Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App version 3.8.0 - Notification of power outage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed that the app now has a notification for grid down. Nice addition. Does anyone know when that happened?
Hopefully this will allow me to prevent my worst case scenario where we lose the grid and the Model S starts charging and drains the battery before morning.

I think I received my first Grid aspen APNS last spring. It only appears if it’s more than 5 minutes from what I can tell based on my previous APNS from summer of 2018.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
The notification feature has been around for a while - probably more than 6 months. However, it doesn't work consistently for everyone. There may be a required outage duration before it sends a notification. I didn't get one for my most recent 1 minute outage.
You are correct that it's been there a while. We tested it in September and it worked fine to alert us of the 8 minute outage when our meters we installed. It also alerted us to a 14 minute outage when our Powerwalls were installed in July. However, we had two 5 minute outages since then and didn't receive a notification for either of those outages.

I do NOT receive notifications and it is a frustrating deficiency. i am on iOS running v1.29. Two PW's with solar. I have no notification option/button on the Customize page of the app. And Yes, i have notifications enabled for the app at the iOS level.

When the grid goes down the only way I would know is if I go in and check the current Powerflow or go to the Backup History page. I would love to get an alert or text message/email when it goes down. clueless to power outage

I'm not sure how tech savvy you guys are but you can write your own script to check the PW's grid status value via the local API and kick off a notification when the grid is down.

Originally, I had an Android box with Tasker installed to check every minute and send notifications to multiple devices (mostly via AutoRemote) in the event of a grid outage. Since then, I've moved the logic over to my Vera Plus home automation controller which runs the check as a lua script every 20 seconds.

Happy to share code snippets of either solution if anyone needs it.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I'm not sure how tech savvy you guys are but you can write your own script to check the PW's grid status value via the local API and kick off a notification when the grid is down.

Originally, I had an Android box with Tasker installed to check every minute and send notifications to multiple devices (mostly via AutoRemote) in the event of a grid outage. Since then, I've moved the logic over to my Vera Plus home automation controller which runs the check as a lua script every 20 seconds.

Happy to share code snippets of either solution if anyone needs it.
That's assuming you still have internet after your grid goes down :). I had an outage in Nov for 3 hours and cable went out at the exact same time. Cell connection in the powerwall kicked in and told me of the outage.

I have an extremely weak cell phone signal at my house and the Powerwalls AT&T card can't leverage it. If my broadband ISP (cable) goes out, the PW's can not communicate with the back end application in the Tesla data center. In this scenario I will not be able to get any information from the mobile application because that data is all round tripped thru the back end application at Tesla. However, I can connect directly to the wireless network in the powerwall and get basic information thru a browser using the gateway serial #.

I do NOT receive notifications and it is a frustrating deficiency. i am on iOS running v1.29. Two PW's with solar. I have no notification option/button on the Customize page of the app. And Yes, i have notifications enabled for the app at the iOS level.

When the grid goes down the only way I would know is if I go in and check the current Powerflow or go to the Backup History page. I would love to get an alert or text message/email when it goes down. clueless to power outage
IIRC, you don’t have a Tesla car, right? I think I’ve seen suggestions that because the car isn’t in your app display, you’re not seeing the option for enabling notifications (and yet others have said they’ve DO see the notification option and DON’T have a Tesla car.)

Have you tried removing/uninstalling the app completely and reinstalling?

Correct, I do not have a Tesla vehicle.

I just reinstalled the app and I still do NOT have a Notifications option on the Customize page.

However, when I go into settings, I now see Inbox, Loot Box, and Notifications options.

When I click on Notifications, it shows Power Outage with a circle and a check mark in it. I can uncheck it..... not sure what this is...... is it telling me that i had a power outage? or giving me the option of being notified in the event of a power outage?

Strange.

Correct, I do not have a Tesla vehicle.

I just reinstalled the app and I still do NOT have a Notifications option on the Customize page.

However, when I go into settings, I now see Inbox, Loot Box, and Notifications options.

When I click on Notifications, it shows Power Outage with a circle and a check mark in it. I can uncheck it..... not sure what this is...... is it telling me that i had a power outage? or giving me the option of being notified in the event of a power outage?

Strange.
Yes, Settings is where the notification options are supposed to be, not in Customize. The check box is giving you the option of being notified by the app. If it's checked, you're supposed to be getting notifications.

please take a look at the attached screenshots. when I go into notifications, I see "Power Outage" with a radial button next to it that I can check or uncheck. Is this giving me the option to receive a notification specifically in the event of a power outage? This seems incongruous because what about other event types? It would seem to make more sense to have a holistic notifications On/Off option, or to list all of the the event types (versus just listing 'power outage'
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg

please take a look at the attached screenshots. when I go into notifications, I see "Power Outage" with a radial button next to it that I can check or uncheck. Is this giving me the option to receive a notification specifically in the event of a power outage? This seems incongruous because what about other event types? It would seem to make more sense to have a holistic notifications On/Off option, or to list all of the the event types (versus just listing 'power outage'View attachment 371694 View attachment 371695 View attachment 371696 .

This is the only notification you get for the Powerwall, so it's doing what you expected. If you had a car, you would first get to a Vehicle vs. Energy selector. Selecting Energy gives the notifications screen in your second screenshot. Selecting Vehicle gives you the list of different notification types for cars.

please take a look at the attached screenshots. when I go into notifications, I see "Power Outage" with a radial button next to it that I can check or uncheck. Is this giving me the option to receive a notification specifically in the event of a power outage? This seems incongruous because what about other event types? It would seem to make more sense to have a holistic notifications On/Off option, or to list all of the the event types (versus just listing 'power outage'View attachment 371694 View attachment 371695 View attachment 371696 .
There are no other notifications available at this time besides the one for power outages.

When it is checked, you should receive notifications. With that said, there might be a minimum time required before a notification is sent. I didn't get notifications for two recent 5 minute outages but did receive notifications for outages back in July and September that were 14 and 8 minutes long, respectively.

great, thank you both. that makes sense now. I assumed that there were other notification event types.

last question on this subject: What is the medium for the actual notification? is it something that just shows up in your inbox in the app? and/or is there some audible/visible alert?

great, thank you both. that makes sense now. I assumed that there were other notification event types.

last question on this subject: What is the medium for the actual notification? is it something that just shows up in your inbox in the app? and/or is there some audible/visible alert?
It's only a normal Apple Push Notification just like almost every other app. If you own an Apple Watch, make sure to allow the Tesla app to send notifications to it, so that it doesn't get lost in a sea of notification on your iPhone.

Does anyone have the same problem: I'm on the latest version of the Tesla app, but the majority of the time, I don't get the notification of a grid loss, only getting "Grid power restored" notification. Sometimes this could be hours apart, so when I'm at work I'd have no idea that the powers down till several hours later. Rang tesla support, and they simply said "We don't have any support documentation for this issue" and that they couldn't help me. Latest iPhone os, and updated app.

Does anyone have the same problem: I'm on the latest version of the Tesla app, but the majority of the time, I don't get the notification of a grid loss, only getting "Grid power restored" notification. Sometimes this could be hours apart, so when I'm at work I'd have no idea that the powers down till several hours later. Rang tesla support, and they simply said "We don't have any support documentation for this issue" and that they couldn't help me. Latest iPhone os, and updated app.
the few times I've got the APNS for Grid Down was just after 5minutes of full outage...

I'm wondering if the feature is not yet fully baked