Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App store for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My coworkers and I were talking at lunch and I brought up the potential of having apps on the Model 3 (and even other Teslas). It seems to lend itself to that well based on the large screen. Of course there would be major safety considerations and you probably wouldn't want 3rd parties creating apps that could control the car but I could see huge benefit from letting people making custom music players or GPS based apps.

It would be cool to be able to have companies be able to create apps that work on the Model 3. Especially if the car is connected. What does everyone think?

That was originally in the plans, but Tesla has said that they changed their mind and now they are looking at casting instead. (So you can cast your phone screen on to the large screen in your Tesla.) But they said it has turned out to be much more work than they planned.

That was originally in the plans, but Tesla has said that they changed their mind and now they are looking at casting instead. (So you can cast your phone screen on to the large screen in your Tesla.) But they said it has turned out to be much more work than they planned.

That sounds really interesting. The problem with casting screens is you have to support all the different types of phones and the screen resolution. I could see a new firmware update on one (car or phone) causing the other to not work until the next firmware update. I just thought it would be cool to have the apps running directly on the car instead.