Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App won't wake car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is still an issue. My previous Model S in my home garage for over 8 years never had this app waking issue. My new Model S has had this issue for several months. Tesla Service cannot replicate it at the center.

I just want to connect for early morning climate control and the sorts.

This is still an issue. My previous Model S in my home garage for over 8 years never had this app waking issue. My new Model S has had this issue for several months. Tesla Service cannot replicate it at the center.

I just want to connect for early morning climate control and the sorts.
For testing purposes have you tried switching off the Wi-Fi in the car (or router) and forcing it to use LTE? A dodgy Wi-Fi connection can mess up the coms sometimes.

For testing purposes have you tried switching off the Wi-Fi in the car (or router) and forcing it to use LTE? A dodgy Wi-Fi connection can mess up the coms sometimes.
I have not but will tonight, for testing tomorrow. I have noticed that when I turn Wifi off in the car, the car takes quite a while to connect to LTE. This may all be an issue with cellular in the car, which could be why it's intermittent.

Where is the antenna located? Side mirror?

Right. The SMS is from the Tesla servers to your car.

They can't use the normal data connection, because the data connection (whether wi-fi or cellular) is presumably handled by the MCU, which is powered off at this point, so there's probably nothing in the car that's actually capable of talking to the Internet at this point. However, the connectivity board (with its cellular modem) is always powered, and it can trigger the car to power the MCU on when Tesla instructs it to wake the car. I guess they use SMS for simplicity and/or lower power draw.
Posts like this are why I keep coming to the forum. I feel like I learn something about my car at least once a week. Nice job Roy!

sadly, at least in the US, Tesla uses AT&T. Ugh. Lousy coverage relative to their peers. Now I know why wake-up is sometimes AWOL…. Sigh…

Posts like this are why I keep coming to the forum. I feel like I learn something about my car at least once a week. Nice job Roy!

sadly, at least in the US, Tesla uses AT&T. Ugh. Lousy coverage relative to their peers. Now I know why wake-up is sometimes AWOL…. Sigh…

They normally have a deal whereby they have "roaming" capability across all providers ... that's certainly the case in the UK. Are you sure they only use one provider where you are? That approach would appear to guarantee less than optimal connectivity!

I tried turning off Wi-Fi by having my model s forget all networks. Otherwise, it will turn back on after next drive.

It didn't work. It just doesn't connect to LTE while in my garage.

For comparison, I've been parking a model s in the same garage bay since 2014 and this is a new problem for me. The car until recent months has always quickly connected to the app.

I tried turning off Wi-Fi by having my model s forget all networks. Otherwise, it will turn back on after next drive.

It didn't work. It just doesn't connect to LTE while in my garage.

For comparison, I've been parking a model s in the same garage bay since 2014 and this is a new problem for me. The car until recent months has always quickly connected to the app.
Ah yes, if you've no LTE connectivity in your garage the "no Wifi" approach isn't going to work. The suggestion was just to try and rule out a home router or access point related issue.

Ah yes, if you've no LTE connectivity in your garage the "no Wifi" approach isn't going to work. The suggestion was just to try and rule out a home router or access point related issue.
I have always had signal there with a previous MS. I'm not sure if my antenna is bad or the new S uses less power for the LTE antenna. Regardless, I now have to go down to my car in the garage and wake it up manually, like a peasant. /s

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
I think Tesla broke something a while ago. In the last few months, more often than not I cannot wake the car. I have also - rarely - had the car have no mobile connectivity when I unlock it. Yet in the first 18 months of ownership it was nearly flawless.

If I had to guess, I'd say that perhaps Tesla updated the firmware on the cellular modern, and that broke something. If that's the case, then it may depend on what model of cellular modern your car has - since Tesla has a habit of regularly updating their hardware designs there may be more than one model/version in use...

Reactions: ShibbyRomes
My 2021 Model Y LR has been having this issue intermittently for the last year. For the first year of ownership my phone could always wake up and connect to the car, without fail. Then, sometime early of this year, suddenly my phone began to have problems waking the car, but only when it is parked at my house. I have zero problems with the app connecting to the car everywhere else, it only happens at home.

I also disable sentry at home so the car can truly sleep, and I'm sure this is part of the issue because if I leave sentry mode on while at home then my app can connect every time in the driveway.

As a test, I parked the car at a restaurant and turned sentry mode off while we ate. After a bit I opened my app to connect to the car and sure enough it would not wake the car up. I've also tried turning off my home wifi network but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Funny thing is this isn't consistent. Sometimes my phone can wake the MY in my driveway, I'd say about 1 out of 8 tries or so.

It's definitely a problem with the phone app waking the car while it's in sleep mode, but I can't figure out why or how to fix it. From what I've read online LOTS of people are having this issue in the past year though, so it's not uncommon.

Thank you Mengy. Our house and garage in Maine have great wifi but little to no cell signal. Begninning in November (I think), the app began to have trouble seeing our cars at home. So we couldn’t pre-warm them without a trip to the garage. After having Teslas since the first Model S release, we have never had this problem before, but our cars also always had good cell signals. Based on your post I enabled Sentry mode and unticked the exclusions for every driver profile and it worked! Now the App sees the cars all the time. It was important to check everything driver profile. If even one Profile excludes the location, the car will sleep and the app will not wake the car because the car has no cell connection to “hear” the wake up call from Tesla. Thanks again Mengy.