Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amps kick down to 30 when I plug in.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Running into a small issue. After months of being able to charge at home at 48 max amps, my new max randomly went to 30. When plugged in and I click stop charging, it shows 48 A where it says “Charge Current at this location”, implying it’s capable of 48. As soon as I hit start charging though, that new max immediately switches to 30. It doesn’t allow me to click the + symbol to go any higher.

Same exact thing in my app too. Shows 48 when unplugged, but as soon as I plug in, it kicks down to 30.

Anyone run into this issue before? I tried to find it it happened to anyone else first before making my own thread. The only thing I’ve seen implies how there is 3 cells doing 16 amps each, and if one goes out, a lot of people charge at 32 instead of 48. But mine is 30.

Thank you for your time.

It's likely that your wall connector (or whatever you are plugging it into) is "advertising" 30A as its limit. If you did not intentionally change some setting in it, it's possible that there is damage, or a voltage drop, or something else that is making it drop its max power. Let us know more about your charging hardware so we can advise.

Upvote 0
It's likely that your wall connector (or whatever you are plugging it into) is "advertising" 30A as its limit. If you did not intentionally change some setting in it, it's possible that there is damage, or a voltage drop, or something else that is making it drop its max power. Let us know more about your charging hardware so we can advise.
I appreciate the response. Yep, I’m using your standard wall connector gen 3. Like I said, I charged at the max of 48 for months until recently. I’d find it hard to believe anything was damaged but obviously anything is possible.. was just hoping there was some odd thing I was missing.

And it’s not like it’s even that HUGE of an issue. Clearly I’ll get a full charge overnight at 30 just as well, it’s more just a I want to maximize what it’s capable of kinda thing.

Upvote 0
I appreciate the response. Yep, I’m using your standard wall connector gen 3. Like I said, I charged at the max of 48 for months until recently. I’d find it hard to believe anything was damaged but obviously anything is possible.. was just hoping there was some odd thing I was missing.

And it’s not like it’s even that HUGE of an issue. Clearly I’ll get a full charge overnight at 30 just as well, it’s more just a I want to maximize what it’s capable of kinda thing.
Log into the wall connector and see what max it is set to. Gen3s are software controlled, it's possible something altered the setting.

Reactions: Thp3
Upvote 0
When plugged in and I click stop charging, it shows 48 A where it says “Charge Current at this location”, implying it’s capable of 48. As soon as I hit start charging though, that new max immediately switches to 30. It doesn’t allow me to click the + symbol to go any higher.

I realize you mention the car used to charge at 48amps at that location. With that being said, what the car shows before you plug in and start charging doesnt really matter, its what it shows after you start charging.

If it shows 30/30, that means that its only seeing a 30amp circuit at that location. The fact that it says 48 before you plug in doesnt really matter. 30amp also isnt a number that immediately leads to problems with one of the chargers in the car as those are 16amp each, so its 16amp, 32amp or 48 amp if you have a car thats capable of 48 amp as it appears you do.

I would recommend doing what both @RTPEV and @GHammer mentioned, which is log into the wall connector directly and re commission it (or attempt to re commission it) for 48 amps.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Um. You didn't say what kind of car you have, but the fact that you've been charging at 48A implies it's a P or LR Tesla variant.

These cars have, built in, three city power to DC voltage converters, each capable of rectifying 16A of 240 VAC. With the Teslas I've had, it's pretty obvious: First, the car goes from 0 to 16A, waits a second, drops down to 14A or something, then ramps up to 32A; then drops a bit, again, and ramps the final leg to 48A.

It's been mentioned in other places on this forum that it's possible (and has been confirmed) that one or more of these 16A modules can independently fail. In which case, with one out, 32A (or so) is what you're going to get.

I'd strongly suggest, if possible, that you either enlist the help of either another Tesla owner with a 48A Wall Connector or head over to a Service Center and use one of theirs. If you get 30 A in another location, it's not the Wall Connector, it's the car.

Another possibility might be a loose connection in the Wall Connector. The WC has thermal sensors; the car has voltage monitors; so, with a loose connection of some kind, one'll see both heat and reduced voltage, both of which can conspire to reduce the charging current.

