Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intelligent Octopus connection woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is doing my head in. I added my car to Intelligent Octopus via the IOS app along with the octopus virtual key. When I plug my car in the Octopus app comes up with a charging schedule but it has never been able to actually start a charge. I just get lots of error messages telling me that the app couldn't control my car. I'm using a Zappi v1 charger (in Fast mode) linked to a myenergi hub which has no charging schedules loaded. I've also tried with the myenergi hub powered off. Octopus insist that it's because there is another app trying to control the charging but I have disabled third party app access via this touchscreen, changed my Tesla password and re-connected the Octopus app with the same result. I also called Tesla and they have confirmed that there are no other apps or access tokens showing on my logs or account, only Octopus. This happened with my last Model 3 as well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

This is doing my head in. I added my car to Intelligent Octopus via the IOS app along with the octopus virtual key. When I plug my car in the Octopus app comes up with a charging schedule but it has never been able to actually start a charge. I just get lots of error messages telling me that the app couldn't control my car. I'm using a Zappi v1 charger (in Fast mode) linked to a myenergi hub which has no charging schedules loaded. I've also tried with the myenergi hub powered off. Octopus insist that it's because there is another app trying to control the charging but I have disabled third party app access via this touchscreen, changed my Tesla password and re-connected the Octopus app with the same result. I also called Tesla and they have confirmed that there are no other apps or access tokens showing on my logs or account, only Octopus. This happened with my last Model 3 as well. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Rather than using the Tesla integration, why don’t you try linking IO to the Zappi? The IO-Zappi integration works very well and is more reliable than the Tesla integration, as the Zappi tends to have a more reliable connection to the internet and the API just seems to be more reliable in general.

When I set it up it asked for details of my charger and my car so I told it both those. I'm not sure if it's the car or charger that's connected to the Octopus app. There doesn't seem to be a way to check in the app.

When I set it up it asked for details of my charger and my car so I told it both those. I'm not sure if it's the car or charger that's connected to the Octopus app. There doesn't seem to be a way to check in the app.
What does the Devices screen show when you look at charging preferences? Does it say “Charge to add” or something like “Charge target?”

On the Octopus app for Android this is all it shows
Screenshot_20240331_094402_Octopus.jpg
Screenshot_20240331_094346_Octopus.jpg

As it says “Charge limit” it means you’re using the Tesla integration. You could try disconnecting your car in the IO settings and set it up again but when it asks how to connect, select charger rather than car. If you select Zappi first, it’ll integrate via that. Be mindful it will also ask what car you have to know what size battery it has.

Reactions: dwl99
I have the Zappi as well with IO, and you can set it up by device first, it will still ask what car you have but mainly for battery size. If you set it up by car first it will go through all the creating a virtual key etc..

I couldn't get mine to fully work direct to the Tesla, but found that the Zappi works great, within 30 seconds of starting an actual charge - ie going onto the zappi and selecting fast charge it creates a schedule. Not sure if it was the connection to the car as its borderline wifi, where the zappi has a good signal.

Reactions: dwl99
I have the Zappi as well with IO, and you can set it up by device first, it will still ask what car you have but mainly for battery size. If you set it up by car first it will go through all the creating a virtual key etc..

I couldn't get mine to fully work direct to the Tesla, but found that the Zappi works great, within 30 seconds of starting an actual charge - ie going onto the zappi and selecting fast charge it creates a schedule. Not sure if it was the connection to the car as its borderline wifi, where the zappi has a good signal.
There’s no need to set the Zappi to fast for IO to work. Leave it in Eco+ mode. IO schedules will be created pretty quickly if you plug in later in the day, however may not appear immediately if you plug in before 6pm, but will generate subsequently.

Ok, I've connected the Zappi to the car in Fast mode and the Octopus app immediately generated a charging schedule. There's a Zappi schedule set for 23.30-05.30 which would normally only run if the charger is in Eco+ mode so will the IO scheduled charge work OK? If I connect the car with the Zappi in Eco+ mode I can't see any way to disable the Zappi schedule apart from deleting it.

Last edited:
Ok, I've connected the Zappi to the car in Fast mode and the Octopus app immediately generated a charging schedule. There's a Zappi schedule set for 23.30-05.30 which would normally only run if the charger is in Eco+ mode so will the IO scheduled charge work OK? If I connect the car with the Zappi in Eco+ mode I can't see any way to disable the Zappi schedule apart from deleting it.
If you plug the car in on Fast mode it will just charge at the peak rate. You need to have the Zappi on Eco+.

I’d suggest you simply delete the schedule on the Zappi to be sure.

I would suggest all of this information can be found in the guides.

Reactions: browellm and dwl99
Woo hoo, I can't quite believe it finally worked. Thanks for all the help.
I’d just point out that with the Zappi integration, the % you set is “Charge to add” rather than a target SoC. So don’t just leave it on 80% or similar if you only generally need 20% or 30%. If you do this, you’ll be given far more charging slots than you actually need and could be seen to be gaming the system and fall foul of the T&Cs.

I’d just point out that with the Zappi integration, the % you set is “Charge to add” rather than a target SoC. So don’t just leave it on 80% or similar if you only generally need 20% or 30%. If you do this, you’ll be given far more charging slots than you actually need and could be seen to be gaming the system and fall foul of the T&Cs.
Thanks, I hadn't realised that.