Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, yes I know. I sold some 7/23 -c680s for $28+ last week, but then stupidly closed them too early for only 50% profit or so. I’m just trading too often and at the wrong times. Got to get more disciplined. I’m trying to reduce trading until after earnings, but…..
I've got a pile of cc that I would normally have open, but am waiting for Friday (most likely) to open. It's mildly agonizing doing nothing with them.

My concern with selling this Friday expiration is that gamma squeeze idea. I'm still learning about it, but based on what I know right now it is likely to push most of my trading out of expiration week.

Here is an example from this morning, using a position I closed a bit earlier this morning. The 675 call for this Friday expiration is currently trading at 2.60 and has a delta of .189 and a gamma of .01. Gamma will continue to rise as this position were to get closer to the share price, but I'll ignore that for this example.

On a $25 move up in the shares ($650 to $675) and using only delta I would expect that $25 move to increase the option price by .189*25 = 4.75. New option premium is 7.35.

But it's a lot worse. The .01 gamma means that each $1 move in the shares increases delta by .01. So that .19 (rounding) delta will increase .25 over that same move to .44. Let's average the new deltas to approximate - .44+.19 = .63/2 = .315. That $25 move will actually experience something closer to a 1/3rd (.33 - rounding again to make the math easy and be approximately correct) option price move of ~$8. The 2.60 option is really more like 10.60.

It's actually a bit worse than that as I rounded gamma down (a little, not a lot) to .01.

Time decay will be offsetting this increase to some extent - just not enough.

I still have a lot more to learn about this idea, but a quick takeaway from the initial view into this, is its an important component of why some people get out of trades with 21 days to go. I won't be doing anything that far out - I want to be adjusting strikes too frequently, if nothing else, to go that far out. But I will be increasing my bias to closing early in the week of expiration rather than riding things to the end of the week.

In this particular case I'm not concerned with a sharp move down of say $20 or even $40 - I consider those very unlikely. I AM concerned about a $50 move up. I don't really expect that either today or this week, but I also consider it to be possible and if it were to happen I don't want to be in front of it. So I closed some 675 calls for this week expiration at something closer to a 70% profit over the 90%+ profit that I think I would likely receive later in the week.

In short - I DO think 675 is safe for sold calls this week - I just don't think that it's safe enough for my income oriented strategy. If this weren't week before earnings I would be much more likely to let it ride another day.

My plan with these CC positions that I normally keep open but currently have closed is to wait for later in the week - probably Friday - and sell into the higher IV and share price that I expect then. In my case - sell the rumor and buy the news - looking for IV crush and post earnings share price drop.

Unfortunately, yes I know. I sold some 7/23 -c680s for $28+ last week, but then stupidly closed them too early for only 50% profit or so. I’m just trading too often and at the wrong times. Got to get more disciplined. I’m trying to reduce trading until after earnings, but…..
$14 realized profit - yeah that's really rough :D

In this particular case I'm not concerned with a sharp move down of say $20 or even $40 - I consider those very unlikely. I AM concerned about a $50 move up. I don't really expect that either today or this week, but I also consider it to be possible and if it were to happen I don't want to be in front of it. So I closed some 675 calls for this week expiration at something closer to a 70% profit over the 90%+ profit that I think I would likely receive later in the week.

Yeah. I would like to sell a covered call for Friday expiration. Lately max pain has been a pretty reliable indicator. But after a very strong day yesterday and another rise today, leading into earnings, I don't think anything under the $700 call wall is necessarily safe. I don't want to sell a $665 call for decent money and have it blow right past that, or a $700 call for $0.71 (at last check), that's not worth even the small risk of a blowout rise into earnings. I'm hoping to have more clarity later in the week and maybe sell something tomorrow or Thursday if it starts to seem like the market makers have things under control. I'm just unconvinced so far.

I wonder if I should just skip to 7/30 expiration... it would be completely normal to see a sell-the-news type of reaction mid-next-week. It just hasn't been so long since the days of 2020 up-up-up that I feel good counting on that.

So, no selling calls for me just now. (I did early-roll a $650 put today for much more than it's been making the past couple weeks, so there's that.)

I am VERY call-heavy into earnings... and i am still very bullish.
But today i did 55x STO $720 call turning the assorted stuff into PMCCs for this week. Got only pennies for it, but it eases off a bit of theta-pressure - and 720 is a place where i would happily part all my calls expiring friday for ..
plus it is a big call-wall in the open-interest chart - so i hope i can close them for less than 5 cent each with an accompanying call.

