Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM tow hitch safety chains?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Looks like the safety chain hook location on the OEM hitch is a pain in the butt to reach and will let the chains rub on the rear bumper cover. Does anyone make a ball mount that has safety chain hook locations on it to extend the safety chains away from the bumper? It is my understanding that most hook up failures are the trailer popping off of the ball, not the ball mount itself falling out of the receiver... if this is incorrect let me know :)

Also, I installed the OEM hitch myself including the OEM trailer wiring harness... will trailer mode magically appear the first time I plug a trailer in, or would I need a service appointment to have the car updated? I don't really care about trailer mode as long as the trailer lights work. Hmmm, will the trailer lights work if I don't have traler mode?

Thanks for any information,

Keith

My Model Y goes into Trailer Mode when it detects an electrical connection to the trailer. And goes out of that mode on disconnect (I believe).

I'm guessing the trailer lights will work even if not in Trailer Mode (like if you turned that mode off after making the connection). But, I believe the manual says not to pull a trailer when not in Trailer Mode (and vice-versa).

On the chain rubbing issue, I have the plastic-coated cables, so didn't consider it a problem. Possibly you could add some short versions of that (one foot) to get the connection point to your chains to be past the rubbing area? Admittedly that adds another pair of potential failure points though.

Hey guys,

Looks like the safety chain hook location on the OEM hitch is a pain in the butt to reach and will let the chains rub on the rear bumper cover. Does anyone make a ball mount that has safety chain hook locations on it to extend the safety chains away from the bumper? It is my understanding that most hook up failures are the trailer popping off of the ball, not the ball mount itself falling out of the receiver... if this is incorrect let me know :)

Also, I installed the OEM hitch myself including the OEM trailer wiring harness... will trailer mode magically appear the first time I plug a trailer in, or would I need a service appointment to have the car updated? I don't really care about trailer mode as long as the trailer lights work. Hmmm, will the trailer lights work if I don't have traler mode?

Thanks for any information,

Keith
Fighting trailer light issues myself. However, it looks like trailer mode affects other functions, like braking, auto park, etc. and it appears the mode has no impact on lights.

Reactions: Fourdoor