Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

are insurance companies dropping folks with Tesla powerwalls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not unusual for insurance companies all of a sudden wanting more trees and shrubs cut around your house than in the past. even demanding roof replacements.
Yep ... that just happened to me. I had to remove ALL plants that were adjacent to my house or I would have been canceled. And because I'm in a fire zone, I can't get any other HO insurance, so I had to do as the insurance company told me. My front yard is now a barren wasteland.

In Iowa, my installer wouldn't proceed with the installation until my insurance company gave the okay. Way back in 2019. I don't think they are looking for reasons to cut customer risk over here. However, my current Powerwall basement installation would no longer be allowed.

David

Are we supposed to report solar install to home insurance company?

Do they regularly drive around to each of their insured properties to do cursory inspections for new additions?
They may look at recent satellite pictures. Happened in a family friend's neighborhood not long ago. Or if they have agents in the city, they would come out, take pictures, etc.

I believe I told my insurance about all the solar and batteries, since if I had a fire, its like 200K worth of stuff I would need replaced.
I did raise my house value to has high as I could without having to do other things like sprinkler systems I believe

Are we supposed to report solar install to home insurance company?

Do they regularly drive around to each of their insured properties to do cursory inspections for new additions?

When your insurance company sends out its renewal survey and asks if you made any property improvements, if you say "no" to that, then have a covered loss, those panels would not be covered.

They dont have to drive around, they can do google maps and see rooftops of properties. Google maps isnt immediate in updating pictures like this, but over 6 months to a year, the picture will likely be updated, so they will know.

This is similar to asking "If I re do my kitchen, and change it from builder grade to custom, do I need to tell my insurance company?" The same answer applies, which is "if you expect it to be covered, you should".