Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

app showing exported power as additional home use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received PTO Friday. When the system is exporting power to the grid, the app shows nothing flowing to the grid and shows an increased amount of power flowing to Home instead. I can confirm that the house is not using the added power because the Sense monitor on my electrical panel shows an equivalently lower amount of power being consumed. Unfortunately, my Sense does not have any CT's to monitor solar production. In off grid mode the power flow seems to read properly and upon going "off grid" the extra home power flow disappears immediately Prior to PTO, I had been running the system for about 6 weeks in off grid mode. The system consists of 16kW solar, 2 PowerWall Plus units, 1 PowerWall 2, and 1 Tesla Electric Gateway 2. The TEG2 is running firmware 21.35.0 and I'm using version 4.1.1 of the iOS Tesla app. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I figured I would check here first before calling Tesla for support.

Thanks

tesla solar ap.jpg

sense.jpg

Tesla support is going to have their software team push out a firmware update for the metering device in the TEG2 sometime in the next 3 days, which they say should correct the issue.

Thanks

See if you can see what firmware version you are on now, and then check to see what they move you to, and if that somehow fixes your issue. Please check in and let us know.

Given that others are running 21.35.0 without having this issue that would seem to indicate that it is not a problem with 21.35.0. The Tesla support guy said the application support group would connect to the system and update the firmware on the microcontroller for the metering device. Is it possible there is different firmware for sub components of the TEG2?

teg2.jpg

A week later and the problem remains. My utility meter confirms that they system is not actually exporting any power to the grid. The extra power flow the app shows going to Home is actually going into the PowerWalls. It charges the PowerWalls up to 100% without StormWatch being triggered and curtails solar production once the PowerWalls hit 100%. I did a chat support session with Tesla yesterday and they have scheduled a technician to come to my house on November 2nd.

Update. My service appointment was canceled without communication from Tesla. I noticed it was missing from the app on Nov. 1, however my system started properly exporting power to the grid. I'm guessing that Tesla was able to remotely correct the grid exporting problem, which is rather nice.

Unfortunately, my system still shows inaccurate power flows within the app while running in grid connected mode. About half the power going into the PowerWalls is erroneously displayed as additional "home" usage. As soon as the system is put in "off grid" mode the power flows appear correct. I had hoped that a firmware update might correct this issue, but my system updated itself to 21.35.3 last night with no change. The current transformers in my Tesla Energy Gateway 2 are factory installed, and I verified that they are firmly plugged into the main board. My two PowerWall Plus inverters have factory installed current transformers and all the cable connections appear to be firmly seated. My 3rd PowerWall, a PowerWall 2 has no current transformers connected to it, as I assume it's power flow is monitored internally.

In grid connected mode the system charges the PowerWalls to 100% then begins exporting power to the grid. Is it correct for the PowerWalls to charge to 100%, as I thought they were only supposed to charge to 98% unless in "storm watch?"

Has anyone else experienced this issue with a TEG2 system and has Tesla been able to correct it?

Thanks