Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Approaching the Unknown - Mars Movie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, numerous online reviews are generally negative. From what little has been revealed about the plot, it appears that the film is about the first human to be sent to Mars. He is sent alone, on a one-way mission. Another person, a woman, is being sent separately.

And that... makes no sense whatsoever. Humans are social. Sending someone all by themselves on a very risky mission off Earth and knowing they aren't coming back would make most people crack up. And there is no plausible reason to take that approach on a Mars mission.

I assume the film offers some sort of justification for such a mission. I would like to know what it is. But I'm not paying more than a few bucks to watch a film with such an implausible premise.

Reactions: Caligula
Yeah, this movie looks problematic. I generally can't stand sci fi movies that try to push a story of a psycho astronaut. The astronauts generally go through enormous amounts of vetting to make sure they don't send up someone who could get himself, and the mission, in trouble. I'm reminded of the SUNSHINE film, and PROMETHEUS, where the crew is chock full of whiny, petty, self-centered brats, rather than professionals.

well then.........haha. I agree it's odd that the story line has a man sent to Mars by himself, but we don't know the setup to that either.....I love space movies so I might check it out anyway....

Yeah, this movie looks problematic. I generally can't stand sci fi movies that try to push a story of a psycho astronaut. The astronauts generally go through enormous amounts of vetting to make sure they don't send up someone who could get himself, and the mission, in trouble. I'm reminded of the SUNSHINE film, and PROMETHEUS, where the crew is chock full of whiny, petty, self-centered brats, rather than professionals.

There's always outliers.

"There was widespread reaction to Nowak's arrest with concerns expressed about NASA's astronaut selection and screening process and planned 30-month missions to Mars..."

Lisa Nowak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Astronaut Charged With Attempted Murder