Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are cheaper aftermarket battery packs on the horizon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are a couple companies that will refurbish a pack for less than Tesla. I am wondering if there are any true aftermarket packs under development? Having an older Model S gives me anxiety...
Based on my personal need to pay Tesla 5 figures for a NEW (not reman) replacement pack over a year ago and closely watching the 2012-15 MS/X replacement pack landscape, I think there will be no NEW MS/X after market packs under development. Currently Tesla is the only one making NEW packs.

Everything else out there in the replacement pack world is 10+ year old material meant to last, at best, 3 years based on warranties. Further, due to small number of MS/Xs I doubt any entrepreneur can make a living researching, producing, and scaling NEW replacement MS/X packs. Due to volume of M3/Ys, there is a possibility of NEW replacement packs outside of Tesla.

Further, you are right that there are a couple companies that will refurbished a pack for less, the only one currently less is Recell on their 210+ pack replacement option but that is not an apples to apples comparion. If you look at Recell's 240+ option at $9995, then that is apples to apples comparison. Here's why:

$10k USD - That seems to be the current market rate for an 85 kWh used/reman/salvage replacement pack that gives the owner a rated range of around 240 miles. Just the pack. Any applicable labor, taxes, and warranty (explained below) are extra.
$10k includes Tesla, 3rd party professionals and salvage yards. Tesla bundles in a 4 year/50k mile warranty while others offer warranties at an extra cost. Each year of warranty seems to range from $1250-$1500/year. e.g. Tesla's basic $15k=$10k pack + (4) x $1250 warranty. Of course, Tesla does not break things down like this, but based on 3rd party warranty fees, a reasonable comparison.
So your decision around that magic $10k number for a 85 kWh used/reman/salvage replacement pack revolves around warranty and convenience of location/time.
P.S. - Add $4k for Tesla's NEW (not reman) pack.

Last edited:
Reactions: sonofagunn
Upvote 0