Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

app says 137 miles when I stop charging (home), but when I unplug car screen says 128 miles!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
app says 137 miles when I stop charging (home), but when I unplug car screen says 128 miles!
This is about an 8% discrepancy - sometimes was 2 or 3 miles before but this is getting ridiculous! Time from charging to going to garage to unplug - about 10 minutes.

The car is able to do a better estimation of battery capacity when it's not charging, so you're likely to get slightly inaccurate range estimation while charging. And while you're right about the percentage, the discrepancy is going to be greater at lower SOC, so percentage is probably not the right way to look at it.

I suggest you simply accept that the estimated range may differ between plugged/unplugged by 10 miles and then simply compensate (i.e. wait until the app reads 10 miles more than what you are aiming for before taking the walk to the garage to unplug it (if I am understanding your comment about the 10 minutes correctly, which I'm not sure if I am).

Upvote 0
The car is able to do a better estimation of battery capacity when it's not charging, so you're likely to get slightly inaccurate range estimation while charging. And while you're right about the percentage, the discrepancy is going to be greater at lower SOC, so percentage is probably not the right way to look at it.

I suggest you simply accept that the estimated range may differ between plugged/unplugged by 10 miles and then simply compensate (i.e. wait until the app reads 10 miles more than what you are aiming for before taking the walk to the garage to unplug it (if I am understanding your comment about the 10 minutes correctly, which I'm not sure if I am).
Perhaps, but this is a new a sudden change with same conditions, outside temp., etc. for over 3 years the readings did not vary by more than a few miles so the tripling of the difference got my attention.

Upvote 0