.

Same issue for me -- model Y bought in Miami and shipped to Cayman Islands -- and I have spoken to Tesla about a resolution. Yes, it is indeed the US SIM that is preventing this. They cannot set the SIM to "roam" in the Cayman Islands, but the SIM can be replaced with a local one (e.g. Digicel, FLOW) at the owners cost. Unfortunately, the SIM is not intended to be user-serviceable and replacing it requires the entire dashboard to be removed -- something that should only be done by Tesla. In the meantime, you can connect your car via WiFi. I keep a spare phone in my car for WiFi, though this is inconvenient and expensive.

Tesla in Miami -- who are aware of which cars are being exported -- should should ask prospective buyers/exporters to send them a local SIM to install before delivery/export.

Please see general Cayman Islands thread for additional info - Cayman Islands

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Same issue for me -- model Y bought in Miami and shipped to Cayman Islands -- and I have spoken to Tesla about a resolution. Yes, it is indeed the US SIM that is preventing this. They cannot set the SIM to "roam" in the Cayman Islands, but the SIM can be replaced with a local one (e.g. Digicel, FLOW) at the owners cost. Unfortunately, the SIM is not intended to be user-serviceable and replacing it requires the entire dashboard to be removed -- something that should only be done by Tesla. In the meantime, you can connect your car via WiFi. I keep a spare phone in my car for WiFi, though this is inconvenient and expensive.

Tesla in Miami -- who are aware of which cars are being exported -- should should ask prospective buyers/exporters to send them a local SIM to install before delivery/export.

Please see general Cayman Islands thread for additional info - Cayman Islands
That’s a good idea- to have the SIM installed in the US. However, since they don’t cover Cayman