Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2015 is dropping around 40 miles of charge within a minute or two of unplugging from a charger.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! About 2 months ago I sent my car in for some body work and when I got my car back it was doing some really peculiar things. The most concerning new thing is that every time I unplug from a charger, it doesn’t matter what charger I use, at what speed or location, I’ll put the car in drive and within a minute the battery has dropped anywhere between 30 and 45 miles of charging. There was one instance where I charged fully (80% ish) and it didn’t do this, but that was just one time. I haven’t been that fortunate since.
Someone mentioned it might just be the counter that’s off but I don’t think that’s accurate. It’s not miscounting its charge, the battery is losing a big chunk of battery power immediately after unplugging.
I absolutely can not afford to replace this battery right now and I still owe about 16 grand on the darn thing. Someone please tell me there’s a solution here that doesn’t involve a cliff or an insurance claim. Thank you in advance!

There was one instance where I charged fully (80% ish) and it didn’t do this
You understand that 80% isn’t “charged fully,” right?

What happens when you actually charge fully (100%)?
the battery is losing a big chunk of battery power immediately after unplugging.
Chemistry doesn’t work that way. The problem is in the measurement, not that the battery is instantaneously losing energy.

Upvote 0
This sounds like there may be a faulty brick or module. The BMS is trying to recalculate things out and cope with a brick or Module being a lower or higher voltage than the others.

May I ask, what type of body work being done? Collision? Can you look under the car and see if there is any damage at all to the battery pack? Dents, major scrapes etc...?

I'd also recommend getting yourself setup with TM-SPY and ScanMyTesla. How-To video below, which also includes links to the Bluetooth Adapters & How to get the software. This will help you verify if there is in fact an issue with the battery. Also, if you go into the service menu on the car, depending on if you have MCU1 or MCU2, it will show you a "little" bit more information (Mostly if there is a MAJOR issue). Finally, I'd recommend charging it to 100% a few times in a row to help make sure the pack is balanced out.

Upvote 0
You understand that 80% isn’t “charged fully,” right?

What happens when you actually charge fully (100%)?

Chemistry doesn’t work that way. The problem is in the measurement, not that the battery is instantaneously losing energy.
Yes, I understand the difference between fully charged and 80%. That’s why I made the effort to clarify in the parentheses.
Charging to 80-85% each time is fully charging to me as I do not completely charge the battery unless I am going on a long trip, per Teslas instructions. Surely you could have figured this out based on what I wrote.

I have not charged to 100% yet as I have not needed to.

I’m not trying to be rude but if I understood how chemistry played a part in this to the degree you’re insinuating, I wouldn’t be here in this forum asking for help. I worded it the way I did because I didn’t know how else to convey the issue.

Upvote 0
does it drop in % too? or only miles display?
if it drops both then only logical thing would be that during charging voltage is higher then when u unplug..
but i thought BMS already took that into account... so maybe some software glitch? are u on latest version?

Upvote 0
I have not charged to 100% yet as I have not needed to.
What I’m saying is actually charge the car to 100%. a real “full charge.” That’s why I asked what happens when you actually charge fully. Give the battery management system a fighting chance to accurately calculate the available capacity in your battery.

Charge to 100% and then run it down low, to 10 or 20%. Do this a few times.

Reactions: outdoors
Upvote 0
A couple of points. It is better to use battery % charge instead of miles. Also, you can use the energy app (I assume your old car has this) to see where the battery is being used. Good luck.
I wouldn't say using % is better, but rather a personal choice. I actually prefer using miles because it gives me more information. But I can see the argument for using %, and I think most people probably do that.

I wish they would give the option to display both at the same time, and then I would do that.

Upvote 0