Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apparently no NA model 3s are being produced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First month of the quarter this has been true for at least 3 quarters now ; probably longer.

it is Telsa's business model ; cars take months to get made and over to Europe to sell so if they want to sell a car in Europe before end of quarter it needs to be made in the first month of the same quarter
That equals no US production in the first month.
Also means come 2nd half of each quarter they are not making any European bound cars.

When they get the European factory up and running that will change but until then it is how it will be.
if you think about it makes sense.

This is really good info and lines up with what I see on the ordering spreadsheet. It's a small sample size but no one from the US seems to have gotten a car with a VIN higher than 650,000. Anecdotally, the ones that have gotten cars seem to be holdovers from last month..

Okay, going to stop getting my hopes up each morning :)

This is really good info and lines up with what I see on the ordering spreadsheet. It's a small sample size but no one from the US seems to have gotten a car with a VIN higher than 650,000. Anecdotally, the ones that have gotten cars seem to be holdovers from last month..

WIth older VINs like that, do you ever worry that these are the cars that were refused at delivery due to some defects (paint, aligment or otherwise) ?

I ordered 3 weeks ago and was told I would likely get it sometime in March. I got a text last week saying 1-4 weeks, but its been 1 week and so far no VIN. So its entirely possible this is correct and they may start NA Model 3s in the new few weeks.

I don't think your postulation is correct. This is a perfect example of the sample size being too small making your confidence interval too large to be significant.

My VIN number is 642xxx and it is verified by the SA that it is just now coming from the factory in Fremont California on a train. I received my VIN number on 1/25 but my delivery date is 2/11. So this is not a holdover from December. And another forum member in GA is picking his up on 2/12 and it's coming from Fremont - most likely on the same train as mine, and I assume that he has a similar VIN number.

I don't think your postulation is correct. This is a perfect example of the sample size being too small making your confidence interval too large to be significant.

My VIN number is 642xxx and it is verified by the SA that it is just now coming from the factory in Fremont California on a train. I received my VIN number on 1/25 but my delivery date is 2/11. So this is not a holdover from December. And another forum member in GA is picking his up on 2/12 and it's coming from Fremont - most likely on the same train as mine, and I assume that he has a similar VIN number.

I did say the sample size was small.. and you're putting your confidence in the what the SA told you? :D

I'm using dreamgt's example from this post: Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet
VIN 646xxx which is newer than yours, original paired owner didn't grab it on the 18th of January and DreamGT got it 3 days later. Maybe there's a chance dream's car came from the factory and wasn't destined for someone else who couldn't/wouldn't take delivery? Dunno?

My only confidence at this point is I'm not getting my car anytime soon (before March)

It sucks but we all pretty much have gone through the same process. I ordered at beginning of the 4th quarter last year and waited 83 days. All cars produced the first month went to Europe, then Tesla started delivering SR’s to east coast first working their way west with deliveries until those people getting Performance models on the west coast delivered last.

It sucks but we all pretty much have gone through the same process. I ordered at beginning of the 4th quarter last year and waited 83 days. All cars produced the first month went to Europe, then Tesla started delivering SR’s to east coast first working their way west with deliveries until those people getting Performance models on the west coast delivered last.

Come to think of it, when we ordered the X it was at the very end of September and we got notification in early October and delivery by October 10. So yeah, this lines up if their Q4 began in October.

The silver lining for me is my delusional hope they run out of chrome door handles and begin using the ones they bought for the Y and I won’t have to brother with chrome delete.

• Funny
Reactions: Sherlo
Come to think of it, when we ordered the X it was at the very end of September and we got notification in early October and delivery by October 10. So yeah, this lines up if their Q4 began in October.

The silver lining for me is my delusional hope they run out of chrome door handles and begin using the ones they bought for the Y and I won’t have to brother with chrome delete.
Yes, i would have loved to have had that option. Thankfully i did get the new performance wheels.

I don’t think this true either. My VIN was 635xxx; got the car last week and the manufacturer date was 01/20 so it wasn’t a holdover from last quarter.
Yeah VIN doesn't really mean squat when it comes to when your car was made. Mine is a 641xxx .......and your single data point doesn't stand up to thousands of people who wait for tesla to start building cars for the US market almost every quarter. At the end of the quarter last Dec Tesla advertised lots of “inventory” cars that were earmarked for the US but had not been made yet. Most likely this is what you bought. Do some reading, it happens every quarter. You got lucky. But I’m sure you know better given your 25 days of experience being a member of this forum.

Last edited:
Lol I might be complete off base and that’s fine. I’m giving up because my understanding might/is/probably wrong, and that’s fine.

Don’t call me a hypocrite.... if I’m wrong I will admit it. :)
Just pulling your chain of course. :p But on a serious note, when I first got my VIN I admittedly panicked because of rumors of bad quality at the end of 2019 as Tesla supposedly rushed cars through. The first thing I did was check the spreadsheet, my expectation was that I would get a 650xxx VIN. And then the second thing I did was call the DC and ask for the current location of my car. So I think that the VIN is less an indicator of the production date.

Reactions: GigaGrunt
Just pulling your chain of course. :p But on a serious note, when I first got my VIN I admittedly panicked because of rumors of bad quality at the end of 2019 as Tesla supposedly rushed cars through. The first thing I did was check the spreadsheet, my expectation was that I would get a 650xxx VIN. And then the second thing I did was call the DC and ask for the current location of my car. So I think that the VIN is less an indicator of the production date.

That’s why I’m beating myself up. Right after New Years there was one sitting in the Marin location and I coulda walked in and got that. Nothing changed between January 1 and January 8 when I put I my order. Owning an X and only supercharging I had a lot of conversations with owners who got theirs around the time tesla made the model 3 push and they swear tesla just slapped the cars together and let the service centers deal with quality issues. Exactly what I was looking to avoid as model Y production looms. You might be right about the VIN though look at the sheet and the dude in HK who has a 690xxx.

That’s why I’m beating myself up. Right after New Years there was one sitting in the Marin location and I coulda walked in and got that. Nothing changed between January 1 and January 8 when I put I my order. Owning an X and only supercharging I had a lot of conversations with owners who got theirs around the time tesla made the model 3 push and they swear tesla just slapped the cars together and let the service centers deal with quality issues. Exactly what I was looking to avoid as model Y production looms. You might be right about the VIN though look at the sheet and the dude in HK who has a 690xxx.
I had a Dec 27th delivery and i have absolutely no quality problems.

I had a Dec 27th delivery and i have absolutely no quality problems.
The X had had door alignment issues for the falcon wing right off the bat when we got it in October of 2019. So long as the car was parked downhill and not uphill it would not detect and obstruction and shut properly. A blind person could see how misaligned it was. Even started tearing the wrap each time it closed. Prior to them adjusting it at the SC, 1 in 4 chance the door wouldn’t shut while parked uphill. Now it’s more like 1 in 10. Yes, I’ve been keeping track. Kinda hard to avoid hills in SF.

Again it’s a fear and it may we’ll be unwarranted with the 3.

You could also post this thread the other way around. Why should NA cars be more important? It shouldn’t matter where you live, right?

it’s just a matter of a few weeks waiting for a car you buy once every X years. What’s the problem?