Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

Took delivery of my Model 3 Friday. LR RWD, AP. I wasn’t sure where to post this. I found an Apple Watch app called Commands. Needs to be installed from the Watch App Store on your iPhone. It appears to have most of the commands that the Tesla app for iPhone had. It’s pretty cool. Curious if anyone here has used the app. Let me know.
Cheers.

Do you know if the app requires a connection to the IPhone to work, or can you use it if your watch is just connected over cellular or WiFi but not near the IPhone?
Not sure how it works, but I suspect the watch app communicates with the phone app which communicates with the car. But the commands on the watch seem to work for me.

Some Apple Watch apps are designed to function completely on the watch without requiring the IPhone to be connected. This is especially useful for people with a cellular model of Apple Watch which can provide full functionality without an IPhone present.

The reason I’m curious is that I frequently go into my garage to get something out of my car, only to remember the car is locked and I don’t have my IPhone in my pocket. So I have to go back into the house and up the stairs to locate my IPhone so I can unlock the doors. But I always have my Apple Watch on, so that would be immensely useful to me if it worked independent of the IPhone.

It appears as I just checked that the app needs to be running on my iPhone. That said all the functions available work. So if you forget your phone, as long as the app is running on it the phone. Let me know how you make out.