Are there any messages on the car's alerts screen?

Reactions: fhteagle
Upvote 0
These cars have, built in, three city power to DC voltage converters, each capable of rectifying 16A of 240 VAC.

It's possible that one or more of these 16A modules can independently fail.

Maybe try using a public L2 Charger to check if your car can handle the 48A at that location.
This would allow you determining if your car or your wall charger has the problem.

Upvote 0
Does a red light come up on your charger when you plug in? If so, charger is derating.
If the charger is telling you it now thinks it can only do 30a after X time of 48, there’s an issue. Could be wiring into the baseplate of the charger. Could be breaker in the Main Panel/subpanel.

But, if it’s anything like most Gen3 and red light blinking with the stream of green lights, you need a new charger. Contact tesla.

Upvote 0

It could be a huge issue. "Damage" may not be visible to you. if the installer did not properly connect and tighten the wires feeding the wall connector they can eventually loosen, creating a higher than normal resistance in the circuit. This could potentially be a fire hazard, so I would certainly make sure you understand what the issue is and work to resolve it. Maybe it's just misconfigured, but if there is an electrical issue, it's best not to just live with it because you don't need the 48A.

Reactions: Supcom
Upvote 0
It could be a huge issue. "Damage" may not be visible to you. if the installer did not properly connect and tighten the wires feeding the wall connector they can eventually loosen, creating a higher than normal resistance in the circuit. This could potentially be a fire hazard, so I would certainly make sure you understand what the issue is and work to resolve it. Maybe it's just misconfigured, but if there is an electrical issue, it's best not to just live with it because you don't need the 48A.
And, to the OP: Just so we're clear: The screws that are torqued down to a specific torque that hold down the high voltage, high current wires in the TWC (or, for that matter, in the car).. If they aren't torqued down properly, or lightly, one will get Incidental Contact between the wires and conductors where ever. Over time, with good old O2 (Oxygen) in the atmosphere, the oxide will build up until that incidental contact isn't so incidental any more.

Screwing things down properly gives one a gas-tight connection where the softer oxides get smushed out of the way and one gets true, metal-to-metal connection at a microscopic level (we're talking like, welds here. Not quite a weld, but close.)

So an electrician who's busy rushing through the job, had half-tightened something down, had gone back and tightened stuff back up before finishing, but missed one of those screws may have very well put you in the position you're in.

It's known that if the voltage, open-circuit (i.e., the Tesla isn't drawing current, but can see the presence of voltage) to the condition where there's a significant voltage drop (i.e., semi-open connection) will result in the car drawing less current, which is a "save-the-day" scenario that the software guys put in. Given that you're getting 30A, which is neither fish nor fowl as regards losing one of the rectifiers, there's a half-assed guess that this may very well be a loose connection.

And it doesn't have to be in the Wall Connector, either. A loose connection in the breaker box (a faulty-from-the-manufacturer breaker, a screw in there not tightened down properly, or a clip on the breaker that didn't clip properly, etc.) will Do The Deed as well.. albeit, more likely to result in flashy lights on the TWC if anything like that did happen.

Yeah, it's possible that the car's current setting got turned down to 30A for some reason: But you said that the car says, "48A" at your location, so I don't think so on that subject.

Now Hear This: This Is Not A Drill. Do Not Pass Go. Stuff like what I'm describing above is how, if the signs line up wrong, people get house fires. At the moment, the Save-The-Day function in the car TWC seems to be in operation. That's nice: But, belt and suspenders. If one is the kind of person who has to wear a belt and suspenders to keep one's pants from hitting the ground, going around with one of those may be acceptable for a short time, and is better than not having the live backup. But this is a Bet Your Life situation, and I'm not kidding. GET THIS FIXED, ASAP.

FWIW: That logo up there is not a joke. Before retiring, I routinely got bent, broken, and burnt (as in, "holes in it") gear from the field and rigged things so that, whatever that was, didn't happen again. I'm not an electrician, but I do play one when it comes to telecom failures. Don't screw around with this.

• Helpful
Reactions: RTPEV and GleanerC
Upvote 0