Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are all rear motors the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m taking delivery of a mid-range Model 3 tomorrow and I was wondering if all the rear motors across the different models (LR, LR AWD, performance) are the same?

Some informantion when the mid range was announced guessed that the mid range might get a different cheaper rear motor to save costs.

There are three different part numbers in the catalog for rear motors. However, it is not clear what motor corresponds to what, exactly.

Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog

For sure, there are REAR motor drive units with insulated-gate bipolar transistors (IGBT) and other units with field-effect transistors (MOSFET) as key components (they control the massive current drive!) of the inverter/converter unit. MOSFET-LC I believe means low capacitance (gate) - but not sure.

Again, exactly how these are used in vehicles - I don’t know. I do know that a third part number appeared around the time of the MR - but may be unrelated.

However, I think this suggests that the units may be different, at least in how the inverter/converter is constructed (which would likely affect maximum torque available even if the motor itself were identical).

So, I would be cautious about assuming the same drive unit for MR, or even for all of the vehicles with the 75kWh battery.

You can look up the parts catalog on the Tesla website. In some cases, it is easy to determine which vehicle the different parts correspond to (for example for the battery pack and charger “penthouse” units - only 32A for the MR). But it is not explicit for the motors.

Last edited:
There are three different part numbers in the catalog for rear motors. However, it is not clear what motor corresponds to what, exactly.

For sure, there are REAR motor drive units with insulated-gate bipolar transistors (IGBT) and other units with field-effect transistors (MOSFET) as key components (they control the massive current drive!) of the inverter/converter unit. MOSFET-LC I believe means low capacitance (gate) - but not sure.

Again, exactly how these are used in vehicles - I don’t know. I do know that a third part number appeared around the time of the MR - but may be unrelated.

However, I think this suggests that the units may be different, at least in how the inverter/converter is constructed (which would likely affect maximum torque available even if the motor itself were identical).

So, I would be cautious about assuming the same drive unit for MR, or even for all of the vehicles with the 75kWh battery.

You can look up the parts catalog on the Tesla website. In some cases, it is easy to determine which vehicle the different parts correspond to (for example for the battery pack and charger “penthouse” units - only 32A for the MR). But it is not explicit for the motors.
Interesting find. It could also be Tesla is trying to forestall a controversy and adding 3 part numbers to match the current lineup. The reason I think this is Elon himself said "AC induction front & switched reluctance, partial permanent magnet rear. Silicon Carbide inverters in both. Performance drive units are lot sorted for highest sigma output & get double the burn-in." Notice, he did not mention performance motors have better transistors (mosfets) which would have a more obvious answer.

Interesting find. It could also be Tesla is trying to forestall a controversy and adding 3 part numbers to match the current lineup. The reason I think this is Elon himself said "AC induction front & switched reluctance, partial permanent magnet rear. Silicon Carbide inverters in both. Performance drive units are lot sorted for highest sigma output & get double the burn-in." Notice, he did not mention performance motors have better transistors (mosfets) which would have a more obvious answer.

I always thought the semiconductors were more likely to be the distinguishing feature. Also expensive part of the drive unit. LC FETs for what it is worth are “better” from what I understand...

Anyway, more definitive information posted to this thread - the MR and SR definitely have different drive units:

Last edited:
So, in summary, the answer to the original question is “No”, the hardware is different; there are at least three versions of the rear motor. More detailed speculation & evidence for the claim is in the other thread referenced above.

However, @Swampgator, my conclusion in that thread is that there is still not public information indicating a distinct part number for the Performance rear drive units. There a 4 (well 5 including SR) versions of the car. But just 3 motors in the catalog.