Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Pay / cupholder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

woodisgood

Optimustic Pessimist
Jul 26, 2018
San Francisco
I've noticed that if I set my iPhone (8) in the cupholder, Apple Pay pops up on my phone. At first I thought it was some random phone glitch, but then figured out it was related to putting the phone in the cupholder. I presume the phone is interacting with the keycard hardware, which is RFID/NFC?

Anyone else see this?

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset and Kalex
I've noticed that if I set my iPhone (8) in the cupholder, Apple Pay pops up on my phone. At first I thought it was some random phone glitch, but then figured out it was related to putting the phone in the cupholder. I presume the phone is interacting with the keycard hardware, which is RFID/NFC?

Anyone else see this?
Yes. If you put your phone next to the driver’s b-pillar, you’ll get the same.

Maybe this is how people will pay for ride sharing in the future, lol. :p

Anyone else see this?

I saw it yesterday in my Model 3. I thought I had done something on my watch..but this makes sense.

Reactions: woodisgood
fseir - your probably on to something. This would be the way to know for certain someone entering is the same person on the Tesla Network app. In the shorter term, Tesla could use this as another way to get owners in and turning on the car. Apple had closed the NFC connection when the 3 was first released, but could still be one of the options with the new fob.

Apple opening up (some) access to the iPhone’s NFC chip in iOS 11

Reactions: woodisgood