TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Are cops leniant on Model 3s?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by JetFalcon, Feb 11, 2019.

1. JetFalcon

JetFalcon Member

First day I took delivery, I got pulled over in my Model 3 dual motor. I guess I was having a victory run for my first car, and I was excited to try out the acceleration. And I got carried away, and gunned every intersection that turned green, to feel the launch.

When I got pulled over, the police said something like he saw me gunning it every intersection, but he saw once I got to 70mph, I would stop speeding and come to a cruising speed. And for whatever reason, he gave me a warning, even though I truly felt he had the power to **** my day and just give me a speeding ticket. I guess he was a cool cop, and he was interested in the car, asking about EVs and Teslas.

When I had the BMW M3, I did a warning once when i got pulled over for cruising up to 90mph on an empty freeway. But then I got pulled over once by a CHP who was sitting on the side of the highway just looking to write speeding tickets. Only doing 80mph on this two lane highway that was empty, and I was in neutral going downhill.

I had my doubts of the Model 3 thinking its more prone to speeding tickets because it accelerates so fast. But also I realize having autopilot can help keep your car at legal speeds since you will be less tempted to speed, maybe the human mind wants to drive faster to get home faster.

I'm not really sure if cops really pick on sports cars or do they treat all cars equally? If that same cop saw me driving the BMW M3 the same way I did with the Model 3, I don't know if he would be down to give me a warning. But then, I would really be pushing my BMW M3 really hard if I accelerated it at every stop light, while the Model 3 does it like no big deal.

• Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

This is not the officer's fault ...

This is not the car's fault...

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  3. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

Please don't drive in neutral especially downhill

4. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

I got pulled over a month ago for "Estimated speeding" when I had a little fun on an interstate on ramp. I'm pretty sure he was only looking for drunk drivers as it was midnight on a Saturday. He asked for license & registration and if I was drinking. He never ran my information, just told me to take it easy as the ramps are getting a little slick. Three minutes later I was on my way with no warning or anything.

5. Dre78

Dre78 Member

it's really to the officer's discretion, but it is a source of revenue.

It's so easy (and efficient) to set EAP to +5mph and stay in right/middle lanes! I've never driven so legally in quite a while...

• Like x 2
  6. Frunkenstein

Frunkenstein Member

Agree! And it really paints a picture on just how bad other drivers are too. 70 MPH speed limits here mean nothing to most. I set anywhere from 75 to 78 to keep up with the flow of traffic, and people are still flying past me weaving in and out of traffic like they are at the Indy 500. And that right there is my concern with Autopilot in moderate traffic.

• Like x 1
  7. 3TRAY

3TRAY Vendor

I was pulled over for turning right on red, where it was posted not to. I just didn't see the sign, but I was cool about it and acknowledged it and the Officer was cool about it also.
    While he was at my car, he noticed that I didn't have any inspection/emissions stickers on my windshield and asked me about it. I said that I thought that EVs didn't need any stickers. SInce he wasn't sure what the law was for EVs, he just let me go on all counts.

• Funny x 1