98e54b5dde6964235b3a0277adfa4384.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Tslynk67 and adiggs
TSLA over 25% below its ATH when SPY/QQQ/AAPL/FANG (besides Netflix, that thing is done. Netflix should just pay dividends at this point) on the days before possibly HISTORIC top and bottom line beats..

Selling calls for 3 days this week does not seem worth it..

I'm even riding 650 short puts.

If one were to sell calls, I'd do it at the close of Friday. And I'd only do it on shares I wouldn't care about losing.

Reactions: buttershrimp
I sold 650s for this week at $7.40 ea. Now $16...

My second week not going so well. Max pain remains 650 - do I ride it out?

Another question. How do I get the best price? The price was $9 when I sold at $7.40. Increasing to 4 calls from 2 seemed to help. I was trying to be patient...

It’s weird that the volume is staying so low. You would think that gives the market makers the opportunity to steer this ship right back to max pain. But they certainly didn’t manage that yesterday! And I have trouble think the price *won’t* go up into record earnings. Bottom line, I’m not sure what’s coming but $645 wouldn’t surprise me and a bump this week with fall next week wouldn’t surprise me and a long steady climb wouldn’t surprise me.

today I killed off an irritating DITM -p760; I had been rolling it for credit, but now it's too far at Dec 17 and it's tying up $37k margin

i used the "roll-split" solution (ie convert a PUT into a BPS with lower strike that will OTM the position)

BTC 12/17 x1 -p760 $15k debit
STO 8/6 x40 BPS +p600/-p620 $19k credit

i could have just taken the $19k and leave the -p760 to fix itself someday, but i'd rather use the $37k margin to make $ now

today I killed off an irritating DITM -p760; I had been rolling it for credit, but now it's too far at Dec 17 and it's tying up $37k margin

i used the "roll-split" solution (ie convert a PUT into a BPS with lower strike that will OTM the position)

i could have just taken the $19k and leave the -p760 to fix itself someday, but i'd rather use the $37k margin to make $ now
I like that move for sure. Also love the new signature line......

Reactions: Yoona

I am looking at doing something similar, though not nearly as aggressive as what you've put on. My analysis of your position is that you're turning a position with a max loss of $76k on a share price move down to $0, into a position that likely resolves, but goes to max loss on a share price under $600 (you'll roll before that of course).

I think I'm going with:
BTC 7/23 x1 -p760
STO 7/30 x4 BPS +p460/-p660 for a trivial credit.

Similar amount of money at risk but a lot longer runway if the shares go badly against me. I'm also looking for a bigger IV crush impact post-earnings, realizing that we're not having all that much of an IV increase going into earnings :)

Pretty good chance that I also throw on a 'free' credit call spread - something like an 750/950, or more aggressive (2-4x the contracts) at 750/800 or 800/850, though I'll likely wait on this for now.

EDIT to add: Another way I'm thinking about this new position - I'm taking on a particularly aggressive position (for me) in which I am attempting to earn in 1 week the ~$11k loss I've got stored up in that 760p. Looking for a share price above $660 for next Friday doesn't sound all that tough to me.

I've been wrapping up 7/23 BPS this morning as well for small debits, net 90-95% gains on those. I'll be looking at opening new Aug 7 BPS later. The shares going down this morning makes it sound like a good time to be doing that.

Last edited:
It appears that the July 30 IV is particularly good compared to Aug 7. The July 23 BPS I pulled off today are turning into July 30 480/580s, net credit in the $5 range. Since I'm looking for $3 per week this is particularly good, though I'm also up at the 15ish delta instead of the 10ish delta.

The strike prices are still very much to my liking, and the Aug 7 positions weren't enough better strikes for similar credits, or enough more credit, to be worth going out another week.

I have most of my 'slots' for covered calls and call credit spreads available. Very few of these open right now as I'm looking for a better entry price/ strike later this week.

Nothing left for 7/23 expiration at this point, and a whole bunch for 7/30.

Now I HRH for a >660 share price next week - if I get it, then the hell puts are finished.

Based on where things are today, I opened a set of the +460 -560 Jul30 bull put spreads - very similar to the ones that adiggs was looking at earlier. I figure this "feels" like a low to me. I'm a LOT more wary about opening cc's this week. I've actually only got puts and put spreads open and depending on what the price does today/tomorrow, I might stick with that through earnings. Just feel like there's way more of a chance of a big jump than in any other week, so why play with fire this week. If i was more confident i might buy calls, but traditonally IV crush over earnings makes that a bad idea, and i've had horrible track record on anything shorter than a year out on bought calls.